Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
marshmellodot  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2019 4:29:19 PM(UTC)
marshmellodot

Groups: Registered
United States

I was just wondering if the OPM is still conducting background checks even with the government being shutdown. I have submitted a SF-85 for an administrative assistant position on 12/13 and submitted my fingerprints on 12/19. Does anyone know if the process is still ongoing or still delayed due to the government furlough. ALso, how long do the background investigations usually take for a very low clearance. I am unable to contact HR due to the department being in Furlough so I am unsure of the timeline at this point.

Edited by user Thursday, January 10, 2019 4:31:07 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

rathoro  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2019 4:57:12 PM(UTC)
rathoro

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Someone may correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the FBI handles atleast portion of this. I’m not sure if it’s the entire process. They are affected by the shutdown, but many are working with pay. I’m not sure if essential duties includes security clearance checks, but I assume it would. My credit check was done on December 15th, and I received word yesterday that I am clear to start in 1/22. I’m not sure if they ran my fingerprints before or after the shutdown. I was told the full investigation could take 3-12 months if it’s a secret clearance. Longer for top secret. Public trust should not take long at all.
thanks 1 user thanked rathoro for this useful post.
marshmellodot on 1/10/2019(UTC)
marshmellodot  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2019 5:38:58 PM(UTC)
marshmellodot

United States

Just out of curiosity which department are you working for? My job is under the Department of Interior, so I wasn't sure if you were as well or for a different department.
rathoro  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2019 6:35:02 PM(UTC)
rathoro

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Department of the Navy, NAVSUP. DOD isn’t affected this time, but might be in September if they don’t get a continuing resolution past Oct 1. As far as the clearance, you need the FBI to do their checks before you can start your job. My fingerprints we submitted on 12/15. You shouldn’t be far behind me. It doesn’t take long to run those. You can get a free credit report to see who has done a soft pull of your credit. It won’t show up under hard inquires. I forget what company it shows up as, but it says employment check or something like that under the description. You can’t miss it. If your credit has been pulled, you’ll at least know that was done before the shutdown. That’s the only step I could verify on my own.
TheRealOrange  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 3:32:28 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 115 time(s) in 98 post(s)
Originally Posted by: rathoro Go to Quoted Post
Someone may correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the FBI handles atleast portion of this. I’m not sure if it’s the entire process. They are affected by the shutdown, but many are working with pay. I’m not sure if essential duties includes security clearance checks, but I assume it would. My credit check was done on December 15th, and I received word yesterday that I am clear to start in 1/22. I’m not sure if they ran my fingerprints before or after the shutdown. I was told the full investigation could take 3-12 months if it’s a secret clearance. Longer for top secret. Public trust should not take long at all.

I'm curious which FBI employees are "working with pay." My wife was furloughed but was just recalled and excepted from the furlough as she was deemed "mission critical." So, she will start working on Monday without pay. Everyone she works with is either furloughed or working without pay, and the artciles I've read seem to indicate that is the norm at the FBI right now. Again, I'm just curious. Thanks.

"O’Connor said FBI investigations already are being affected. No one at the FBI is getting paid, but investigators are still working while much of their support staffs, including some surveillance experts, are not, O’Connor said. The FBI lab in Quantico, Va., has faced significant staff reductions, and the money available for investigative expenses such as undercover drug buys is dwindling, he said."

https://www.washingtonpo...l?utm_term=.49c24376f3b1
BackGdInvestigator  
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2019 10:04:46 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 70 post(s)
NBIB investigators (fed/contract) and NBIB support staff are still working - other agencies are not which impacts the final completion of cases.

*DISCLAIMER*Correctly filling out your security forms will not guarantee you a clearance in 3 months BUT be sloppy and your case will be in the field a heck of a lot longer, guaranteed.
DeeRock  
#7 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 9:57:13 PM(UTC)
DeeRock

United States

I've been wondering the same. So far my application process has been streamlined. Within a 3 week period I had gone through testing, hands on demonstration, interview, drug testing, credit check, background check, driving record etc... After getting called in for fingerprinting and I-9 form weeks ago I haven't heard a thing. They went as far as to say they wanted me starting 1/07/19 and to keep an eye on my email.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed