Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Contractors

Are you one of the millions who work for Uncle Sam but is not employeed by him? If so, then you are part of the federal contrators' world. This forum is created to allow contrators to share experiences and give insight to others.

FederalSoup is a FREE forum site dedicated to serving the needs of federal contractors, so please keep this forum on topic and focused. This will help make this community valuable. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
steppinthrax  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2019 8:10:23 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
So here's a question, it might be pretty self explanatory. I've been working as a fed contractor on a particular agency for a few years now. The contract is 2 FTE. Just last September at the last renewal period the gov decided to reduce the workload to 1 FTE, cutting my colleague who's been here 15 years. Just for the past few months I've been getting a reduced amount of workload, in general very little work to simple "busy work". There's a federal employee that I have a good relationship with and he tries to stick his neck out for me asking the lead or managers about giving work to me (i.e. "Can John help with this"). However, there reply had been "no" or they said very little if anything.

The first impression that Im' getting is they are going to cut me this coming Sept as well, however I don't know for sure. My performance within the contract has been good and if they had any issues with me I suspect they'd notify my company boss, but anytime my company boss talked to the PM he's said he's satisfied with the work. Another thing is 2 years ago they tried to "poach" me over to the gov side, however the same gov job had a lower pay and I was being offered a bonus and increase by my company around that time which would go over the gov job.

So I guess my question is should I notify my company boss about my theory, would it hurt me or help me or maybe nothing? In addition, are my suspicions correct?

Edited by user Thursday, February 14, 2019 8:12:58 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2019 8:42:43 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1211 time(s) in 967 post(s)
Originally Posted by: steppinthrax Go to Quoted Post
So here's a question, it might be pretty self explanatory. I've been working as a fed contractor on a particular agency for a few years now. The contract is 2 FTE. Just last September at the last renewal period the gov decided to reduce the workload to 1 FTE, cutting my colleague who's been here 15 years. Just for the past few months I've been getting a reduced amount of workload, in general very little work to simple "busy work". There's a federal employee that I have a good relationship with and he tries to stick his neck out for me asking the lead or managers about giving work to me (i.e. "Can John help with this"). However, there reply had been "no" or they said very little if anything.

The first impression that Im' getting is they are going to cut me this coming Sept as well, however I don't know for sure. My performance within the contract has been good and if they had any issues with me I suspect they'd notify my company boss, but anytime my company boss talked to the PM he's said he's satisfied with the work. Another thing is 2 years ago they tried to "poach" me over to the gov side, however the same gov job had a lower pay and I was being offered a bonus and increase by my company around that time which would go over the gov job.

So I guess my question is should I notify my company boss about my theory, would it hurt me or help me or maybe nothing? In addition, are my suspicions correct?
You went with the money vs stability...and here you are.

If you feel your position may be cut, time to start looking for a new job. Easier to find a new position when you have a job than waiting until you are unemployed.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
steppinthrax  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2019 9:16:55 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: frankgonzalez Go to Quoted Post

If you feel your position may be cut, time to start looking for a new job. Easier to find a new position when you have a job than waiting until you are unemployed.

I don't want to get into a discussion of Gov v.s. Contracting because that's not my issue. Right now I'm young and contracting is good for me and I could never make the money and acomplish what I've done as a federal employee. I've been offered a federal employee position 3 times and turned down each. I can find a job quickly, however I like the job environment here and I'm just trying to understand what type of behaviors gov exhibit when they try to get rid of a contractor. I prefer to stay where I am. But if I have to move I can find a job in a month to a few with my skills.
frankgonzalez  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2019 10:38:54 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1211 time(s) in 967 post(s)

I don't want to get into a discussion of Gov v.s. Contracting because that's not my issue. Right now I'm young and contracting is good for me and I could never make the money and acomplish what I've done as a federal employee. I've been offered a federal employee position 3 times and turned down each. I can find a job quickly, however I like the job environment here and I'm just trying to understand what type of behaviors gov exhibit when they try to get rid of a contractor. I prefer to stay where I am. But if I have to move I can find a job in a month to a few with my skills.
The gov tries not to cut people when it comes to contractors only the needs for the contract. This is because if they say get rid of steppinthrax, they run the risk of being considered a joint employer, and thereby provide you rights as if you were a federal employee. However, if they say to the Contracting Officer, we don't need the support this contract provides in this location and that results in steppinthrax no longer being employed...well, now that is between you and your employer, and not between you and your employer and the government.

The issue may be the work needed is no longer there, and the fed office doesn't want to give up the support from the contract just yet, as they expect the need will come back soon. Or it could be they are evaluating if they still need the support period.

My agency is going through a massive restructure over the next few years, aligning field offices under the HQ program lead (ie all local HR will now fall under the Office of Human Capital, all the local finance folks will now fall under the agency CFO, etc. vs the local center director) This will change how we do business going forward. It will eventually create some efficiencies, and hopefully get rid of duplication of effort for some things, as well as allow shifting of work as needed across the various field offices as their bandwidth changes. That said, the transition time will be full of aches and pains as we shift, and so we (at least in my function) are not going to give up our contractor support for now. In fact, the contractor in my office may pick up some workload as some of our sibling offices do not have anyone doing what we have our contractor doing for us (and asked if they can request assistance/support when needed!).

And, to repeat what I said earlier...skills or not, it is easier to get a position when you have a job than when you don't. So if you have any feeling this may go away soon, now is the time to start applying away.

Edited by user Thursday, February 14, 2019 10:39:46 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
steppinthrax  
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2019 11:46:01 AM(UTC)

The gov tries not to cut people when it comes to contractors only the needs for the contract. This is because if they say get rid of steppinthrax, they run the risk of being considered a joint employer, and thereby provide you rights as if you were a federal employee. However, if they say to the Contracting Officer, we don't need the support this contract provides in this location and that results in steppinthrax no longer being employed...well, now that is between you and your employer, and not between you and your employer and the government.

The issue may be the work needed is no longer there, and the fed office doesn't want to give up the support from the contract just yet, as they expect the need will come back soon. Or it could be they are evaluating if they still need the support period.

My agency is going through a massive restructure over the next few years, aligning field offices under the HQ program lead (ie all local HR will now fall under the Office of Human Capital, all the local finance folks will now fall under the agency CFO, etc. vs the local center director) This will change how we do business going forward. It will eventually create some efficiencies, and hopefully get rid of duplication of effort for some things, as well as allow shifting of work as needed across the various field offices as their bandwidth changes. That said, the transition time will be full of aches and pains as we shift, and so we (at least in my function) are not going to give up our contractor support for now. In fact, the contractor in my office may pick up some workload as some of our sibling offices do not have anyone doing what we have our contractor doing for us (and asked if they can request assistance/support when needed!).

And, to repeat what I said earlier...skills or not, it is easier to get a position when you have a job than when you don't. So if you have any feeling this may go away soon, now is the time to start applying away.

Thanks,

The PM on the gov side approached me several years ago asking if I'd be willing to apply onto an open position under his umbrella. My understanding from others is they do this because they like you and as others I've worked with (gov side) say I work well with others and professionally. My thinking is since I've turned this down that he knows I would not be interested in gov anyway, so maybe his goal was to poach contractors anyway. Not sure, or maybe he felt insulted by it. Again, not sure.

Anyway, I get your drift. It's always better to look for a job while you have a job because you are in power at that moment. I get it.

someoldguy  
#6 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2019 5:23:46 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 1030 time(s) in 871 post(s)
I've spent a little time working as a contractor at another location away from my company. I thought the attitude from management was "off site, out of mind." As long as you're charging the contract, life is good. Once you come off contract for whatever reason, things can get dicey.

That's why it is important to keep in touch with your employer back at the home office... if you have one. Try to keep track of what else is going on in case you are need of a change or in need of a lifeboat. Make sure you keep them up to date with your situation. There could be another office supported by the very same contract that is begging for help.

ALWAYS keep your resume up to date! I think it also helps to be in continuous job search mode, just to keep in practice.

And be skeptical of these headhunters and recruiters... I think in their spare time some of them run Nigerian banking scams... seems to be about the same level of reliability :)

DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed