Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Relocating

Are you considering relocating your federal career - either by your choice or by Uncle Sam? There are practical issues and concerns to think about when deciding whether or not to relocate. Others have done it while still others have not. This forum will allow for all to offer their insight, post their questions, and help each other out.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
esmoove90  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2019 2:04:28 PM(UTC)
esmoove90

Groups: Registered

Got a TO with a halfway decent relocation incentive. Discussion is to start in about 6 weeks, so I gave an informal heads up to my boss (because he's been super supportive)and also my apartment building due to needing to give a decent notice so they could help decrease my lease-end penalties. I'm so excited to move!

My question is, since both of these positions are relatively lower level background checks, I'm curious if anybody knows what types of infractions on a record could the new agency to find someone not suitable(I know this is very subjective)? I have a wet/reckless driving conviction that I described on my OF-306 that my current agency obviously didn't mind, but always nervous how the new agency's adjudication staff will decide on it.

Waiting on this answer is forcing me to hold off finalizing movers, inquiring with new landlords, etc. Sounds like I should find out in about 2 weeks.

Edit: Anybody that has experience with Uhaul Ubox or using a full-service moving broker (not a company that uses all in-house employees/agents), please send me feedback!

Edited by user Tuesday, February 12, 2019 2:06:11 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Adding extra info

frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2019 4:57:45 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 973 time(s) in 774 post(s)
Originally Posted by: esmoove90 Go to Quoted Post
Got a TO with a halfway decent relocation incentive. Discussion is to start in about 6 weeks, so I gave an informal heads up to my boss (because he's been super supportive)and also my apartment building due to needing to give a decent notice so they could help decrease my lease-end penalties. I'm so excited to move!

My question is, since both of these positions are relatively lower level background checks, I'm curious if anybody knows what types of infractions on a record could the new agency to find someone not suitable(I know this is very subjective)? I have a wet/reckless driving conviction that I described on my OF-306 that my current agency obviously didn't mind, but always nervous how the new agency's adjudication staff will decide on it.

Waiting on this answer is forcing me to hold off finalizing movers, inquiring with new landlords, etc. Sounds like I should find out in about 2 weeks.

Edit: Anybody that has experience with Uhaul Ubox or using a full-service moving broker (not a company that uses all in-house employees/agents), please send me feedback!
I moved from Los Angeles to DC and used Packrat for the move (you load/unload the container, they move it cross country). I had three containers, 2 of the 16ft and 1 8ft, and everything made it in one piece. I also noted what went into each container so I could have them delivered in a specific order (ie need the stuff for every day living before getting the stereo, and non-essentials). I went from a single level home to a 2 story home, so hired some people locally to unload the heavy stuff that had to go upstairs. I hired someone to help pack the house in LA, but the "supervisor" spent more time on the phone (he was one of two people supposedly there to work) than actually working. The other guy did great (tipped him), and fired the company halfway through the day as a result of the supervisor not actually working (comparison..the worker bee had packed boxes at a ratio of 10 to every 1 the "supervisor" packed). Ended up with a full refund as a result when the owner of the company called me and asked me why I was not happy and sent them home early.

The people I hired here in DC were great...they made certain to take care of my stuff and moved everything quickly and helped unpack several boxes as "you paid for our time, so you deserve the time you paid for." A great surprise and I was more concerned with carrying heavy things upstairs.

Bottom line..if you hire a crew to pack/load/unpack because you are using ubox/packrat/etc, do some research beforehand. I did plenty while on my drive to DC (took some leave beyond what was needed to get to DC) after my experience in LA. After I fired the crew, I did some research on the company and found several comments regarding the supervisor being on the phone all the time and not actually working.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
djp  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2019 7:39:42 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 129 time(s) in 126 post(s)
First off...don’t do anything till it’s official offer

What sort of relo

I have done it myself and had it covered and done cross country moves.

Rough estimate...you pack your own stuff in boxes and moving company picks up loads and delivers...$10K for 1000 cu feet

I went and bought boxes at uhaul and heavy duty ones from Lowe’s/Home Depot

LawOrder  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 5, 2019 11:45:55 PM(UTC)
LawOrder

Man
United States

Congrats. I’m also moving cross country from Portland, Oregon to D.C.. No relocation incentives here, so I’m doing a major downsizing to save both on rent and moving costs. Using Ubox, but hiring movers to pack to the Ubox terminal, because that’s the cheapest option.

wowken  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 6, 2019 6:26:17 PM(UTC)
wowken

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Good to hear that jobs without relocation assistance are actually hiring from across country. Been applying for vacancies on the east coast from Colorado Springs and most jobs are without RA, hoping I was not wasting my time.
mallen  
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 19, 2019 12:56:36 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I did a cross country move that cost 800 dollars including gas (probably 1000 at today's prices) , a trailer hitch for my Ford Focus and one of those Harbor Freight trailers. It all depends on how much your taking with you.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed