Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Employees: You be the Judge

Get real-life reviews of key court cases involving federal employees. Share your opinion on the outcomes of these cases, or participate in other discussions about workplace issues that may impact your job.

Be civil when debating with others in the forum. Uncivil remarks toward any other forum member is prohibited on FederalSoup and should be reported immediately.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
keys724  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2019 12:45:55 AM(UTC)
keys724

Groups: Registered
United States

I am under probation and wondering if it will show on my sf50 that i was fired. I am battling depression that started after work began and performance is not good.
FedCivServ  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2019 4:55:21 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Have you gotten fired yet? If not but you think it’s coming you might ask if you can resign instead...
keys724  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2019 6:15:22 AM(UTC)
keys724

United States

I read the regulation and it says that if I resign, the reason wont show on my sf50 since I am on probation so it would be smart to ask to resign.

So the next question is, if the terminate me and I ask to resign, wouldnt that be the same as being terminated because I was given the option or would that be the same if I was to resign on my own.

Edited by user Wednesday, January 2, 2019 6:20:07 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

FedCivServ  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2019 8:17:55 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 139 post(s)
If they let you resign that is what your sf50 will say. If anyone checks your references later they would truthfully be able to say you resigned. But a bigger question is this: do you have any desire to stay? If so have a frank discussion about your health situation, say you are getting help (hopefully you are) and ask for another chance. If they are unwilling then you could ask to resign. But most people are kind and want to be helpful so they may say yes. Good luck to you regardless...
DroneBee  
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2019 11:59:06 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 116 time(s) in 99 post(s)
Beware of two things:
1) If you are going to be involuntarily removed but resign beforehand, then the agency could state on your SF-50 a Nature of Action Code (NOAC) of 312 (Resignation - ILIA (in lieu of involuntary action)) instead of 317 (Resignation). The 312 may be a red-flag to future HR personnel. Make sure that your SF-50 will be assigned a NOAC of 317.
2) If you apply for a new job the OF-306 will ask if you "quit after being told that you would be fired, did you leave any job because of specific problems."

I wish you good luck and God Speed.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
SD Analyst on 1/7/2019(UTC)
FrankJr  
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 6, 2019 6:20:40 AM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 115 time(s) in 106 post(s)
Originally Posted by: keys724 Go to Quoted Post
I am under probation and wondering if it will show on my sf50 that i was fired. I am battling depression that started after work began and performance is not good.

Depression is a disability. Pursue actions via EEOC and ADA and FMLA and... Are you working with HR and management and a medical professional? Unless the depression is a result of the actual job the depression will continue to be an issue after the fact. The noted processes are excessive paperwork for both the employee and the employer and time consuming. Use the processes to your advantage.

I am of the opinion unemployment benefits are of value and to wait to be fired to dramatically increase the chances of receiving unemployment benefits. The "resigned in lieu of termination" is nothing more than a legal loophole to limit unemployment benefits.

The feds are the only hiring organization focused on prior terminations. As a rule future employers are focused on the ability of an employee to successfully reenter the workforce within 12 months. Firing in the private sector is not uncommon.
Hawaiiannative  
#7 Posted : Monday, January 7, 2019 4:26:58 PM(UTC)
Hawaiiannative

United States

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 30 post(s)
If you quit, due to disability, too depressed to work, that makes you ineligible for Unemployment benefits.

If you quit, rather than be terminated you will be asked, "Did you ever quit a position when told you would be terminated?" It is basically the same thing.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed