Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

FBI

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is an agency of the United States Department of Justice that serves as both a federal criminal investigative body and an internal intelligence agency. The FBI has investigative jurisdiction over violations of more than 200 categories of federal crime.

Headquartered in Washington, DC, the FBI has over 55 field offices located throughout the USA as well as smaller units throughout the world.

Perhaps you are working for the FBI or interested in working for the FBI. Here is a forum to share your experience with the FBI.

92 Pages«<5152535455>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ratigan  
#1041 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2019 5:43:52 AM(UTC)
Ratigan

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Originally Posted by: tamvid11 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Tiny_Fed_69 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: CLARK5 Go to Quoted Post
The Meet and Greet varies in different areas as well (I'm not sure about Cinci).... I think it was about 3 weeks before I got an email invite to the Meet and Greet. At your Meet and Greet you'll learn all about your specific RO's process! That should help!

What exactly is the new hiring process. My application says Meet & Greet - is the PFT before this now? I'm earnestly waiting on hearing from my local office (Cinci).

Thanks. I'm hoping Cinci is part of the new pilot program - I'd like to do my PFT sooner rather than later, also I feel like they are more accepting of passing people through the interview who have already passed. I know DC and Detroit are on the pilot - and if you are AZ (Phoenix?).

Yes, I agree, I liked having the PFT done earlier! I believe (from what I gathered) the interview is a blind interview, so they know nothing about you prior and they have a system in which they rate/grade you during the interview in regards to how you answer the questions (SAR format)....so I wouldn't think passing the PFT prior would have any impact on the passing of PII, I think each part stands independently....but, it's certainly nice knowing that part (the PFT) is done and you can focus on preparing for the Phase II process! You'll do great!

Of course Phase II is still technically a separate and unbiased phase. But they're also very desperate for recruits and the PFT has been the bottleneck for them. So I think it's safe to say that they're probably much happier with you during PII knowing that you already passed the PFT. You won't get an automatic pass, but I'm sure as long as you aren't giving them a reason to fail you, you're probably good to go...

Yes it is technically a blind interview. I'm a Phase 2 redo, so I've experience this before. Definitely unique compared to the other federal agency interviews, since those usually include the person who is your applicant coordinator and they have reviewed your resume and background prior to the interview. The structure for all the interviews is the same though - 1 hour, 12-13 questions, and you had better use the STAR/SAR method. That is key to providing intelligent answers to their behavioral questions. The interviewers rank you and send your information up to HQ for a review - that is where I think having already completed the PFT will be handy. If the interviewers gave a relatively good review and scores you just on the fence - a passing PFT score could push them over to the Conditional Offer. From what I have seen, 2017 was a terrible year for people passing the Phase 2 interview and directly led to the overhaul of their hiring practices.

For those of you have done the new process - how many interviews are they conducting when you attended? When I did the Phase 2 in 2017 they conducted roughly 200 interviews in a single day. Are they still doing mass interview days like this?

They definitely did nothing like that at my (large) FO. I estimate that there were about 15 people there.
tamvid11  
#1042 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2019 6:14:11 AM(UTC)
tamvid11

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Ratigan Go to Quoted Post
The Meet and Greet varies in different areas as well (I'm not sure about Cinci).... I think it was about 3 weeks before I got an email invite to the Meet and Greet. At your Meet and Greet you'll learn all about your specific RO's process! That should help!

What exactly is the new hiring process. My application says Meet & Greet - is the PFT before this now? I'm earnestly waiting on hearing from my local office (Cinci).

Thanks. I'm hoping Cinci is part of the new pilot program - I'd like to do my PFT sooner rather than later, also I feel like they are more accepting of passing people through the interview who have already passed. I know DC and Detroit are on the pilot - and if you are AZ (Phoenix?).

Yes, I agree, I liked having the PFT done earlier! I believe (from what I gathered) the interview is a blind interview, so they know nothing about you prior and they have a system in which they rate/grade you during the interview in regards to how you answer the questions (SAR format)....so I wouldn't think passing the PFT prior would have any impact on the passing of PII, I think each part stands independently....but, it's certainly nice knowing that part (the PFT) is done and you can focus on preparing for the Phase II process! You'll do great!

Of course Phase II is still technically a separate and unbiased phase. But they're also very desperate for recruits and the PFT has been the bottleneck for them. So I think it's safe to say that they're probably much happier with you during PII knowing that you already passed the PFT. You won't get an automatic pass, but I'm sure as long as you aren't giving them a reason to fail you, you're probably good to go...

Yes it is technically a blind interview. I'm a Phase 2 redo, so I've experience this before. Definitely unique compared to the other federal agency interviews, since those usually include the person who is your applicant coordinator and they have reviewed your resume and background prior to the interview. The structure for all the interviews is the same though - 1 hour, 12-13 questions, and you had better use the STAR/SAR method. That is key to providing intelligent answers to their behavioral questions. The interviewers rank you and send your information up to HQ for a review - that is where I think having already completed the PFT will be handy. If the interviewers gave a relatively good review and scores you just on the fence - a passing PFT score could push them over to the Conditional Offer. From what I have seen, 2017 was a terrible year for people passing the Phase 2 interview and directly led to the overhaul of their hiring practices.

For those of you have done the new process - how many interviews are they conducting when you attended? When I did the Phase 2 in 2017 they conducted roughly 200 interviews in a single day. Are they still doing mass interview days like this?

They definitely did nothing like that at my (large) FO. I estimate that there were about 15 people there.

Ratigan - you did your interview at your local field office? Back in 2017 you had to wait for a regional - all Midwest went to Chicago - I processed out of Cincinnati.
6/27/19: Reapplied
7/11/19: Add. Info Submitted
Meet & Greet scheduled 7/26
Meet & Greet 8/7
Ratigan  
#1043 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2019 6:39:22 AM(UTC)
Ratigan

Originally Posted by: Ratigan Go to Quoted Post

Ratigan - you did your interview at your local field office? Back in 2017 you had to wait for a regional - all Midwest went to Chicago - I processed out of Cincinnati.

Yes, I did both the M&G and Phase II at my local FO. I have no idea what happens with people processing out of smaller FOs, though.
butterfly5  
#1044 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2019 7:08:21 AM(UTC)
butterfly5

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Ashock Go to Quoted Post
Hey everyone. I’m new to the process. I submitted my application at the beginning of the months and am scheduled for Phase 1. I wanted to take a moment to say hi and thank you all for the wealth of information I read through on this thread.

Welcome!
Toastie  
#1045 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2019 9:00:09 AM(UTC)
Toastie

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Well you have to admit it would be very cool to go the January 2020 class. You'd be the first newly minted agents of the Roaring 20s Sequel Decade!
SA '19
Applied: 3/23/19
P1 4/2/19
M&G 4/30/19
Competitive 6/17/19
P2 written 6/23/19
P2 interview: August (mid August)

Tiny_Fed_69  
#1046 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2019 11:24:50 AM(UTC)
Tiny_Fed_69

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Somehow hurt my leg doing during a pretty low intensity run (was doing 90 second jogs as part of a circuit with pushups and situps - pretty much the slowest runs I do lmao). It's been a couple of days and it's slightly better, but I'm thinking I won't be running for another week or two if I'm lucky.

Guess I'll go back to messing around with barbells + stationary bike until it heals.

I'd suggest doing your best to not get hurt because this is the worst.
thanks 1 user thanked Tiny_Fed_69 for this useful post.
BeardBreadman on 7/16/2019(UTC)
ncd3333  
#1047 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2019 12:00:17 PM(UTC)
ncd3333

United States

Hey all. Was wondering what the timeframe was from when you took the P2 Written to when you were contacted to schedule your Interview? Been patiently waiting and wondering what the typical waiting period is. Thanks.
MissChanandler  
#1048 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2019 3:21:53 PM(UTC)
MissChanandler

United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ncd3333 Go to Quoted Post
Hey all. Was wondering what the timeframe was from when you took the P2 Written to when you were contacted to schedule your Interview? Been patiently waiting and wondering what the typical waiting period is. Thanks.

There's no "typical" waiting period. I think it depends on when the next P2 interviews are in your area (or if you are processing out of a smaller FO, when there are spots available in one of the regional sites). If you've been waiting for a while you could always reach out to your AC and ask when the next P2 interview dates are.
App: 11/18
P1: 1/19
M&G: 3/19
P2 Written: 4/19
P2 Interview: 6/19 (pass)
PFT 1: 6/19 (fail)
PFT 2: 11/19 (pass)
thanks 1 user thanked MissChanandler for this useful post.
BeardBreadman on 7/17/2019(UTC)
CLARK5  
#1049 Posted : Wednesday, July 17, 2019 7:58:48 AM(UTC)
CLARK5

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Toastie Go to Quoted Post
Well you have to admit it would be very cool to go the January 2020 class. You'd be the first newly minted agents of the Roaring 20s Sequel Decade!

Agreed!
APP 5/3/19
PI 5/11/19
MG 6/19/19
PFT 6/26/19
PII(W) 6/28/19
PII (I)8/27/19
COA 9/6/19
PSI 10/2/19
POLY 10/23/19
K897  
#1050 Posted : Wednesday, July 17, 2019 12:07:42 PM(UTC)
K897

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
New to the forum, here.

I've went through all of the topics but I don't recall seeing this discussed but, how long is "too long" before I submit my SA-PFT? I passed my Phase-1 test on 7/11/19 and rec'd the invite to submit addt'l info the next day. It didn't give me a deadline for when that info needed to be submitted but I don't want to take too long and be surpassed in the process I guess. Right now my SA-PFT is under 12 pts and I don't want to submit until I'm passing (even though they say it's okay to submit non-passing scores). I'm "in shape" but I've never been into running so I'm going to the track every night and working on my times.
Ashock  
#1051 Posted : Wednesday, July 17, 2019 9:22:38 PM(UTC)
Ashock

United States

Has the process been moving pretty quickly this year? I have somewhat of a unique situation. My husband has a child from a prior marriage and that will make it difficult for us to move. I was told by a friend familiar with the bureau to apply and bring up my situation and see what they say. His child is a teenager and as soon as she turns 18, we’re down to move anywhere. I just need to stay local until then. I am not near the age limit and I’ll still have plenty of time once she turns 18 to start the process and (hopefully) get hired. I’m ready to take the leap to Federal LE now instead of waiting a few more years. Does anyone on here have experience with or know someone who has experience with how the bureau treats custody agreements when determining first field office? Also, if I were to stop the process after phase 1, does that look bad when I start again in a few years?
Dzt  
#1052 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2019 9:26:01 AM(UTC)
Dzt

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Ashock Go to Quoted Post
Has the process been moving pretty quickly this year? I have somewhat of a unique situation. My husband has a child from a prior marriage and that will make it difficult for us to move. I was told by a friend familiar with the bureau to apply and bring up my situation and see what they say. His child is a teenager and as soon as she turns 18, we’re down to move anywhere. I just need to stay local until then. I am not near the age limit and I’ll still have plenty of time once she turns 18 to start the process and (hopefully) get hired. I’m ready to take the leap to Federal LE now instead of waiting a few more years. Does anyone on here have experience with or know someone who has experience with how the bureau treats custody agreements when determining first field office? Also, if I were to stop the process after phase 1, does that look bad when I start again in a few years?

Waiting until you have the opportunity to move seems like the logical reasoning here. Especially since you're not near the age limit. The FBI only accepts those that have free rein to relocate and the ability not to would surely affect your candidacy.

You can always pick up the process again down the the line. Phase I is good for life.

Edited by user Thursday, July 18, 2019 9:28:15 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

hopefulguy  
#1053 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2019 5:12:48 AM(UTC)
hopefulguy

Man
United States

I'm going to start following this thread. My wife applied for the Special Agent position and got invited to start Phase 1 and take the written test.

What should she expect? This could be HUGE for us. Very happy for her, I know its just the beginning and the road ahead is going to tough and long but none the less very excited.

BeardBreadman  
#1054 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2019 6:12:25 AM(UTC)
BeardBreadman

United States

Originally Posted by: hopefulguy Go to Quoted Post
I'm going to start following this thread. My wife applied for the Special Agent position and got invited to start Phase 1 and take the written test.

What should she expect? This could be HUGE for us. Very happy for her, I know its just the beginning and the road ahead is going to tough and long but none the less very excited.

I just passed phase 1 and I just used the study material on the FBI website. It was very helpful. Good luck to her!

Application: 6/23
Pass Ph 1: 7/10
Additional Info: 7/21
M&G: 08/07

Run for your bread, run for your beard.
tamvid11  
#1055 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2019 7:56:09 AM(UTC)
tamvid11

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
How long does an invite to a Meet & Greet usually take? I submitted my additional information a little over a week ago. When I processed in 2017, I got an invite to the next meet & greet nearly immediately, so this wait is making me very anxious. I no longer have any contacts at my local office, as the entire recruiting staff has changed. Do I need to call to verify they have everything, or is a couple weeks a normal wait time now?
6/27/19: Reapplied
7/11/19: Add. Info Submitted
Meet & Greet scheduled 7/26
Meet & Greet 8/7
Ratigan  
#1056 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2019 9:30:46 AM(UTC)
Ratigan

How long does an invite to a Meet & Greet usually take? I submitted my additional information a little over a week ago. When I processed in 2017, I got an invite to the next meet & greet nearly immediately, so this wait is making me very anxious. I no longer have any contacts at my local office, as the entire recruiting staff has changed. Do I need to call to verify they have everything, or is a couple weeks a normal wait time now?

2+ weeks is a typical wait time these days. I waited about that long.
1995JeepCherokee  
#1057 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2019 9:30:59 AM(UTC)
1995JeepCherokee

United States

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 16 post(s)

It took me like 3+ weeks for an invite after doing my additional info then over another month to actually go to my M&G.

Edited by user Friday, July 19, 2019 9:31:30 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

App: 12/11
P1: 12/22
Add. Info: 1/2
M&G: 2/8
Writing: 4/9
Panel: 6/4
Pass P2: 6/10
PFT (Fail): 6/19
PFT (2nd): TBD
Tpr6701  
#1058 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2019 9:54:00 AM(UTC)
Tpr6701

United States

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I would like to give a quick tip to everyone who is awaiting the Meet & Greet session. Do not let the name "meet & greet" fool you. Treat this like you are showing up to the interview of your lifetime.

I don't care what anyone says, you dress in a neutral color suit, shirt and tie combo. For girls, the same rule applies, a nice neutral color two-piece suit. You can never go wrong with being in a suit (unless you show up to PFT in a suit, then that's on you). Have all the required items with you, don't double-check it, triple check everything to make sure everything is there, exactly how they want it. Lastly, when you meet those agents, carry yourself very well. Don't be shy and timid, but don't be "that guy/gal" either. If you are asked any questions, and I mean ANY, you answer them like you are on your panel interview, so take it very seriously. If you have any questions, make sure to ask them and don't shy away. If you do not have any questions to ask, just come up with a question or two, show them you are interested because you are interested. This is your dream job!

These tips, in my opinion, will mean the difference between getting ranked competitive or least competitive, considering your resume looks good.

Good luck.

Edited by user Friday, July 19, 2019 9:55:29 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked Tpr6701 for this useful post.
Ezhikus on 7/19/2019(UTC), BeardBreadman on 7/19/2019(UTC), 1995JeepCherokee on 7/19/2019(UTC)
BeardBreadman  
#1059 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2019 11:04:54 AM(UTC)
BeardBreadman

United States

Originally Posted by: Tpr6701 Go to Quoted Post
I would like to give a quick tip to everyone who is awaiting the Meet & Greet session. Do not let the name "meet & greet" fool you. Treat this like you are showing up to the interview of your lifetime.

I don't care what anyone says, you dress in a neutral color suit, shirt and tie combo. For girls, the same rule applies, a nice neutral color two-piece suit. You can never go wrong with being in a suit (unless you show up to PFT in a suit, then that's on you). Have all the required items with you, don't double-check it, triple check everything to make sure everything is there, exactly how they want it. Lastly, when you meet those agents, carry yourself very well. Don't be shy and timid, but don't be "that guy/gal" either. If you are asked any questions, and I mean ANY, you answer them like you are on your panel interview, so take it very seriously. If you have any questions, make sure to ask them and don't shy away. If you do not have any questions to ask, just come up with a question or two, show them you are interested because you are interested. This is your dream job!

These tips, in my opinion, will mean the difference between getting ranked competitive or least competitive, considering your resume looks good.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the tips, when does competitive vs least competitive come into play? Is that for Phase 2 interview or?

Edited by user Friday, July 19, 2019 11:05:50 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Application: 6/23
Pass Ph 1: 7/10
Additional Info: 7/21
M&G: 08/07

Run for your bread, run for your beard.
hopefulguy  
#1060 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2019 11:29:17 AM(UTC)
hopefulguy

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: BeardBreadman Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: hopefulguy Go to Quoted Post

I just passed phase 1 and I just used the study material on the FBI website. It was very helpful. Good luck to her!

Im praying! She ordered a study guide from Amazon will be getting it today and Ill tell her to use the guide from their web site also since you said that helped you.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed