Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Disability Retirement

The federal government allows employees who are unable to work to retire under a disability retirement. It is in the best interest of both employees and the federal government for employees to remain gainfully employed in their current grade or pay level, as long as they can provide useful and efficient service without endangering themselves, others or government property.
Disability retirement should be the very last option and should be used only when attempts have been made to preserve an individual's employment, and those attempts have failed.

Order our Disability Retirement guide to educate yourself on the rules and regulations concerning disability retirement for federal employees.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
icanzz  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2019 10:46:19 AM(UTC)
icanzz

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I just received notice I was approved for SSDI. I have about 8 years fed service under FERS. I resigned from Fed service about 10 1/2 months ago...i just found out I could apply for FERS disability retirement...but I must apply within 1 year of separation. This gives about me about 4 weeks to get paperwork done....any advise?
GSBS  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2019 1:29:56 PM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 301 time(s) in 262 post(s)
You have 6 weeks left and I would make my preliminary moves today. You need to have your medical providers behind you and I would SERIOUSLY look into an OPM attorney. By the way the forms are online here and you could file your initial paperwork by the end of the week!
https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/sf3107.pdf
gembarok  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2019 1:49:39 PM(UTC)
gembarok

Man
United States

Was thanked: 160 time(s) in 140 post(s)
Originally Posted by: icanzz Go to Quoted Post
I just received notice I was approved for SSDI. I have about 8 years fed service under FERS. I resigned from Fed service about 10 1/2 months ago...i just found out I could apply for FERS disability retirement...but I must apply within 1 year of separation. This gives about me about 4 weeks to get paperwork done....any advise?

Greetings,

Fax your 3107 and at least the 3112A straight to OPM to at least stop the clock and show your intent. That way you have a date stamp that you submitted something. At least that is what I would do.

S/
K
GSBS  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2019 2:18:35 PM(UTC)
GSBS

Originally Posted by: gembarok Go to Quoted Post

Greetings,

Fax your 3107 and at least the 3112A straight to OPM to at least stop the clock and show your intent. That way you have a date stamp that you submitted something. At least that is what I would do.

S/
K
At Least!

gembarok  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2019 2:23:58 PM(UTC)
gembarok

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: GSBS Go to Quoted Post
At Least!

Don't be hating on the voracity of my verbosity... I see what you did there... I couldn't find my book of synonyms... LOL

S/
K
icanzz  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2019 7:09:48 PM(UTC)
icanzz

Aye...found this when looking for forms.

• If you think you will not have the completed package in time to meet the one-year time limit, send OPM the completed SF 3107 and SF 3112A, along with the name, address and telephone number of the person(s) you have asked to complete the remaining forms.
gembarok  
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 4:18:36 AM(UTC)
gembarok

Man
United States

Aye...found this when looking for forms.

• If you think you will not have the completed package in time to meet the one-year time limit, send OPM the completed SF 3107 and SF 3112A, along with the name, address and telephone number of the person(s) you have asked to complete the remaining forms.

At least!!
thanks 1 user thanked gembarok for this useful post.
GSBS on 1/31/2019(UTC)
icanzz  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 6, 2019 7:04:15 AM(UTC)
icanzz

Called OPM retirement services...first thing guy said was "we don't answer retirement questions" Anyway, After talking he said no they don't have a FAX number, then he said well since you are on short timeline he gave me 2 FAX numbers (in case one was down), but also said he can't guarantee anyone "down there will do anything with the forms" . He said to mail forms "signature required" to make sure they did not delivery to one of the industries along the road. I was trying to ask about forms because much of the info on them I don't have and much of the forms are to be filled out by HR...but I don't have an HR, He said not to worry just get Name and SSN on forms and send...they will figure out the rest later. Forms are scheduled for delivery this Friday 8 Feb 2019. About 3 weeks before deadline. Fingers crossed someone opens envelope.
GSBS  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 6, 2019 10:06:48 AM(UTC)
GSBS

Called OPM retirement services...first thing guy said was "we don't answer retirement questions" Anyway, After talking he said no they don't have a FAX number, then he said well since you are on short timeline he gave me 2 FAX numbers (in case one was down), but also said he can't guarantee anyone "down there will do anything with the forms" . He said to mail forms "signature required" to make sure they did not delivery to one of the industries along the road. I was trying to ask about forms because much of the info on them I don't have and much of the forms are to be filled out by HR...but I don't have an HR, He said not to worry just get Name and SSN on forms and send...they will figure out the rest later. Forms are scheduled for delivery this Friday 8 Feb 2019. About 3 weeks before deadline. Fingers crossed someone opens envelope.
The Call Center is set up for Retired Annuitants and they don't give out accurate advice to prospective applicants. Of course they have a Fax # but all the Fax's I sent never seemed to arrive. Perhaps you need some professional help with your application, its much more than filling out a couple of forms~

Navygirlgonepostal1  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 6, 2019 10:31:27 AM(UTC)
Navygirlgonepostal1

United States

Was thanked: 144 time(s) in 108 post(s)
Sounds like you got the guy I had yesterday.
My autobiography.....it’s finally over
icanzz  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 6, 2019 1:52:14 PM(UTC)
icanzz

Originally Posted by: GSBS Go to Quoted Post
The Call Center is set up for Retired Annuitants and they don't give out accurate advice to prospective applicants. Of course they have a Fax # but all the Fax's I sent never seemed to arrive. Perhaps you need some professional help with your application, its much more than filling out a couple of forms~

Don't even know where to start looking for professional help in small town USA...but will start looking. I am told forms I sent will stop the clock on the 1 year from separation deadline to apply.
Frogger  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, February 6, 2019 3:37:50 PM(UTC)
Frogger

United States

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 114 post(s)
Call Robert R McGill asap
icanzz  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, February 6, 2019 4:29:23 PM(UTC)
icanzz

Originally Posted by: Frogger Go to Quoted Post

Really? I was thinking I better Call Saul... :O
icanzz  
#14 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2019 8:49:25 AM(UTC)
icanzz

Is this guy for real?
Frogger  
#15 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2019 9:57:24 AM(UTC)
Frogger

United States

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 114 post(s)
Yes, he won my case when all seemed hopeless. You don’t have a lot of time.
icanzz  
#16 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2019 11:01:44 AM(UTC)
icanzz

Yes, he won my case when all seemed hopeless. You don’t have a lot of time.

http://federaldisabilitylawyer.com/

Is link him? sorry I am a little paranoid of scams and stuff.
Calicocat  
#17 Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2019 5:02:45 PM(UTC)
Calicocat

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
You still have access to your HR department. I filed within 4 weeks of the 12 month period. Your HR can give you a packet and they will fill out their portion of it and your previous supervisor will have to as well. Get the initial forms in, the address is in your paperwork. Overnight it and request a signature.

I was approved for DR last month, no lawyer was needed.

Be sure you get all your documentation in and you probably have quite a bit having already being approved for SSDI. Social Security can return your original documentation to them if you request it.

Good luck mate.
icanzz  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2019 6:36:57 PM(UTC)
icanzz

Originally Posted by: Calicocat Go to Quoted Post
You still have access to your HR department. I filed within 4 weeks of the 12 month period. Your HR can give you a packet and they will fill out their portion of it and your previous supervisor will have to as well. Get the initial forms in, the address is in your paperwork. Overnight it and request a signature.

I was approved for DR last month, no lawyer was needed.

Be sure you get all your documentation in and you probably have quite a bit having already being approved for SSDI. Social Security can return your original documentation to them if you request it.

Good luck mate.

I have no HR. I resigned. My last HR was in Italy. I sent just the 2 forms recommend to get clock stopped. I sent only the basic request for retirement and disability retirement form. Very little filled out...just basics of my medical issues and bunch of addresses to Military Treatment facilities around the world I used while on active duty and as civilian (Tricare). I sent forms in snail mail on 8 Feb 2019. Today I received letter saying they received my application for DR and Disability section will contact me if any further information is needed. Also shows my CSA #.

Today
dantheman77  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2019 6:54:46 PM(UTC)
dantheman77

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
If you were approved for SSDI, u should be able to do these forms yourself with no lawer. Get a notepad, and take notes, your already disabled. That's key #1. Now it's just filling out the paperwork. Do about 25 hours of reading this forum and other websites. Ten hours of filling forms out. Bingo. I got both disabilities. Only reason I got the SSDI lawers was because I didn't know fers would go through. So I wasted 7 grand on the SSDI lawers. Probably wouldn't of gotten approved for SSDI but i don't like the stigma of it, having to keep it secret...and I hope to work again someday anyway.

Edited by user Wednesday, February 20, 2019 6:55:24 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Calicocat  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2019 7:26:37 PM(UTC)
Calicocat

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
@icanzz that was what I was talking about. I was removed from service, but almost a year after being separated from service, I still had access to my last HR. In fact, after I received the same letter as you with my CSA#, I received another letter saying my supervisor didn’t fill out his report correctly AND I had to go back to my old HR and they got my supervisor to correct it and gave it to me, and I sent it by priority mail, along with all the medical information I had previously sent to Social Security.

Even though I had been separated almost a YEAR, HR still had to assist me with OPM’s further requests. I was just letting you know that they are still a resource for this process, even though in my case where I was fired because of my health issues.

I was approved for SSDI and approved 1/04/2019 for FERS DR. I didn’t need a lawyer either.

Just trying to be helpful. You may be able to use a local Federal HR, since your HR was out of the country. But hopefully you won’t have to deal with HR like I did.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed