Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Disability Retirement

The federal government allows employees who are unable to work to retire under a disability retirement. It is in the best interest of both employees and the federal government for employees to remain gainfully employed in their current grade or pay level, as long as they can provide useful and efficient service without endangering themselves, others or government property.
Disability retirement should be the very last option and should be used only when attempts have been made to preserve an individual's employment, and those attempts have failed.

Order our Disability Retirement guide to educate yourself on the rules and regulations concerning disability retirement for federal employees.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
vladtepes  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2019 1:29:26 PM(UTC)
vladtepes

Groups: Registered
United States

I am a LEO on disability annuity for ten years and turned 62 years old in September. In phone calls to OPM prior to my birthday I was assured that the recalculation of my annuity at age 62 as required by law and regulation would occur automatically with no further action required by me. October 1 arrived with no change in status and my annuity annual statement issued for 2019 shows only the 2% increase for COLA. Multiple contacts via phone and email have produced the snails pace movement towards someones desk that will look into why the recalculation has not been done.

Does anyone know what is the standard procedure for these recalculations or why OPM thinks it is fine to withhold annuitants money? Also any lawyer recommendations for Washington d.c. area.
GSBS  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2019 2:01:15 PM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 268 time(s) in 231 post(s)
Originally Posted by: vladtepes Go to Quoted Post
I am a LEO on disability annuity for ten years and turned 62 years old in September. In phone calls to OPM prior to my birthday I was assured that the recalculation of my annuity at age 62 as required by law and regulation would occur automatically with no further action required by me. October 1 arrived with no change in status and my annuity annual statement issued for 2019 shows only the 2% increase for COLA. Multiple contacts via phone and email have produced the snails pace movement towards someones desk that will look into why the recalculation has not been done.

Does anyone know what is the standard procedure for these recalculations or why OPM thinks it is fine to withhold annuitants money? Also any lawyer recommendations for Washington d.c. area.
Hey Attorney McGill is in the Maryland area, this wouldn't be in his scope of practice. Did you file for SS as required by law, actually I don't think it is. I could only hope at age 62 OPM would forget about me too and continue my 40% annuity and FEHB as my annuity will be going down to 20% plus Social Security.
Dr. Rob  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2019 10:13:37 AM(UTC)
Dr. Rob

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I don't know if this is what you meant by standard procedure, but here is the link to the FERS "types of retirement":
https://www.opm.gov/reti...tirement/#url=Disability

Look for "Disability Retirement Computation". then check out the column that says:
"When you reach age 62 your annuity will be recomputed using an amount that essentially represents the annuity you would have received if you had continued working until the day before your 62nd birthday and then retired under FERS."

The formula they provide is as follow:
"If your actual service, plus the credit for time as a disability annuitant equals less than 20 years::
1 percent of your high-3 average salary for each year of service

If your actual service, plus the credit for time as a disability annuitant equals 20 or more years:
1.1 percent of your high-3 average salary for each year of service

Total Service used in the computation:

will be increased by the amount of time you have received a disability annuity
Average Salary used in the computation:

will be increased by all FERS cost-of-living increases paid during the time you received a disability annuity."

-->NOTE<-- This is for FERS, I'm not 100% sure, but I think CSRS is different.

Hope this helps.

Take care,

Rob
GSBS  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2019 11:08:05 AM(UTC)
GSBS

Originally Posted by: Dr. Rob Go to Quoted Post
I don't know if this is what you meant by standard procedure, but here is the link to the FERS "types of retirement":
I know that link well, it was you, not me who wrote about "Standard Procedure"

Many of us get the default 40% of a payment for an annuity. LEO personnel get a slightly different computation. When we turn 62 the annuity is based on actual time worked adding the time on disability. In my case it will add up to about 22 years. Since I'm essentially getting 40% now it will be 'adjusted' down to about 22% in a couple years. That's where the other component of your retirement will come in, the Social Security payment. It will suck even more than now if you can believe it?

Dr. Rob  
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2019 1:11:09 PM(UTC)
Dr. Rob

United States

My bad, I was replying to the OP's post: "Does anyone know what is the standard procedure for these recalculations..."

Again, my apologies for the confusion.

Take care,

Rob
Dr. Rob  
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2019 1:17:36 PM(UTC)
Dr. Rob

United States

GSBS, yes I'd be pretty unhappy if my pay had to go down when I was 62. I can see how many people would be too elderly or further disabled to take on any additional work to aid in compensation. I do agree it is kinda crazy and sucks !
thanks 1 user thanked Dr. Rob for this useful post.
GSBS on 1/13/2019(UTC)
GSBS  
#7 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2019 3:36:42 PM(UTC)
GSBS

Originally Posted by: Dr. Rob Go to Quoted Post
My bad, I was replying to the OP's post: "Does anyone know what is the standard procedure for these recalculations..."

Again, my apologies for the confusion.

Take care,

Rob
It's all good Rob as your info was spot on! With the help of Kevin here and an actual sole at Social Security who took the time to help me and was also very interested in how OPM D. R. works figured out I will be getting $1000 to add to that measly 22% annuity and no offsets will apply so I should be ok.

gembarok  
#8 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 5:31:57 AM(UTC)
gembarok

Man
United States

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 113 post(s)
Greetings,

I am very interested in how this pans out for the OP. If his birthday was in October and they still haven't done the 62 y/o conversion, that is BS. I'll have to look and see if the LEO rate is a factor. From other posts in this forum, I am reading that it did happen during their birth month or the next month. This is four months later.

S/
K
vladtepes  
#9 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 3:34:46 PM(UTC)
vladtepes

United States

The birthday was in September and nothing has been done and no communication back to me either. I have called multiple times and sent messages to retire@opm.gov. The only response that brought is that each time I call they check on my CSA number and tell me its in various stages of movement towards being assigned. Other times they said it would kick in October 1 then November, then December now they have abandoned that excuse.
wtx carrier  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2019 8:08:41 PM(UTC)
wtx carrier

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
If i understand how it works
if i get approved this year for opm DR i will draw it for 14yrs until 62 and then they add it to my 28yrs of working service which would be recalculated at 42yrs total thats if i understand the way they do it. so my retirement shouldn't be reduced at 62
gembarok  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2019 2:16:11 PM(UTC)
gembarok

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: wtx carrier Go to Quoted Post
If i understand how it works
if i get approved this year for opm DR i will draw it for 14yrs until 62 and then they add it to my 28yrs of working service which would be recalculated at 42yrs total thats if i understand the way they do it. so my retirement shouldn't be reduced at 62

Greetings,

Not likely reduced but that depends. Are you receiving the "Earned Annuity" or the 40% reduced by SSDI? With 28 years of service it would seem you are getting your earned annuity. So you only go up from there. ANd don't forget about all the COLA increases as well.

S/
K
gembarok  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2019 2:19:09 PM(UTC)
gembarok

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: vladtepes Go to Quoted Post
The birthday was in September and nothing has been done and no communication back to me either. I have called multiple times and sent messages to retire@opm.gov. The only response that brought is that each time I call they check on my CSA number and tell me its in various stages of movement towards being assigned. Other times they said it would kick in October 1 then November, then December now they have abandoned that excuse.

Greetings,

That's very disappointing to hear. When my SSDI kicked in, my adjustment was flawless and known to me before the next paycheck was cut. Same with the COLA increase this year. Seamless. Something seems very wrong if an event they know would occur like turning 62 would have been already completed. Sigh...

S/
K

Edited by user Wednesday, January 30, 2019 2:19:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

vladtepes  
#13 Posted : Friday, February 01, 2019 8:44:11 PM(UTC)
vladtepes

United States

January payment with no recalculation. Opm retire phone folks tell me one week ago that it has been recalculated but waits for supervisor review and sign off.

No one that worked for me would have ever been this incompetent, no one.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed