Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Dan01041986  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 02, 2019 4:41:54 PM(UTC)
Dan01041986

Groups: Registered
United States

Hello all,
Just curious as to what the interview may look like? I took my 473 and scored a 83.6 and got an email for an interview. It's scheduled for this Friday Jan 4th. Kinda nervous because I'm not sure what to expect but I really want this job not too into my current job and want out of it.
Thank you all
colty31  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 02, 2019 4:49:45 PM(UTC)
colty31

United States

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 59 post(s)
My CCA interview was basically them telling me about the job and making sure I "still" wanted it.

I wouldn't stress about it, but dress professionally and make it seem like you can do the job/want to do the job.
roger.d  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 02, 2019 4:54:26 PM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Was thanked: 656 time(s) in 505 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Dan01041986 Go to Quoted Post
Hello all,
Just curious as to what the interview may look like? I took my 473 and scored a 83.6 and got an email for an interview. It's scheduled for this Friday Jan 4th. Kinda nervous because I'm not sure what to expect but I really want this job not too into my current job and want out of it.
Thank you all

Out of the fire, into the frying pan....

Read at least the 1st post for every thread on the 1st 2 pages here. The PO can be a great place to work. It can also be a h.e.l.l hole.

Be presentable. Dockers, collered shirt. Show up on time/early.

Depending on where you are, if you show up, you are hired.

Learn to discipline yourself, so someone else doesn't have to
Dan01041986  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 02, 2019 5:33:54 PM(UTC)
Dan01041986

United States

Thabks. I currently work for the State but want to change jobs. I noticed that the USPS posted 3 posting for CCA's in my area over the past week so hopefully I can get into the PO
Hannah Blector  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 02, 2019 5:43:01 PM(UTC)
Hannah Blector

Was thanked: 1091 time(s) in 715 post(s)
Thabks. I currently work for the State but want to change jobs. I noticed that the USPS posted 3 posting for CCA's in my area over the past week so hopefully I can get into the PO

All municipalities are different. But I know municipal workers who are shocked when they find out what FERS postal retirement pays. One policeman who made regular almost as soon as he was hired as a carrier quit and went back to being a cop. He was floored when I told him the retirement percentages. Of course, there are many factors in these decisions, including the pay, benefits, and what work you want to do.
Hannah Blector  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 02, 2019 5:44:05 PM(UTC)
Hannah Blector

UPS should be considered. I learned too late that I should have hired on there over the USPS.
colty31  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 02, 2019 6:21:33 PM(UTC)
colty31

United States

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Hannah Blector Go to Quoted Post
UPS should be considered. I learned too late that I should have hired on there over the USPS.

Not if one enjoys walking. We also work at a slower pace than UPS.
postalvet  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 02, 2019 6:25:49 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 2774 time(s) in 2175 post(s)

keep your state job!!!

cca is a huge step down.
Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
thanks 1 user thanked postalvet for this useful post.
MPE2009 on 1/4/2019(UTC)
roger.d  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, January 02, 2019 6:50:33 PM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

You know I respect you. But. .

On the delivery side, I believe the UPS drivers ar CURRENTlY monitored more than USPS drivers.

USPS is closing this gap very fast.
Hannah Blector  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 02, 2019 7:47:17 PM(UTC)
Hannah Blector

Originally Posted by: roger.d Go to Quoted Post

On the delivery side, I believe the UPS drivers ar CURRENTlY monitored more than USPS drivers.

I LOVE being monitored. GPS was a Godsend for me. I am STILL where I am supposed to be doing what I am supposed to be doing.

I also LOVE being watched in the office. It means managers are wasting their time. And, being a former manager, I know they have better things to do. I delight in any time any manager wastes on me.

Before GPS, managers could and would make up unfounded, baseless, and abusive allegations about what a carrier might or might not be doing. They can still make up stuff, but now there is proof when they are lying.

I don't feel one bit sorry for any carrier who does not like being monitored. We should be monitored. Ironically, it is the employees right under their noses that still get away with standing around when there is work to do.

And as far as what UPS drivers do, I am well aware of all that. I just talked to one today when we were both delivering a bunch of parcels to a business at the same time. With all I know and hear from UPS drivers and what I personally observe, I wish I had worked for them. A coworker recently jumped ship and got hired as a full-time UPS driver. He had half the time served as I, so it made sense for him. I am thrilled for him. In a few years he will make more than I and his health insurance and retirement will be much better.

It is fine if some people believe USPS is a better gig. Maybe it is for them. And I do love walking. And running, too. That is not something you can only do if you are a city carrier. I do it as a city carrier and also when I am not being a city carrier. No reason UPS workers cannot walk and run, too.
thanks 2 users thanked Hannah Blector for this useful post.
postalvet on 1/2/2019(UTC), roger.d on 1/2/2019(UTC)
Seadogg  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, January 02, 2019 8:26:30 PM(UTC)
Seadogg

Was thanked: 519 time(s) in 344 post(s)

I LOVE being monitored. GPS was a Godsend for me. I am STILL where I am supposed to be doing what I am supposed to be doing.

I also LOVE being watched in the office. It means managers are wasting their time. And, being a former manager, I know they have better things to do. I delight in any time any manager wastes on me.

Before GPS, managers could and would make up unfounded, baseless, and abusive allegations about what a carrier might or might not be doing. They can still make up stuff, but now there is proof when they are lying.

I don't feel one bit sorry for any carrier who does not like being monitored. We should be monitored. Ironically, it is the employees right under their noses that still get away with standing around when there is work to do.

And as far as what UPS drivers do, I am well aware of all that. I just talked to one today when we were both delivering a bunch of parcels to a business at the same time. With all I know and hear from UPS drivers and what I personally observe, I wish I had worked for them. A coworker recently jumped ship and got hired as a full-time UPS driver. He had half the time served as I, so it made sense for him. I am thrilled for him. In a few years he will make more than I and his health insurance and retirement will be much better.

It is fine if some people believe USPS is a better gig. Maybe it is for them. And I do love walking. And running, too. That is not something you can only do if you are a city carrier. I do it as a city carrier and also when I am not being a city carrier. No reason UPS workers cannot walk and run, too.

I agree about the monitoring. If I take a long time to deliver the mail and am not being monitored, I guarantee the bosses will assume I'm loafing around. It's only to my benefit for them to see what I'm doing. At least some of them are not psychopaths, and are more likely to lay off if they think I'm giving them an honest 8 hours.
Dan01041986  
#12 Posted : Friday, January 04, 2019 10:57:31 AM(UTC)
Dan01041986

United States

Just a quick update. Had my interview. Was scheduled for 10am got there at 915am. Got into the interview room and was told to fill my paperwork out. Had the I9 and some papers that needed signed and then 3 pages of questions to fill out. After all of that the 1on1 interview took place. I feel it went very well. She kept saying to me to keep an eye on my email. She said it last 10 times and once more again as we walked out of her office.
PhaseIVDBCS  
#13 Posted : Friday, January 04, 2019 12:05:33 PM(UTC)
PhaseIVDBCS

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 50 post(s)
Also check your spam folder just in case.
MPE2009  
#14 Posted : Friday, January 04, 2019 1:33:06 PM(UTC)
MPE2009

United States

Was thanked: 437 time(s) in 331 post(s)
Just a quick update. Had my interview. Was scheduled for 10am got there at 915am. Got into the interview room and was told to fill my paperwork out. Had the I9 and some papers that needed signed and then 3 pages of questions to fill out. After all of that the 1on1 interview took place. I feel it went very well. She kept saying to me to keep an eye on my email. She said it last 10 times and once more again as we walked out of her office.

Personally I suggest you delete the email and move on. If you are insistent on working at the post office, wait for a custodial position at a P&DC. From there you can promote to a mechanic or ET job. If they post on the external website for a mechanic or ET, go for it. But don't take a CCA job, or even MHA or PSE. You will regret it.
Dan01041986  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, January 09, 2019 6:07:53 PM(UTC)
Dan01041986

United States

Hello all it's been about a week now and starting to worry from things I read online. I've noticed a lot of people have submitted their driving record and drug test at the same time but I was only notified to submit a driving background.
belmont  
#16 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2019 2:38:29 PM(UTC)
belmont

Man
United States

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
A week in postal hiring is nothing. The process can take a month or longer. The drug test can come at any time. I've found they do often send those out on Fridays and Mondays. The drug test will come once you are officially ready to be offered the job.

Remember, there is no consistency in postal hiring. What one person gets in the next town can be completely different than what you get, despite being the same job.

Hello all it's been about a week now and starting to worry from things I read online. I've noticed a lot of people have submitted their driving record and drug test at the same time but I was only notified to submit a driving background.

Edited by user Thursday, January 10, 2019 2:39:55 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Smearski  
#17 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2019 1:50:55 AM(UTC)
Smearski

United States

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 14 post(s)

Your coworker that jumped ship got hired as a UPS driver off the bat? I thought they had to put in time as loaders before being able to be promoted to drivers.
roger.d  
#18 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2019 6:03:38 AM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Originally Posted by: Smearski Go to Quoted Post

<snip>

Your coworker that jumped ship got hired as a UPS driver off the bat? I thought they had to put in time as loaders before being able to be promoted to drivers.

A person at one of my deliveries was hired on as a driver after Thanksgiving. He started as a parcel runner. Now is on his own.
icedtheater  
#19 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2019 7:55:56 PM(UTC)
icedtheater

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Smearski Go to Quoted Post

They can hire on as a driver, but it's something like every 5th or 6th person can be hired off the street. I worked at UPS for 2 years as a re-loader and also did the clerk work and was the air driver on Saturday's. When given the chance to be the next driver I turned it down. I worked peak as a full time driver for 2 years and found out it wasn't for me. Those package cars are far more harsh on you than an llv is, the loaders I had sucked and would just throw the package in without even trying to get them organized, and finally the management sucked. The biggest thing I wish the post office did that UPS does is have you top out in pay after 3 years
Rss Feed  Atom Feed