Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
frizell  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 04, 2019 4:54:39 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I recently made a request to my command to request for a desk audit. Instead they revised my PD and canceled my desk audit request. My initial request was doing the duties outside of my major duties and responsibilities and they revised my PD to included the the outside duties in my major duties. Either way they have make unofficial tasking into an official one. The PDs still warren desk audit for different pay grade regardless of higher or lower. My question is can HR deem unnecessary for desk audit because they have provided me with a new PD??
TheRealOrange  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 04, 2019 5:13:14 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 110 time(s) in 93 post(s)
Originally Posted by: frizell Go to Quoted Post
I recently made a request to my command to request for a desk audit. Instead they revised my PD and canceled my desk audit request. My initial request was doing the duties outside of my major duties and responsibilities and they revised my PD to included the the outside duties in my major duties. Either way they have make unofficial tasking into an official one. The PDs still warren desk audit for different pay grade regardless of higher or lower. My question is can HR deem unnecessary for desk audit because they have provided me with a new PD??

It may be that HR added the responsibilities to the PD to ensure that the PD was correct, and also made a classification decision that the grade should remain unchanged. If so, then perhaps the audit has been completed. In any event, here are links to US OPM guidance on classification issues and appeals:

https://www.opm.gov/poli...ations/appeal-decisions/
https://www.opm.gov/poli...fact-sheets/mso-98-3.pdf

frizell  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 04, 2019 5:56:43 AM(UTC)

You are correct the new PD included new responsibilities and HR did made the classification decision the grade should remain unchanged. My question is how did they decided the pay grade should remain the same without conducting interviews?? According the fact sheet you have refer me to those pertaining to OPM process do they apply to HR agencies??
TheRealOrange  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 04, 2019 6:59:46 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 110 time(s) in 93 post(s)
Originally Posted by: frizell Go to Quoted Post
You are correct the new PD included new responsibilities and HR did made the classification decision the grade should remain unchanged. My question is how did they decided the pay grade should remain the same without conducting interviews?? According the fact sheet you have refer me to those pertaining to OPM process do they apply to HR agencies??

I am far from an HR expert, so perhaps people more knowledgeable will join the discussion and respond to your questions. In most instances I have been involved with, grade determinations have been made using the position classification standards and the position description. In some instances, but not many, interviews were conducted to determine if the PD duties were accurate. In this instance, it appears that HR added the duties and responsibilities to the PD. Therefore, unless there are other duties that you believe are still absent but properly should be included in the PD, the position classification standards can be used to assign the proper grade to the PD without the need for any further inquiry.
HR Bubba  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 04, 2019 7:46:04 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 223 time(s) in 176 post(s)
Couple of quick points:

- 1st step of an audit is to confirm that the duties on the PD are accurate; this is done with the supervisor (not the employee) as the supervisor is the one certifying the accuracy of the PD. NOTE: Not ALL duties/tasks are required to be on the PD; the PD should capture the major/main duties/responsibilities of the position.

- If there is enough information provided to the classifier to evaluate the PD then they classifier may not have to talk to the employee. It appears that this may be the case in your situation.

- If you still think there are major duties/responsibilities not on your PD then re-raise the issue.

* Quantity of work will not get you a higher grade (e.g., I build more widgets than anyone else in my shop); quality of work MAY get you a higher grade (e.g., I design and build prototype widgets).
* Do not compare your PD to anyone else's PD, that is not how classification works (e.g., I know this person at xxx and they do the same work as me, but are a grade higher). And, how do you know that their PD is the one graded correctly? Maybe yours is correct and theirs' is over-graded.
* PD's are evaluated/graded using the OPM classification standards. Unfortunately, unless you have some training/experience in classification this can be a baffling process.

Best of luck.
frankgonzalez  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 04, 2019 8:38:14 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 901 time(s) in 711 post(s)
Originally Posted by: HR Bubba Go to Quoted Post
* PD's are evaluated/graded using the OPM classification standards. Unfortunately, unless you have some training/experience in classification this can be a baffling process.
I nominate this as the biggest understatement of the year.

(I am under the impression that classification involves the sacrifice of a few interns and occasionally some other animals for the higher graded positions to be classified. Reading the entrails is a near lost art, I fear.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
thanks 1 user thanked frankgonzalez for this useful post.
HR Bubba on 2/4/2019(UTC)
frizell  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 04, 2019 11:04:36 PM(UTC)

Thank you for everyone's reply. On the new PD, I do have the supervisor's certification on the accuracy of the PD. I am not raising the issue of quantity nor comparing what other's do. I am comparing my old PD to my new PD. The Major duties and responsibilities has expanded from Asset/Inventory Manager with out percentage assigned to Asset/Inventory Manage(40%), Customer Service Team lead(35%) and Clinical Information System Project Lead(25%). The new PD has also expanded the knowledge required: "Knowledge of and skill in applying, troubleshooting network infrastructures, storage area networks, DISA Exchange Email, DNS, DHCP, Microsoft SCCM, SQL databases, Active Directory, user, group and computer account management, Mobile phone services, SMTP, group policy, scripting, patching, asset security, Windows servers, racked servers, blade servers, virtual servers, encryption strategies, secure configuration and management, host-based security systems, cloud services, VMWare and enterprise data/server backups and restores." All These are newly added, it also included incident and configuration management knowledge plus more.. The extra knowledge and responsibilities are the areas where I am asking to conduct a desk audit. I am not understanding why HR deem this unnecessary, in my opinion the dynamic of the entire PD has changed.
HR Bubba  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2019 4:28:52 AM(UTC)

What level is assigned to factor #1? And #4 (I'm asking this for for a reason). Just a guess, but is it 1-7 & 4-4? Also, is the word Lead or Leader in the official title on the PD?

Edited by user Tuesday, February 05, 2019 4:43:39 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

frizell  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2019 6:21:37 AM(UTC)

I am not sure what they assigned the level. It is Customer Service Team Lead(35%). HR Bubba can I PM??? I could PM you my PD maybe this will help. There are lot more requirement from the new PD
frizell  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2019 8:39:11 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: HR Bubba Go to Quoted Post
What level is assigned to factor #1? And #4 (I'm asking this for for a reason). Just a guess, but is it 1-7 & 4-4? Also, is the word Lead or Leader in the official title on the PD?

I am not sure what they assigned the level. I have been told they cannot provide me with scorecard rating on my own PD nor the classification standard they used. It is Customer Service Team Lead(35%). HR Bubba can I PM??? I could PM you my PD maybe this will help. There are lot more requirement from the new PD
HR Bubba  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2019 11:33:52 AM(UTC)

Sure, go ahead and send it.
frizell  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, February 06, 2019 3:09:16 AM(UTC)

HR Bubba,

I am new to the forum. Just wondering if you have received my PM. thanks
HR Bubba  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, February 06, 2019 5:14:04 AM(UTC)

Got it. As soon as I get a chance to review, I will let you know my thoughts.
HR Bubba  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, February 06, 2019 9:06:14 AM(UTC)

Check your mail, I sent you some information.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed