Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Financial Discussion

It is always wise to have a secure financial foundation. Here is a place to ask questions, exchange ideas and share information on how to make the most of your money.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
summerl8  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2019 9:59:24 AM(UTC)
summerl8

Groups: Registered

I am a GS-7 pot 12 in an 1102 series position for the Air Force. My path to GS-12 is 7, 9, 11, 12.

I started my federal career at another DoD agency in September 2017 as a GS-8 in an 0335 series position, for which there are no OPM qualification standards. I made a "lateral" move to AF in August 2018 as a GS-7 step 2 (I'm still salty about the timing and stepping). I qualified for a GS-7 position based on Superior Academic Achievement of my Bachelor's.

My question: I just graduated with an MBA, which I believe qualifies me for a GS-9 based on education, but not based on 1 year of specialized experience, which I obviously won't have until August. Can I move up my ladder on education qualifications alone?

If so, how should I go about requesting a grade change? Is there a standard form I can prepare while I am trying to locate my agency's POC? What documents should I gather?
Polar Bear  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2019 7:45:18 AM(UTC)
Polar Bear

United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
AFAIK, no agency does merit promotions like this. I have a JD, LLM, a BA, and am working on a second masters. I got hired at a 7/9, even though I qualify for 11/12 on paper. No where in the paperwork does the qualification listing promotion to 9 say anything about must have a degree. At this point it's time in grade and performance. Maybe yours will be different, only person you can ask is your manager and HR person. I'm going to guess in order to benefit for your degree you will need to find another position to lateral into that contains a 9. I will say this though, your position goes to 12. At most, you could save a year by restarting at a 9 versus a 7, but in the long run it won't matter. 11 and 12 still take multiple years at 9/11 for merit promotions.
King_Fed  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2019 4:12:41 PM(UTC)
King_Fed

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Polar Bear Go to Quoted Post
AFAIK, no agency does merit promotions like this. I have a JD, LLM, a BA, and am working on a second masters. I got hired at a 7/9, even though I qualify for 11/12 on paper..

I can't agree with that... on paper, I'd say you are a 14/15.... maybe a 13, if you have zero experience.

Is a second masters going to help you? Don't answer that... I'm wondering to myself in space....
Polar Bear  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2019 4:17:10 PM(UTC)
Polar Bear

United States

Not likely, not unless I applied to a specific series related to it, and only then minimal at best. I already know that.
Polar Bear  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2019 4:31:38 PM(UTC)
Polar Bear

United States

Actually, I'll have to rephrase that.

There are specific agencies and jobs I could 'not' qualify for without the degree and related outcomes.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed