Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Shozen  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2019 3:51:52 PM(UTC)
Shozen

Groups: Registered
United States

Due to public trusts now being reinvestigated in 5 yearish windows and my 5th year anniversary will be Dec 2019 so had me wondering about my chances of being denied.

A little backstory in my situation in 2016 me and the wife went to Hawaii and while we were there we bought into a timeshare (stupid l know and I consider myself fairly intelligent) but anyways, they are literally a legal scam. We always have had trouble using it and nothing in the sales pitch really turned out to be true.

Fast forward to 2018 after religiously paying the timeshare loan on time and not really being able to use it we consulted with a lawyer and leading 3rd party advocacy group that helps people get out of timeshare contracts for these specific reasons. Both have said the only option would be strategic default which is stop paying the loan and fees then negotiate the contract exit. Granted this means credit can and will be effected until its cancelled and removed which can take 6 months to a year.

My question/concern is would this likely deny my public trust from being renewed? Again no other accounts are in bad standing, no law violations, no employment issues, no other financial issues etc.

Thanks for the advice!
someoldguy  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2019 4:20:00 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 900 time(s) in 753 post(s)
This is an interesting post... for one thing, I didn't know that there was a reinvestigation requirement for public trust (maybe this is new?). The other thing that caught my eye is the timeshare thing.

Be sure to have all the correspondence and documentation on hand. The investigator will want lots of info, I am sure. No idea how this will impact the public trust although financial issues are a major source of concern.
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
Shozen  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2019 4:23:30 PM(UTC)
Shozen

United States

Thanks for a reply. Yes it was changed a couple years back but is now just getting fully implemented. I dont think it's a guarantee you will recieve a reinvesgation exactly on your 5 year window but its possible.

It's the only thing on my credit report that gives any problem so hopefully with that being the only thing it will benefit me.
birdonamission  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2019 8:22:38 AM(UTC)
birdonamission

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 48 post(s)
FWIW:

I'm moving into a new position (in the same agency) next week, start of Pay Period 04. When I got the final offer letter, it said at the bottom, "You will occupy a position that requires a personal background investigation..."

Since a Public Trust BI was done when I joined the agency in 2016, out of curiousity, I asked whether a new one is needed again and the answer was, "No, that is a template statement in the offer letter. There will be a re-investigation *5 years* after the last one in 2016."

Again, the new job is in the same agency. This would be almost surely different if coming from another agency.
Shozen  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2019 8:37:19 AM(UTC)
Shozen

United States

Yes they changed the rules by EO in 2009. OPM made a final determination in 2017 and it started to get fully implemented in 2018.

I still think there is an extreme back log because there is 2 people at my facility that havent had their public trust reinvestigation in 25 years.

But there was 2 that just went through it and was their first 1 in 15 years.

The OPM order says that every MRPT will be reinvestiagted every 5 years however reinvestigation might not occur exactly on the 5 year anniversary or near it. It will be done on a random basis.

This seems to be the case at my facility as I stated above. It clearly seems random.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed