Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Retirees

For those approaching retirement as well as the currently already retired, here is a forum to share ideas and thoughts and exchange questions and answers.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

To maximize your retirement, we also suggest you read "Retired Federal Employees Almanac".

(Reminder: soliciting of services is not allowed on this site.)

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LadyLayne  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2019 7:22:37 AM(UTC)
LadyLayne

Groups: Registered
United States

Hello, this is my first post. I retired on January 3, 2019 and I’m CSRS. I received my last paycheck on January 14 and my annual leave pay the week after that (I received my annual leave pay after the government shutdown ended). The agency I retired from wasn’t affected by the shutdown (funding comes from a different source) but our payroll is handled by USDA and we were told that USDA was working with a limited staff when it comes to retirements. Other than receiving letters from FEDVIP and Long Term Care about my premiums and they know I’m retired I haven’t received anything from OPM. Does anyone know how long it takes for OPM to receive retirement packages from USDA? Could the shutdown be the reason for the delay in sending retirement packages to OPM? I know January retirements tend to be higher than other months but from what I’ve been reading most people seem to receive their first interim check the first week in February. I’m doing okay so far financially but it would be nice to receive my first interim check.
King_Fed  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2019 9:56:10 AM(UTC)
King_Fed

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 49 post(s)
I don't have an answer to your question... wanted to say "congratulations on retirement and thank you for dedicating your career to the American People"!
LadyLayne  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2019 4:39:52 PM(UTC)
LadyLayne

United States

Originally Posted by: King_Fed Go to Quoted Post
I don't have an answer to your question... wanted to say "congratulations on retirement and thank you for dedicating your career to the American People"!

Thank you King_Fed.

Edited by user Sunday, February 10, 2019 4:40:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

postalvet  
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2019 5:43:32 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 2902 time(s) in 2294 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LadyLayne Go to Quoted Post
Hello, this is my first post. I retired on January 3, 2019 and I’m CSRS. I received my last paycheck on January 14 and my annual leave pay the week after that (I received my annual leave pay after the government shutdown ended). The agency I retired from wasn’t affected by the shutdown (funding comes from a different source) but our payroll is handled by USDA and we were told that USDA was working with a limited staff when it comes to retirements. Other than receiving letters from FEDVIP and Long Term Care about my premiums and they know I’m retired I haven’t received anything from OPM. Does anyone know how long it takes for OPM to receive retirement packages from USDA? Could the shutdown be the reason for the delay in sending retirement packages to OPM? I know January retirements tend to be higher than other months but from what I’ve been reading most people seem to receive their first interim check the first week in February. I’m doing okay so far financially but it would be nice to receive my first interim check.

you might try contact OPM.

this seems like a long time.

have you checked your bank account because checks are not issued.

congrats, on retiring you will like it a lot.

Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
Civil10  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2019 9:16:43 AM(UTC)

I put my retirement package in 5 months prior, Retired oct 12 received an intern check a month later. TSP was unlocked to do my monthly withdrawal form, I faxed that in and 10 days later that check was in the bank. My case was finalized 3 months later. It all flowed very well.
LadyLayne  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2019 1:05:27 PM(UTC)
LadyLayne

United States

Originally Posted by: postalvet Go to Quoted Post

Thank you postalvet. I'm loving retirement. I have direct deposit and have been checking my account.

I just received a letter from USDA today. They sent my retirement info to OPM on February 6. Hopefully I will get my first interim pay soon.
postalvet  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2019 2:22:51 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Originally Posted by: postalvet Go to Quoted Post

Thank you postalvet. I'm loving retirement. I have direct deposit and have been checking my account.

I just received a letter from USDA today. They sent my retirement info to OPM on February 6. Hopefully I will get my first interim pay soon.

wow February 6th, the shut down did affect you, sorry. hang in there you will be made whole.
Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
Mygirls3  
#8 Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2019 4:31:10 AM(UTC)
Mygirls3

United States

Hello, I retired on December 31, 2018 and also was affected by the government shutdown. I did receive my final paycheck and annual lump sum after the government reopened, but my paperwork still has not been sent to OPM. I called OPM on Tuesday and I am still not in their system. This is so frustrating!
postalvet  
#9 Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2019 7:50:12 AM(UTC)
postalvet

this is why many say you should have a minimum of three months in savings when you retire.

LadyLayne  
#10 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2019 11:57:27 AM(UTC)
LadyLayne

United States

Originally Posted by: Mygirls3 Go to Quoted Post
Hello, I retired on December 31, 2018 and also was affected by the government shutdown. I did receive my final paycheck and annual lump sum after the government reopened, but my paperwork still has not been sent to OPM. I called OPM on Tuesday and I am still not in their system. This is so frustrating!

Mygirls3, I understand what you're going through. Try calling them again next week. The shutdown caused a backlog.
LadyLayne  
#11 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2019 12:02:52 PM(UTC)
LadyLayne

United States

I called OPM yesterday and I was in the system. I was just glad to hear that my retirement information was received by OPM. The representative told me I should be seeing my February 2019 interim pay very soon and my March 2019 interim payment will be deposited the first business day in March. Well I looked in my checking account this morning and the February interim pay was deposited. What a relief.
Mygirls3  
#12 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2019 7:35:31 AM(UTC)
Mygirls3

United States

Lady Layne, That is certainly great news for you! I did speak to someone at the NFC that said mine was delayed due to my agency being shutdown. She did say that my paperwork should go to OPM in a few weeks! Congratulations on your retirement and enjoy!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed