Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Inside the News

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current federal employee related news topics. This forum is for U.S. federal government news topics only -- specifically, news that directly affects federal employees, their jobs, pay, benefits or other workplace issues.

Please refrain from posting topics on general current events, U.S. or world politics, etc. FederalSoup is a FREE forum site dedicated to serving the needs of federal employees, so keeping forum topics focused to those readers and members here is what makes this community valuable. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
someoldguy  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 03, 2019 6:15:48 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 843 time(s) in 701 post(s)
Senate bill S.262 is the companion legislation to the House bill that would authorize a 2.6% pay raise for federal employees. It has been introduced and referred to a committee. That's as far as it has gotten, so far.

It has 12 sponsors, all Democrats, mostly from the more liberal side (Warren, Sanders, Gillibrand, Harris, Hirono, et al).

I am pretty sure that the pay raise bill passed in the House.

An interesting bill introduced in the House last year, the "Equal COLA Act," which would give FERS retirees the same COLA that other retirees (CSRS, Social Security, military) get and not the "Diet COLA" which is capped at 2% (I believe). However, that bill died with the last Congress, and has yet to be reintroduced.

Another bill which died with the last Congress was the "Federal Employee Pension Fairness Act of 2017" which would roll back all FERS contributions to 0.8%. Also not yet reintroduced.

So the second bills regarding FERS were introduced but never enacted. I'm no accountant but I suspect that they would have a larger long-term impact than a pay raise. From what I've read there was a bit of accounting slight-of-hand that went into FERS and the various increases in contributions in order to make it look like the costs would be controlled. Again, both these FERS-related bills were introduced by Democrats (one from Virginia, one from Maryland, strangely enough) and are quite different from the current administration's proposals to cut federal retirement benefits.

Edited by user Sunday, February 03, 2019 6:27:01 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Edit the subject and add more blather

DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
GWPDA  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 03, 2019 8:18:07 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 461 time(s) in 383 post(s)
One part of the problem was that when the pay raise fell thru the shutdown crack, a freeze on locality pay tables adjustment was imposed. I have yet to hear whether this is going to be undone.
thanks 1 user thanked GWPDA for this useful post.
someoldguy on 2/3/2019(UTC)
someoldguy  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 03, 2019 8:46:01 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Originally Posted by: GWPDA Go to Quoted Post
One part of the problem was that when the pay raise fell thru the shutdown crack, a freeze on locality pay tables adjustment was imposed. I have yet to hear whether this is going to be undone.
Are you referring to the adjustments that were already approved? I did not know that.

The four areas that I heard of (after a quick search to refresh my "memory") were Birmingham, AL; Burlington, VT; San Antonio, TX; and Virginia Beach-Norfolk VA. I believe the plan was to create locality areas for these cities (and the surrounding areas) and move them out of the "Rest of US" area.

So you're saying that none of that has happened?

P.S. from what I've read, the 2.6% pay raise making its way through Congress is across the board on the pay table and does not include any locality component.

Edited by user Sunday, February 03, 2019 8:52:02 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Just one more thing...

GWPDA  
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 03, 2019 12:51:10 PM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 461 time(s) in 383 post(s)
Fedsmith told us:
"On December 22, 2018, President Donald Trump instituted a pay freeze for federal civilian employees. The Executive Order, No. X19-10108, “Adjustments of Certain Rates of Pay” (the Order), sets forth that non-military federal employees’ pay rates will remain unchanged through 2019.

The Office of Personnel Management has issued pay tables for 2019 pursuant to the Order. These tables make it clear the 2019 pay scales have not changed from the 2018 rates. As it currently stands, the freeze is in effect—for now."

This Order was issued during the shutdown and seems not have migrated to the Federal Register. Yet. If you read the order (https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/executive-order-adjustments-certain-rates-pay/) what you will see is that it publishes the identical pay tables and locality tables for 2018 - and states they are the ones applicable. Thus, since the locality pay tables would normally have automatically adjusted, and the new localities been added, the Order froze the tables and the localities to status quo, 31 December 2018.

Cute, hunh?

someoldguy  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2019 2:15:15 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Seems like the Senate version of the fed pay raise legislation is going nowhere fast.

S.262 - A bill to provide for a pay increase in 2019 for certain civilian employees of the Federal Government, and for other purposes.

It was introduced on 29 Jan and nothing since. Some other bills have been introduced since then which have seen some action.

Why am I not surprised...
Rss Feed  Atom Feed