Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages«<23456>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
guruebby  
#61 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2019 4:29:04 PM(UTC)
guruebby

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 41 post(s)
Where are you going to be based? I'm sure we'll all be at the same training so I'm guessing we'll all get to meet.
Cwal897  
#62 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2019 4:47:09 PM(UTC)
Cwal897

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Congrats man! When was your interview? I’m interviewed for a position in the Eastern region in DC last week and I have not heard back as of yet! Has anyone in the eastern region been offered a position yet? For those of you who have offers do you start on Oct 27 in Arlington or locally in your area?
guruebby  
#63 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2019 5:05:16 PM(UTC)
guruebby

Man
United States

I was told that the 27th of October was the next "training class," so I assume they are flying us all to Virginia for the first block of training.
USMC03  
#64 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2019 6:30:29 PM(UTC)
USMC03

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: navytech Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: guruebby Go to Quoted Post
I was offered the job today at the CU-9 level. They gave me a total compensation estimate that accounts for even the non-monetary "compensation" you receive every year. It was $15k higher than my current total compensation with the AF.

I've been kicking it around in my head all day, and the only negative I keep coming back to is the travel. Everything else is above and beyond what the DoD offers at this level. They pay a portion of health insurance every paycheck. They put extra money in a separate 401k for you beyond TSP. They give you a bonus (after your first year) based on how often you spend the night away from home each year. And if you are working within commuting distance, you get to be at home at night. If you aren't examining a credit union, you work from home. No worries of furloughs if a shutdown happens. Annual raises outside of the appropriations process that can sometimes not happen in the GS world.

You need to figure out what you need to know about the travel heading into the interview. If 100 nights is the breaking point, say so. But keep in mind that there are likely dozens of people behind you that will make the travel piece of it work and will take the job in a second. And if you are wary of the travel from the jump, they may simply choose to bypass you anyway.

It's really a personal decision. But your region is also different from mine and might have different requirements. I was told about half the travel was within daily commuting distance, while the other half would either be a long-ish drive or a flight somewhere. And once you become a senior examiner (after two years if you come in at CU-9), it seems you have a bit more say about your assignments.

Congrats. I was offered a CU-7 position in the Western Region today. Start date is the same OCT 27th. I am looking forward to the opportunity.

Congrats where do you have to go or how far out ?
USMC03  
#65 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2019 6:32:13 PM(UTC)
USMC03

I have my interview next week for the southern region. I highly doubt that I will be in that oct 27 class.. there’s no way the turn around time is that quick.
guruebby  
#66 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2019 6:54:33 PM(UTC)
guruebby

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: USMC03 Go to Quoted Post
I have my interview next week for the southern region. I highly doubt that I will be in that oct 27 class.. there’s no way the turn around time is that quick.

I think they're going to try and get as many people in that class as possible. They can move pretty quick when they want to. I was offered the job a week after I interviewed, and the background shouldn't take that long as long as you can get in for fingerprinting.
navytech  
#67 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2019 8:07:00 PM(UTC)
navytech

United States

Where are you going to be based? I'm sure we'll all be at the same training so I'm guessing we'll all get to meet.

Thank you, I will be based out of the Phoenix area.
navytech  
#68 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2019 8:08:18 PM(UTC)
navytech

United States

Originally Posted by: Cwal897 Go to Quoted Post
Congrats man! When was your interview? I’m interviewed for a position in the Eastern region in DC last week and I have not heard back as of yet! Has anyone in the eastern region been offered a position yet? For those of you who have offers do you start on Oct 27 in Arlington or locally in your area?

Thank you, my interview was September 5th.
navytech  
#69 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2019 8:16:35 PM(UTC)
navytech

United States

I think they're going to try and get as many people in that class as possible. They can move pretty quick when they want to. I was offered the job a week after I interviewed, and the background shouldn't take that long as long as you can get in for fingerprinting.

Same here, I interviewed last Thursday Sept. 5th and was offered 7 days later exactly. I don't know if that expectation can be applied to other regions or if that is just how the Senior Examiner in the Western Region did it. I was told I would be flying out to Arlington VA Oct 30th and training would begin in Arlington Oct 31st and last until Nov 8th. I was told there would be some on-boarding locally in the Western Region office Oct 28th. I live in the metro area so no travel is required for anything in Phoenix/Tempe.
guruebby  
#70 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2019 8:21:57 PM(UTC)
guruebby

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: navytech Go to Quoted Post

Same here, I interviewed last Thursday Sept. 5th and was offered 7 days later exactly. I don't know if that expectation can be applied to other regions or if that is just how the Senior Examiner in the Western Region did it. I was told I would be flying out to Arlington VA Oct 30th and training would begin in Arlington Oct 31st and last until Nov 8th. I was told there would be some on-boarding locally in the Western Region office Oct 28th. I live in the metro area so no travel is required for anything in Phoenix/Tempe.

I was in Phoenix on the 4th for an interview. First interview at 8am. I wonder if I'll be back down that first week too.
USMC03  
#71 Posted : Friday, September 13, 2019 3:13:21 AM(UTC)
USMC03

Are you guys being told how the whole 40 mile radius work?? I saw the info they had on the job listing don’t quiet understand it
Cwal897  
#72 Posted : Friday, September 13, 2019 5:39:03 AM(UTC)
Cwal897

If you live 40 miles from the area you are hired for then you are fine! Anytime you travel more than 40 miles you will be eligible for hotel and per diem!

If you live more than 40 miles from your area what ever distance exceeds 40 is considered commuting and you are not paid for it at all!

Example if I live 100 miles from my area! The first 60 miles of any travel is not eligible for any travel benefits or per diem cause it’s considered your commute! So you wouldn’t be eligible until after you drive 60miles and then putting you within 40 miles!

Again if you live 40 miles from your hired area it does not apply!
guruebby  
#73 Posted : Friday, September 13, 2019 6:48:28 AM(UTC)
guruebby

Man
United States

If you live 40 miles from the area you are hired for then you are fine! Anytime you travel more than 40 miles you will be eligible for hotel and per diem!

If you live more than 40 miles from your area what ever distance exceeds 40 is considered commuting and you are not paid for it at all!

Example if I live 100 miles from my area! The first 60 miles of any travel is not eligible for any travel benefits or per diem cause it’s considered your commute! So you wouldn’t be eligible until after you drive 60miles and then putting you within 40 miles!

Yeah... I think they have it in place so people don't choose to live farther away from their "home base" to get the extra mileage every day. They pretty much draw a 40 mile circle around your "office" and only pay for commuting outside that area. I kind of view it as you have to be driving beyond what your normal commute to the "office" would he for it to be reimbursable, and over 90 minutes beyond that to get paid per diem and a hotel.
USMC03  
#74 Posted : Friday, September 13, 2019 7:32:27 AM(UTC)
USMC03

So let’s say I live 38 miles and I’m in the circle ⭕️ .

If I drive to credit unions within the circle I’m not getting paid? I only get paid if I’m outside the circle?
What if my credit unions are inside my 40 miles radius? So basically you only get paid if you drive outside the circle per diem and hotel anything inside the area you don’t.
Cwal897  
#75 Posted : Friday, September 13, 2019 8:05:19 AM(UTC)
Cwal897

You going get paid your salary no matter what! We are only speaking of travel pay which is hotel, per diem, and mileage if driving!
USMC03  
#76 Posted : Friday, September 13, 2019 8:12:54 AM(UTC)
USMC03

You going get paid your salary no matter what! We are only speaking of travel pay which is hotel, per diem, and mileage if driving!

That’s what I was saying I thought you get paid mileage if you commute back and forth to credit unions assigned within the 40 mile radius not outside.
Cwal897  
#77 Posted : Friday, September 13, 2019 8:40:51 AM(UTC)
Cwal897

Opposite, within 40 is your normal commute! Maybe you should write all these questions down and just ask at interview you don’t want do all this stressing and not even offered the job yet!
USMC03  
#78 Posted : Friday, September 13, 2019 8:47:51 AM(UTC)
USMC03

Opposite, within 40 is your normal commute! Maybe you should write all these questions down and just ask at interview you don’t want do all this stressing and not even offered the job yet!

I will just thought maybe you guys would have an idea I don’t wanna go in there sounding stupid.

My questions are

How Often do we examine credit unions a month?
How long are the audits?
What’s many hours are we given to complete them?
Whats the area covered?
Do we get to schedule the audits ourselves or are being told when/where.
I was told 100 nights out of the year we will be away from home what are we doing the remaining 265 nights? Are we working from home? Auditing? Prepping? Case research?
Do you get to come home every night?

Feel free to add

Edited by user Friday, September 13, 2019 8:49:10 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

TheRealOrange  
#79 Posted : Friday, September 13, 2019 9:15:21 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 165 time(s) in 144 post(s)
I will just thought maybe you guys would have an idea I don’t wanna go in there sounding stupid.

My questions are

How Often do we examine credit unions a month?
How long are the audits?
What’s many hours are we given to complete them?
Whats the area covered?
Do we get to schedule the audits ourselves or are being told when/where.
I was told 100 nights out of the year we will be away from home what are we doing the remaining 265 nights? Are we working from home? Auditing? Prepping? Case research?
Do you get to come home every night?

Feel free to add

I don't think anyone here will be able to answer your questions with any certainty. That said, here's my shot:

Q. How Often do we examine credit unions a month?
A. That likely varies from month to month, but conducting examinations is the job, so examination-related work should be the vast majority of your time.

Q. How long are the audits?
A. The time it takes to conduct an examination varies depending on the size and complexity of the institution involved.

Q. What’s many hours are we given to complete them?
A. The time it takes to conduct an examination varies depending on the size and complexity of the institution involved, but the agency will likely have targets for exam hours. Only someone who has worked at the NCUA can probably answer this.

Q. Whats the area covered?
A. That will likely depend on the region in which an examiner works.

Q. Do we get to schedule the audits ourselves or are being told when/where.
A. I have never heard of entry-level examiners setting their own exam schedules. Generally, they work as part of a team and, from what I have seen, the supervisors set the exam schedules.

Q. I was told 100 nights out of the year we will be away from home what are we doing the remaining 265 nights? Are we working from home? Auditing? Prepping? Case research? Do you get to come home every night?
A. Well, technically that should apply only to work/travel days, of which there are only about 260 during work year. The 100 days would be in travel status and other 160 days would be any number of other things, e.g., teleworking, office work, leave, training, etc.
thanks 1 user thanked TheRealOrange for this useful post.
USMC03 on 9/13/2019(UTC)
guruebby  
#80 Posted : Friday, September 13, 2019 10:29:54 AM(UTC)
guruebby

Man
United States

I'd say if you want to have an eye opening experience (I know it was for me), go to the NCUA site and use the "find a credit union" tool to look at how many credit unions are out there, especially in your area. It's pretty amazing.

But like others have said, don't plan on having control over the examination schedule for a couple of years. I'm sure a lot of it is based on seniority.
thanks 1 user thanked guruebby for this useful post.
USMC03 on 9/13/2019(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed