Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
1gijosie  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 7, 2019 9:37:25 AM(UTC)
1gijosie

Groups: Registered
United States

I am seeing more positions open only to ICTAP, CTAP, and RPL eligibles. I am just curious to know, are there really are that many such candidates out there? I didn't really think people are displaced very often in fed jobs. I am not against this AT ALL I am only wondering if it is an issue lately for people.
djp  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 9, 2019 11:49:01 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 120 post(s)
It depends on location. These can occur in a re irganization where agency X decides they don’t need 6 regional offices and instead need only 5 in thus area. They may choose to eliminate this regional office because the agency has a bunch of other divisions at thus site so it allows them to transfer them.

Another example is a sister agencies did this and alit of people transfer between the two si they open this first with a shirt lust in mind.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
1gijosie on 2/12/2019(UTC)
someoldguy  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 9, 2019 12:34:03 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 900 time(s) in 753 post(s)
There's another factor from what I've learned: it may be easier for an agency to get approval to post a vacancy announcement, or even to create a new position, if they can post it this way. So it may not be a question of needed to absorb any eligible candidates but rather trying to get the announcement opened in the first place.
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
thanks 1 user thanked someoldguy for this useful post.
HR Bubba  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2019 3:23:57 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 237 time(s) in 190 post(s)
Very often, the reason you see announcements like this is the agency is simply complying with federal regulations. ICTAP, CTAP, PPP, RPL, etc. are all special/priority placement programs for displaced (e.g., RIF, TOF, etc.) employees. When an agency is recruiting for a vacancy they may be required to "clear" one or more of the special programs. By clear I mean they have to ensure that there are no eligible/qualified persons registered who may be placed in their vacancy; an agency cannot fill a vacancy with an outside candidate if there is a "stopper" on one of these programs.
When you see a vacancy announced and the only persons that they are opening the vacancy to are persons on special placement programs it usually means that the agency is trying to fill the vacancy via a non-competitive source (e.g., reinstatement, schedule A, VRA, etc.), but they must first "clear" the stopper lists before they can appointment the non-competitive eligible person. While some special placement programs have a separate system/process for clearing vacancies (e.g., PPP & RPL), others can only be cleared through the use of a job announcement (E.g., ICTAP).
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
1gijosie  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2019 9:11:09 AM(UTC)
1gijosie

United States

Thank you everyone. I found out that one job I am interested in was posted that way because they had a requirement to do so. Luckily, when you open the announcement and read the agency clarification section they added AND VEOA eligible. So, I can apply even though I am not CTAP or displaced in any way. Also, fewer people will apply because they may skip over the announcement when they see IFCP, CTAP, RPL only. Good for me but kind of sneaky it seems.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed