Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages«<3456>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
USMC03  
#81 Posted : Friday, September 13, 2019 11:58:37 AM(UTC)
USMC03

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: TheRealOrange Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: USMC03 Go to Quoted Post
I will just thought maybe you guys would have an idea I don’t wanna go in there sounding stupid.

My questions are

How Often do we examine credit unions a month?
How long are the audits?
What’s many hours are we given to complete them?
Whats the area covered?
Do we get to schedule the audits ourselves or are being told when/where.
I was told 100 nights out of the year we will be away from home what are we doing the remaining 265 nights? Are we working from home? Auditing? Prepping? Case research?
Do you get to come home every night?

Feel free to add

I don't think anyone here will be able to answer your questions with any certainty. That said, here's my shot:

Q. How Often do we examine credit unions a month?
A. That likely varies from month to month, but conducting examinations is the job, so examination-related work should be the vast majority of your time.

Q. How long are the audits?
A. The time it takes to conduct an examination varies depending on the size and complexity of the institution involved.

Q. What’s many hours are we given to complete them?
A. The time it takes to conduct an examination varies depending on the size and complexity of the institution involved, but the agency will likely have targets for exam hours. Only someone who has worked at the NCUA can probably answer this.

Q. Whats the area covered?
A. That will likely depend on the region in which an examiner works.

Q. Do we get to schedule the audits ourselves or are being told when/where.
A. I have never heard of entry-level examiners setting their own exam schedules. Generally, they work as part of a team and, from what I have seen, the supervisors set the exam schedules.

Q. I was told 100 nights out of the year we will be away from home what are we doing the remaining 265 nights? Are we working from home? Auditing? Prepping? Case research? Do you get to come home every night?
A. Well, technically that should apply only to work/travel days, of which there are only about 260 during work year. The 100 days would be in travel status and other 160 days would be any number of other things, e.g., teleworking, office work, leave, training, etc.

Well that answers it! 160 days working from home? That would be awesome but I doubt it

USMC03  
#82 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2019 11:27:54 AM(UTC)
USMC03

I was offered the position

I am no longer in the run

Good luck to you all I have turned it down..
navytech  
#83 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2019 3:17:25 PM(UTC)
navytech

United States

I noticed a new batch of postings as of 9/20 on USA Jobs for Credit Union Examiners in multiple regions.
Reg1311  
#84 Posted : Wednesday, October 23, 2019 11:22:52 AM(UTC)
Reg1311

United States

I have a few questions about working at the NCUA? Is any current employee willing to chat? PM me.

Edited by user Wednesday, October 23, 2019 11:56:34 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

USMC03  
#85 Posted : Wednesday, October 23, 2019 11:30:10 AM(UTC)
USMC03

Originally Posted by: Ms.Smith Go to Quoted Post
I have a few questions about working at the NCUA? Is any current employee willing to chat over the phone? PM me and we can set up a date and time.

What questions do you have I did the interview and can probably answer it
Reg1311  
#86 Posted : Wednesday, October 23, 2019 11:35:56 AM(UTC)
Reg1311

United States

My questions are related to specific benefits and operating processes, not the interview.
teeeeej  
#87 Posted : Monday, November 4, 2019 7:54:23 PM(UTC)
teeeeej

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Originally Posted by: guruebby Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: USMC03 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: guruebby Go to Quoted Post
I interviewed for an NCUA examiner position back in 2013 and wasn't selected, but when it popped up again, I gave it a go. Spoke with the senior examiner yesterday to see if I was still interested, and we discussed the travel and all that. I'm wary that they will do a pay match for me, though my current pay with the Air Force is within the "band" for CU-9. I guess I'll make the decision if it's presented down the road, and they are flying me to Phoenix in a couple of weeks for an interview.

Seems to me that the travel has become specially onerous in the past coupple of years because they consolidated a lot of the regions. Whereas prior to 2018, the Western region (the one I'm interviewing for) went as far east as Utah, it now covers 22 states as far east as the Mississippi! From the sound of things, most travel is "local" - i.e., I would be expected to travel up to Boise or other places in Idaho for examinations, as well as Salt Lake and surrounding areas - but NCUA examiners don't have a "field office" to report to when they aren't in the credit unions doing the work. Also, the first 18 months appear to be a formal training program, and promotion to CU-12 seems pretty much guaranteed after two years if you pass the required exam and interview at that time.

I interviewed for the FDIC back in the day too, and bank/CU examining has always interested me (because I'm a terrible nerd sometimes), so we'll see what happens.

I got a call today to interview for the positions that that came open this year. We’ll see how it goes

Thank you for the feed back I applied at the SC one. I guess we shall see how much they cover

I interviewed on Wednesday in Phoenix and thought it went pretty well. I was the first interview of 8-10 planned over two days, and I took about 50 minutes to answer the five questions during the panel interview (they stated it should take about an hour). According to the hotel shuttle driver, the individual that followed me took about 25 minutes, so they were either really good at getting to the point in their answers (I tend to ramble) or they didn't have concrete examples for some of the questions.

I was told I should know in a couple of weeks, and I'm about 80% sure that I'd take the job if they offered. I would ask for a raise from my current pay to cover the travel piece of things; we'd likely have to get another car after being a single car family because of my short daily commute each day. But the benefits of working for the agency - a separate 401k in addition to TSP and a lot of working from home when not traveling - might be enough to convince me to leave the DoD.

Don't forget about the FEDVIP and FEHB subsidies! Were the interview questions behavioral type questions? I'm 99% sure the reason I got into IRS is because the interview was not those typical behavioral star questions, but rather job scenario questions. The CU examiner is a position I am targeting after I take the required classes....
KBanker  
#88 Posted : Monday, November 4, 2019 8:29:04 PM(UTC)
KBanker

United States

I interviewed in September in Dallas, Texas for the Southern Region and I haven't heard anything in regards to the position. Would anyone like to share their experience working with NCUA? How do you like the job?
guruebby  
#89 Posted : Monday, November 4, 2019 10:05:03 PM(UTC)
guruebby

Man
United States

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 41 post(s)
Originally Posted by: KBanker Go to Quoted Post
I interviewed in September in Dallas, Texas for the Southern Region and I haven't heard anything in regards to the position. Would anyone like to share their experience working with NCUA? How do you like the job?

One week in and it's already the best federal job I've ever had. We'll see if that changes once I'm out of training though...
KBanker  
#90 Posted : Tuesday, November 5, 2019 4:02:40 AM(UTC)
KBanker

United States

Awesome guruebaby! I'm happy for you. Thanks for replying.
Raal557  
#91 Posted : Wednesday, November 6, 2019 2:19:34 PM(UTC)
Raal557

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Ive worked at the ncua for going on six years. The first year or two can be rough learning everything, but once you become experienced the job comes more naturally and it gets alot better. It really is a great place to work and highly recommend it.
USMC03  
#92 Posted : Wednesday, November 6, 2019 2:23:53 PM(UTC)
USMC03

Originally Posted by: Raal557 Go to Quoted Post
Ive worked at the ncua for going on six years. The first year or two can be rough learning everything, but once you become experienced the job comes more naturally and it gets alot better. It really is a great place to work and highly recommend it.

I think this is a great job for someone single
With no family at home or kids hell even a pet
The amount of time you’re gone is ridiculous
And you’re expected to drive possibly 40 miles one way to your destination and back possibly 80 miles a day with out compensation as long as you’re inside
The circle....

It didn’t seem all cracked out to be on my interview
Raal557  
#93 Posted : Wednesday, November 6, 2019 2:33:48 PM(UTC)
Raal557

United States

Travel depends where you live. Some people travel very little in the agency whereas other travel more really depends on the area of the country. You get paid mileage for everywhere you drive (which adds up to alot) its just your not on the clock until 40 miles but you get mileage for every mile you drive.

Not sure what you mean by circle, you have to live within 40 miles of the city limits of your duty station, 40 miles is your "commute" time before your on the clock. So i guess if you live in an area with alot of traffic maybe thatd be bad but it takes me maybe 30-35 minutes to hit 40 miles driving and then im on the clock.
Reg1311  
#94 Posted : Wednesday, November 6, 2019 2:38:25 PM(UTC)
Reg1311

United States

Is there a report or document that lists the estimated annual travel percentage by location? The OCC has one posted publicly that list their office locations' overnight travel percentages.

Edited by user Wednesday, November 6, 2019 2:39:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

USMC03  
#95 Posted : Wednesday, November 6, 2019 2:44:54 PM(UTC)
USMC03

Originally Posted by: Reg1311 Go to Quoted Post
Is there a report or document that lists the estimated annual travel percentage by location? The OCC has one posted publicly that list their office locations' overnight travel percentages.

My home was 39 miles to my duty station now I was told that if I had an audit on the other side you still drive 39 miles to the duty station to the other side of town not being compensated because it is between the commute.. so I could potentially drive 39 miles to my duty station then another 30 making it 69 not on the clock... I would be in charge of GA SC and part of N.C.

The manager even said you might need to relocate to the center so your commute isn’t bad..

Raal557  
#96 Posted : Wednesday, November 6, 2019 2:45:31 PM(UTC)
Raal557

United States

Not really that im aware of. Part of it also depends on the person too. I like staying out so anything over 40 miles I generally just stay out of town rather than commute so im around 130 nights out a year. My coworker, lives in the same duty station i think is probably going to be at around 20-30 nights out.

There is a push to do more work remotely so thatll likely help reduce travel and there are a number of remote positions within the agency once you become a CU-12 (prinicipal examiner) that you can work towards also
Reg1311  
#97 Posted : Wednesday, November 6, 2019 2:48:39 PM(UTC)
Reg1311

United States

I understand the travel rules. I was looking for something a little similar to this:

https://careers.occ.gov/...-travel-percentages.html

Or here's a text of the info on the link:

Field Offices Percentage of Overnight Travel
Alexandria, Minn. 35% to 55%
Champaign, Ill. 20% to 40%
Chicago (Downers Grove), Ill. 30% to 50%
Cincinnati, Ohio 30% to 50%
Cleveland, Ohio 40% to 50%
Columbus, Ohio 30% to 50%
USMC03  
#98 Posted : Wednesday, November 6, 2019 2:49:14 PM(UTC)
USMC03

Originally Posted by: Reg1311 Go to Quoted Post

I meant to add is a 40 miles radius from the duty station which for me was still pretty far bc is 39 to the middle of the circle or radius then wherever they wanna send you could be on the other side sooo add the miles to that as long as your in the green zone there’s a picture on the ncua site you don’t get paid... anything outside of 40 you get paid... so everyday I would have to eat up those miles unless they sent me outside of my radius..

They told me I would be gone 10 months out of the year from home.. living out of suit case and take out

Unless I wanna wanted to commute back to the house which in my case would be nearly impossible

Reg1311  
#99 Posted : Wednesday, November 6, 2019 2:49:58 PM(UTC)
Reg1311

United States

Not really that im aware of. Part of it also depends on the person too. I like staying out so anything over 40 miles I generally just stay out of town rather than commute so im around 130 nights out a year. My coworker, lives in the same duty station i think is probably going to be at around 20-30 nights out.

There is a push to do more work remotely so thatll likely help reduce travel and there are a number of remote positions within the agency once you become a CU-12 (prinicipal examiner) that you can work towards also

Okay, thank you. I'm currently a regulator and was just curious how my travel would change.
USMC03  
#100 Posted : Wednesday, November 6, 2019 2:52:39 PM(UTC)
USMC03

I would of been like you but to be honest with a new born at home just wasn’t for me... the job is great for a single person. They told me that you don’t get paid mileage unless you stay out basically
Rss Feed  Atom Feed