Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Relocating

Are you considering relocating your federal career - either by your choice or by Uncle Sam? There are practical issues and concerns to think about when deciding whether or not to relocate. Others have done it while still others have not. This forum will allow for all to offer their insight, post their questions, and help each other out.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
loggy54  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2019 10:46:47 AM(UTC)
loggy54

Groups: Registered
United States

I am a GS-12/step 9 with a salary $103K and was offered a NH-3 job at Khamis Mushayt, Saudi Arabia for 2 yrs with a start pay $83K with no COLA but with Allowances such as (Post, LQA, etc) Will I lose money or will be even? Is it worth taking the job offer? I am going there for a leadership experience so I could apply for a GS-13. Any info/recommendation is appreciated. Thank You.

FS0201  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2019 11:36:49 AM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 277 time(s) in 241 post(s)
Originally Posted by: loggy54 Go to Quoted Post
I am a GS-12/step 9 with a salary $103K and was offered a NH-3 job at Khamis Mushayt, Saudi Arabia for 2 yrs with a start pay $83K with no COLA but with Allowances such as (Post, LQA, etc) Will I lose money or will be even? Is it worth taking the job offer? I am going there for a leadership experience so I could apply for a GS-13. Any info/recommendation is appreciated. Thank You.

You don't pocket LQA, so shouldn't consider that as part of income. Makes more sense to figure what you are not paying for rent/utilities. It is common to make less when going overseas, but your disposable income increases. I wouldn't go to SA, but was glad for the time I spent overseas.
The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
Exit7A  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 2:27:50 PM(UTC)
Exit7A

United States

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 133 post(s)
Is that area considered "tax-exempt"?
That's all I got to say about that.
DaVinci95  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 1, 2019 6:20:51 AM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 68 time(s) in 65 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Exit7A Go to Quoted Post
Is that area considered "tax-exempt"?

Probably not for Fed civilians. When I was in Afghanistan, the contractors got tax exemptions, but we still had to pay Federal and state income taxes.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed