Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Aworld  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2019 10:37:55 AM(UTC)
Aworld

Groups: Registered
United States

I went for Data Engineer interview and after one week of interview i got rejection, by email I was informed sorry to let you know we will not offering......bla bla bla. Most probably rejection cause was asking approximately 150K per annum salary during interview which most probably surprised them. Why not to ask 150K salary since I know 4 foreign languages and over 10 years experience in Data Management and SME and working for federal government.
someoldguy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2019 10:54:28 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 900 time(s) in 753 post(s)
If you are that certain that was the reason you were rejected, then you must have expected such a response. If you have 10 years of data management experience, $150K is not completely out of line for private industry; but if you worked in government before, you should have realized that you'd never get that as a new hire at any government agency.
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
Muhdoerves  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2019 11:58:45 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Aworld Go to Quoted Post
I went for Data Engineer interview and after one week of interview i got rejection, by email I was informed sorry to let you know we will not offering......bla bla bla. Most probably rejection cause was asking approximately 150K per annum salary during interview which most probably surprised them. Why not to ask 150K salary since I know 4 foreign languages and over 10 years experience in Data Management and SME and working for federal government.

I take it you applied for the “Data Engineer” position? CIA uses the GS scale as well, so they can’t pay you as arbitrarily as the private sector does even if they list that huge salary range.
someoldguy  
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2019 2:17:16 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 900 time(s) in 753 post(s)
I looked at the job posting for data engineer, the max pay cited, and the OPM pay scale. Looks like it goes up to the top of the GS-14 pay scale.

I doubt they would have rejected you so quickly for salary demands, as I have heard of many cases where people got unrealistically low offers. They probably were not impressed with your qualifications and chose not to pursue even a lowball offer.
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
en123  
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 20, 2019 3:37:58 PM(UTC)
en123

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I don't think that the rejection is due to the $150k. I asked for $120k and I got a conditional offer a bit less than what I asked for. There isn't much room of negotiation when it comes to GS. You will be get paid based on a scale.

Edited by user Sunday, January 20, 2019 4:02:04 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

velcroTech  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2019 6:07:23 AM(UTC)
velcroTech

Cayman Islands

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Originally Posted by: en123 Go to Quoted Post
I don't think that the rejection is due to the $150k. I asked for $120k and I got a conditional offer a bit less than what I asked for. There isn't much room of negotiation when it comes to GS. You will be get paid based on a scale.

Maybe you are not a good fit for the organization. Why dont you apply to other positions and try again?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed