Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages<12345>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
guruebby  
#41 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2019 5:11:22 PM(UTC)
guruebby

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 41 post(s)
Originally Posted by: USMC03 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: guruebby Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Cwal897 Go to Quoted Post
Congrats man! I’m still waiting! How did you receive the offer? Email? Call!

He called initially, but since I don't have access to my phone, he sent an email asking me to call. Had a 20 minute chat with the HR folks where we talked about everything, then they emailed over the tentative offer. Still need to talk it through a bit more with the wife tonight, but I'm leaning towards accepting it.

USAJobs has changed over to "Selected" too which is nice. Honestly, it just feels great to be wanted after sitting around waiting for the IRS or some other AF job to call.

What does the wife think about you being gone? What’s your location? Also I’m glad you got 9 I only got 7 any suggestions on the interview questions ?

She's okay with it for the moment.
She's on board with me being around when I'm not gone, though it will definitely take some getting used to.

I'll be working out of Salt Lake. I live about 30 miles north near Hill AFB, where I currently work for the Air Force. I qualified as a CU-9 because I have a couple of masters degrees, and they matched what the AF is currently paying (but not a penny more... I asked). If I take the job, I'll be coming on board about the middle of the CU-9 payband, which will bump my pay in subsequent years after promotions and all that. Honestly, even without a raise in my base pay, it'll probably be a $200-300 raise on my take home pay a month because of the insurance rebates.

I might see if I can leverage the offer to stay with the AF, especially since I have six weeks before I would start, but there isnt really a spot for me in my current org with a raise attached and I don't really want to go elsewhere at the moment.

It's also a question of where I could end up long-term; if I stay with the AF, would I be able to beat CU-12 (GS13 equivalent) pay in two years? Do I really see myself working for the AF for the next 20 years? My 3+ years with the AF hasn't been terrible, but it also hasn't felt like a "career" like this does.

I understand my wife says she doesn’t mind coming with me sometimes and living out of a suit case with our new born.

I’ll need to get a new car since the 08 I have won’t last one bit... this is a great opportunity. Did they say what area you would be covering?

Salt Lake City, so mostly northern Utah and southern Idaho.
USMC03  
#42 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2019 5:14:54 PM(UTC)
USMC03

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Cwal897 Go to Quoted Post
Congrats man! I’m still waiting! How did you receive the offer? Email? Call!

He called initially, but since I don't have access to my phone, he sent an email asking me to call. Had a 20 minute chat with the HR folks where we talked about everything, then they emailed over the tentative offer. Still need to talk it through a bit more with the wife tonight, but I'm leaning towards accepting it.

USAJobs has changed over to "Selected" too which is nice. Honestly, it just feels great to be wanted after sitting around waiting for the IRS or some other AF job to call.

What does the wife think about you being gone? What’s your location? Also I’m glad you got 9 I only got 7 any suggestions on the interview questions ?

She's okay with it for the moment.
She's on board with me being around when I'm not gone, though it will definitely take some getting used to.

I'll be working out of Salt Lake. I live about 30 miles north near Hill AFB, where I currently work for the Air Force. I qualified as a CU-9 because I have a couple of masters degrees, and they matched what the AF is currently paying (but not a penny more... I asked). If I take the job, I'll be coming on board about the middle of the CU-9 payband, which will bump my pay in subsequent years after promotions and all that. Honestly, even without a raise in my base pay, it'll probably be a $200-300 raise on my take home pay a month because of the insurance rebates.

I might see if I can leverage the offer to stay with the AF, especially since I have six weeks before I would start, but there isnt really a spot for me in my current org with a raise attached and I don't really want to go elsewhere at the moment.

It's also a question of where I could end up long-term; if I stay with the AF, would I be able to beat CU-12 (GS13 equivalent) pay in two years? Do I really see myself working for the AF for the next 20 years? My 3+ years with the AF hasn't been terrible, but it also hasn't felt like a "career" like this does.

I understand my wife says she doesn’t mind coming with me sometimes and living out of a suit case with our new born.

I’ll need to get a new car since the 08 I have won’t last one bit... this is a great opportunity. Did they say what area you would be covering?

Salt Lake City, so mostly northern Utah and southern Idaho.

I think mine is more spread out South Carolina so I assume I cover the whole state and the around states.

Who knows.. I’ll be coming in at the 7 but I hope they match my pay I told them I was making more in my current position and she said she would note that.. a week later they schedule me for my interview.

Also I think it would be okay if they match it. But I only have a bachelors with another language proficiency in Spanish and CSP VET.
guruebby  
#43 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2019 5:49:58 PM(UTC)
guruebby

Man
United States

The pay band thing gives them some flexibility to match pay. GS and some other systems aren't nearly as flexible unless your coming from another federal position.
USMC03  
#44 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2019 6:28:44 PM(UTC)
USMC03

The pay band thing gives them some flexibility to match pay. GS and some other systems aren't nearly as flexible unless your coming from another federal position.

Never worked as a fed

Also do you get Fed creds with this job? I also applied for other Fed jobs and I’m waiting to interview since I been referred. Two jobs with the DEA and one with ICE
guruebby  
#45 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2019 9:49:22 PM(UTC)
guruebby

Man
United States

Never worked as a fed

Also do you get Fed creds with this job? I also applied for other Fed jobs and I’m waiting to interview since I been referred. Two jobs with the DEA and one with ICE

What kind of credentials are you talking about?
USMC03  
#46 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2019 3:15:22 AM(UTC)
USMC03

Never worked as a fed

I found the answer to that did you figure out if you’re taking the job ?
guruebby  
#47 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2019 5:11:02 AM(UTC)
guruebby

Man
United States

Never worked as a fed

I accepted the tentative offer last night so I can get started on the background check process. I'll likely end up taking the job, but if where I'm working now can find a job for me that pays more, I might decide to stick around. Plenty of time before the anticipated start date.
USMC03  
#48 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2019 5:40:34 AM(UTC)
USMC03

Never worked as a fed

I accepted the tentative offer last night so I can get started on the background check process. I'll likely end up taking the job, but if where I'm working now can find a job for me that pays more, I might decide to stick around. Plenty of time before the anticipated start date.

How was the interview any suggestions?
guruebby  
#49 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2019 5:58:57 AM(UTC)
guruebby

Man
United States

It will be a panel interview with alternating questioners. Just answer the questions asked and try to shift your gaze from each person, though they will probably have their heads down taking notes for most if it. They give you time before answering, so gather your thoughts before rushing on without thinking about it.

Make sure you answer the question asked! You can be telling a great story, but if you don't relate it back to how it answers the question, you kind of defeated the purpose.

I can't remember the specific questions, and they might be different for CU7, but they are out there if you Google. Expect a question about your accounting experience, as well as when you lead teams and projects. Use specific examples, and make it about you; it wasn't about what the team accomplished but what you did.
USMC03  
#50 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2019 6:12:26 AM(UTC)
USMC03

It will be a panel interview with alternating questioners. Just answer the questions asked and try to shift your gaze from each person, though they will probably have their heads down taking notes for most if it. They give you time before answering, so gather your thoughts before rushing on without thinking about it.

Make sure you answer the question asked! You can be telling a great story, but if you don't relate it back to how it answers the question, you kind of defeated the purpose.

I can't remember the specific questions, and they might be different for CU7, but they are out there if you Google. Expect a question about your accounting experience, as well as when you lead teams and projects. Use specific examples, and make it about you; it wasn't about what the team accomplished but what you did.

Ah okay should be good to go. So every federal employee salary can be looked at... I was doing some research on Google and typed in NCUA employees. Then I looked at their title credit union examiner... the. I went to 2017 because that’s the last year that shows

I looked at multiple people then I found one dude that was hired back in 2015 so by 2017 that person had already been promoted to CU11 with base salary of
$63k but his total take home pay after all they get including per diem was $87k!!!! That’s crazy!

I assume if you get hired at CU9 then after all you probably bring home $75k at the CU9 level
guruebby  
#51 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2019 6:27:23 AM(UTC)
guruebby

Man
United States

Ah okay should be good to go. So every federal employee salary can be looked at... I was doing some research on Google and typed in NCUA employees. Then I looked at their title credit union examiner... the. I went to 2017 because that’s the last year that shows

I looked at multiple people then I found one dude that was hired back in 2015 so by 2017 that person had already been promoted to CU11 with base salary of
$63k but his total take home pay after all they get including per diem was $87k!!!! That’s crazy!

I assume if you get hired at CU9 then after all you probably bring home $75k at the CU9 level

I'm estimating that with per diem and the insurance rebates that my take home pay will go up at least $5k in the first year, at least from where I'm at with the AF right now. In two years, not factoring in two annual COLA and pay raises, I'll be over $80k, and the pay band for CU-12 goes up to $120k or so depending on your locality. I don't plan on leaving Utah anytime soon - we just bought a house two weeks ago - but I'm not going to complain about money honestly. I didn't come to work for the feds for the money.
USMC03  
#52 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2019 6:35:59 AM(UTC)
USMC03

I'm estimating that with per diem and the insurance rebates that my take home pay will go up at least $5k in the first year, at least from where I'm at with the AF right now. In two years, not factoring in two annual COLA and pay raises, I'll be over $80k, and the pay band for CU-12 goes up to $120k or so depending on your locality. I don't plan on leaving Utah anytime soon - we just bought a house two weeks ago - but I'm not going to complain about money honestly. I didn't come to work for the feds for the money.

The money is there everyone that I found is making more than $110k after 5 years at the CU12

Are those promotions automatically? 7 then 9 then 11 then 12? Hell I be happy with to bring 55k but the more the marrier.. how does the rebates work??
guruebby  
#53 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2019 7:45:48 AM(UTC)
guruebby

Man
United States

Promotion up to CU-11 is "automatic" assuming you are doing your job correctly. You have to pass an exam and a panel interview to get CU-12, though from my understanding you don't have to pass the exam if you don't want to be a CU-12. But I also don't know how long they would allow you to stick around at the 11 level if you refused to attempt at the 12.

The insurance "rebate" is just a way for them to pay for more of the insurance. They give you $60 per paycheck for health insurance, $25 for dental and $15 for vision. I believe if your premium is less than those numbers, they just pay up to the premium I am unsure.

USMC03  
#54 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2019 7:49:19 AM(UTC)
USMC03

Promotion up to CU-11 is "automatic" assuming you are doing your job correctly. You have to pass an exam and a panel interview to get CU-12, though from my understanding you don't have to pass the exam if you don't want to be a CU-12. But I also don't know how long they would allow you to stick around at the 11 level if you refused to attempt at the 12.

The insurance "rebate" is just a way for them to pay for more of the insurance. They give you $60 per paycheck for health insurance, $25 for dental and $15 for vision. I believe if your premium is less than those numbers, they just pay up to the premium I am unsure.

I normally just use the VA but that would be good honestly. If I can have another insurance policy good to go.

I think I got called for interview bc I’m a VET. How does the OJT work ? We’re you told??? I was told that every 2 months you go to VA for two weeks straight what do you do the remaining 6 weeks? Shadow an OJT? follow them like a puppy wherever they go?
guruebby  
#55 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2019 7:53:41 AM(UTC)
guruebby

Man
United States

I normally just use the VA but that would be good honestly. If I can have another insurance policy good to go.

I think I got called for interview bc I’m a VET. How does the OJT work ? We’re you told??? I was told that every 2 months you go to VA for two weeks straight what do you do the remaining 6 weeks? Shadow an OJT? follow them like a puppy wherever they go?

I have not been provided a training plan. I assume I'll receive one once I accept a formal offer after my background check is completed.
USMC03  
#56 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2019 7:57:31 AM(UTC)
USMC03

I have not been provided a training plan. I assume I'll receive one once I accept a formal offer after my background check is completed.

I was also told about the “requirement” of speaking with my boss and they wanted to make sure I was okay with them talking to my boss. Did they tell you anything about that?
guruebby  
#57 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2019 8:04:06 AM(UTC)
guruebby

Man
United States

Like a reference check? Those are required for most, if not all, new jobs.
USMC03  
#58 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2019 8:33:10 AM(UTC)
USMC03

Would they talk to my boss??? Or just HR
guruebby  
#59 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2019 10:28:08 AM(UTC)
guruebby

Man
United States

Would they talk to my boss??? Or just HR

I gave them three supervisors, including my current one. They talked to my current one and at least one of the others. I don't know what they ask them, but there are certain restrictions to what can be asked.
navytech  
#60 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2019 3:33:12 PM(UTC)
navytech

United States

I was offered the job today at the CU-9 level. They gave me a total compensation estimate that accounts for even the non-monetary "compensation" you receive every year. It was $15k higher than my current total compensation with the AF.

I've been kicking it around in my head all day, and the only negative I keep coming back to is the travel. Everything else is above and beyond what the DoD offers at this level. They pay a portion of health insurance every paycheck. They put extra money in a separate 401k for you beyond TSP. They give you a bonus (after your first year) based on how often you spend the night away from home each year. And if you are working within commuting distance, you get to be at home at night. If you aren't examining a credit union, you work from home. No worries of furloughs if a shutdown happens. Annual raises outside of the appropriations process that can sometimes not happen in the GS world.

You need to figure out what you need to know about the travel heading into the interview. If 100 nights is the breaking point, say so. But keep in mind that there are likely dozens of people behind you that will make the travel piece of it work and will take the job in a second. And if you are wary of the travel from the jump, they may simply choose to bypass you anyway.

It's really a personal decision. But your region is also different from mine and might have different requirements. I was told about half the travel was within daily commuting distance, while the other half would either be a long-ish drive or a flight somewhere. And once you become a senior examiner (after two years if you come in at CU-9), it seems you have a bit more say about your assignments.

Congrats. I was offered a CU-7 position in the Western Region today. Start date is the same OCT 27th. I am looking forward to the opportunity.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed