Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
FSfan  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 05, 2019 2:12:39 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

i'm currently a gs 14 step 4 in dc... (competitive service)
been looking for opportunities to move back to california and was recently offered a job that has a promotion potential at a gs 14 (excepted service)

however, the office told me that HR said they can only hire me at a gs 13 if they want to do it through direct hiring authority... and HR said that they cannot salary match due to a "repromotion rule" so they can only offer me a 13 step 7 as opposed to a 13 step 10...

this whole thing sounds really strange.... thinking about going back to the people making the hiring decision to figure out whether there is some miscommunication between the grades being offered...

just wanted to throw this out to you folks with a ton more knowledge than me on this.... is there such a thing as a 'repromotion rule' where they cannot salary match on a grade down? also, is there a rule that direct hiring must be done at less than promotion potential?
GS 14
frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 06, 2019 4:08:34 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 912 time(s) in 720 post(s)
Sounds like they are trying to save money. They could simply do a lateral transfer if they wanted.
You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
thanks 1 user thanked frankgonzalez for this useful post.
GWPDA on 3/6/2019(UTC)
Polar Bear  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 06, 2019 7:50:12 AM(UTC)
Polar Bear

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Only a guess. The 13 because you'd be eligible for the whole gs step down = non-competitive hiring?
VetPref68  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 09, 2019 7:33:47 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 84 time(s) in 73 post(s)
Excepted service positions are any federal or civil service positions which are not in the competitive service or the Senior Executive service. Excepted service agencies set their own qualification requirements and are not subject to the appointment, pay, and classification rules in title 5, United States Code.
frankgonzalez  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 11, 2019 2:54:53 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Originally Posted by: VetPref68 Go to Quoted Post
Excepted service positions are any federal or civil service positions which are not in the competitive service or the Senior Executive service. Excepted service agencies set their own qualification requirements and are not subject to the appointment, pay, and classification rules in title 5, United States Code.
I don't see where the OP said the position was in the excepted service, only that it was a Direct Hire (which can be done in the competitive service as well).

cyberfx1024  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 11, 2019 4:30:34 AM(UTC)
cyberfx1024

United States

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Originally Posted by: frankgonzalez Go to Quoted Post
I don't see where the OP said the position was in the excepted service, only that it was a Direct Hire (which can be done in the competitive service as well).

It was literally the 2nd line of the OPs post.

been looking for opportunities to move back to california and was recently offered a job that has a promotion potential at a gs 14 (excepted service)
thanks 1 user thanked cyberfx1024 for this useful post.
frankgonzalez on 3/11/2019(UTC)
frankgonzalez  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 11, 2019 6:06:24 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Originally Posted by: cyberfx1024 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: frankgonzalez Go to Quoted Post

It was literally the 2nd line of the OPs post.

My bad....reading too early and before caffeine kicks in is not good...
JJ1  
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 6:46:02 AM(UTC)
JJ1

United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
If it is a change to lower grade than the 14/4 to 13/7 is correct. They cannot offer you anything higher.
S D Analyst  
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 2:59:57 PM(UTC)
S D Analyst

Was thanked: 397 time(s) in 339 post(s)
Originally Posted by: FSfan Go to Quoted Post

however, the office told me that HR said they can only hire me at a gs 13 if they want to do it through direct hiring authority... and HR said that they cannot salary match due to a "repromotion rule" so they can only offer me a 13 step 7 as opposed to a 13 step 10...

this whole thing sounds really strange.... thinking about going back to the people making the hiring decision to figure out whether there is some miscommunication between the grades being offered...

just wanted to throw this out to you folks with a ton more knowledge than me on this.... is there such a thing as a 'repromotion rule' where they cannot salary match on a grade down? also, is there a rule that direct hiring must be done at less than promotion potential?

So have them use another hiring authority, not Direct Hire. They can offer you a lateral transfer, since you're already a 14. Cali is as expensive as D.C. in most places. I wouldn't take the downgrade unless you have no other option. Ask them to consider you for a non-competitive lateral transfer.

Edited by user Thursday, March 14, 2019 3:00:45 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed