Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Employees: You be the Judge

Get real-life reviews of key court cases involving federal employees. Share your opinion on the outcomes of these cases, or participate in other discussions about workplace issues that may impact your job.

Be civil when debating with others in the forum. Uncivil remarks toward any other forum member is prohibited on FederalSoup and should be reported immediately.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
HbS  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 04, 2019 5:09:44 PM(UTC)
HbS

Groups: Registered
United States

What happens if I don't get an annual appraisal? I've been told that I will not continue working. HR assures me that my supervisor "must" sign an annual appraisal, but they said the same thing about the Plan and the Midterm. I had to hound my supervisor to get my Plan (which i wrote) approved 4-6 months after it was due. I haven't received a progress review and now my annual is due in a few weeks, two and a half of which my supervisor will be on leave across the country. Am I still going to be able to pay the mortgage in April?
DaVinci95  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 05, 2019 5:23:37 AM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 56 post(s)
Who told you that you won't continue working? A lack of appraisal isn't termination. Depending on your agency rules, it may prevent you from getting a bonus but it doesn't mean you're out of a job. If you have to write a self-assessment, do so and submit it to your supervisor. If he misses the deadline, HR should start nagging him.
HbS  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 05, 2019 5:57:04 AM(UTC)
HbS

United States

My previous supervisor before I transferred here. I was told I have to be renewed annually because I'm a term, and that can't happen without an appraisal. HR told me and maybe my boss differently back in July when I was trying to get my Performance Plan/Midterm done.
GWPDA  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 05, 2019 6:33:27 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 465 time(s) in 387 post(s)
I'm going to assume that everyone in your group is merely clueless about term employment - it sounds as tho your previous supervisor thought you were a temporary appointment rather than a term. Yes, as a term employee, you need to be re-appointed annually up to four years, and yes, as part of that re-appointment you should have proper assessment and evaluation. But what MUST be done is the re-appointment, which paperwork generally begins at least a month beforehand and which is started by your management. If you have to bug your manager to start that paperwork going, then direct your energy there. However - if it doesn't get completed 'in time' you are not terminated. It's just late.
HbS  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 05, 2019 6:51:13 AM(UTC)
HbS

United States

Ok. Thank you. So I do need to be renewed annually? I bugged my boss about this during my plan and progress review struggles. He finally went to HR one day and came back and said I was good for three years. Does HR do this for my supervisor or does he have to complete this?

Edited by user Tuesday, March 05, 2019 10:31:09 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DroneBee  
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 10, 2019 2:23:41 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 93 post(s)
"Term and temporary employees are used to supplement the permanent civil service workforce. Temporary limited appointments are made for an initial period not to exceed (NTE) 1 year, and may be extended for one additional year for a total of 24 months. Term appointments are made for a specified period exceeding 1 year and lasting no more than 4 years." https://www.gsa.gov/dire...d-appointments-93161-cpo

Look at your SF-50 and see what code is listed and check this against the codes in the tables here: https://www.opm.gov/poli...onnel-actions/gppa10.pdf - then you can know what type of Nonstatus Appointment you have. Good luck and God Bless.
GWPDA  
#7 Posted : Sunday, March 10, 2019 9:20:53 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 465 time(s) in 387 post(s)
You are apparently on a Term appointment, "not to exceed" some length of time in excess of one year. This differs from a Temporary appointment which does NOT exceed one year's time. Your annual re-appointment is a formality, but a formality which has to be done. Your annual review or appraisal is different from your appointment renewal, but is still part of the ordinary process of employment. Your annual review testifies as to how well you're doing your job, and how well you're satisfying probation - yes, Terms have to go thru probation. The reason that your appointment has to be renewed each of the years is because term appointments CAN be terminated if the re-appointment is not made. Re-appointment MUST be done. Reviews OUGHT to be done.

It's just a form. Your manager should have notified HR.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed