Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
regjoe4544  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 6:10:13 AM(UTC)
regjoe4544

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Can someone tell me why HR keeps reposting the same job over and over again on USAJOBS? The job announcement closes but is back the next day with another week, but the the original open date is still there so they apparently keep expanding the announcement. Just trying to figure out if they are just not getting anyone to apply for it.
habu987  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 8:36:28 AM(UTC)
habu987

United States

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 21 post(s)
In my experience, I've seen job announcement reposts generally happen due to one or more of three issues:

1) The hiring official isn't happy with the quality of candidates that have applied and wants to get (hopefully) more qualified candidates to apply
2) There was an internal breakdown in communication somewhere and there are material errors with the job post that need to be corrected (position listed as telework eligible when it isn't, the wrong duty location(s) listed, etc)
3) HR done goofed

I've seen numerous positions get reposted several times with exceedingly minor changes, the worst of which was a position at Commerce several years ago, if memory serves. I believe it was originally posted as a 2 week announcement, then was reposted several days after it initially closed with a message saying it was being reposted due to an error in the initial posting. What was the error, you may ask...changing a typo of "eithre" in the original posting to "either" in the 2nd posting...
AnotherGuy  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 2:16:22 PM(UTC)
AnotherGuy

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: regjoe4544 Go to Quoted Post
Can someone tell me why HR keeps reposting the same job over and over again on USAJOBS? The job announcement closes but is back the next day with another week, but the the original open date is still there so they apparently keep expanding the announcement. Just trying to figure out if they are just not getting anyone to apply for it.

My center has received +450 applications for three positions, but only ended up making an offer to an applicant. They reposted the ad over and over again because they said the majority of the time it's always the same group of "qualified" applicants applying.
djp  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 4:12:30 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 116 time(s) in 114 post(s)
Originally Posted by: habu987 Go to Quoted Post
In my experience, I've seen job announcement reposts generally happen due to one or more of three issues:

1) The hiring official isn't happy with the quality of candidates that have applied and wants to get (hopefully) more qualified candidates to apply
2) There was an internal breakdown in communication somewhere and there are material errors with the job post that need to be corrected (position listed as telework eligible when it isn't, the wrong duty location(s) listed, etc)
3) HR done goofed

I've seen numerous positions get reposted several times with exceedingly minor changes, the worst of which was a position at Commerce several years ago, if memory serves. I believe it was originally posted as a 2 week announcement, then was reposted several days after it initially closed with a message saying it was being reposted due to an error in the initial posting. What was the error, you may ask...changing a typo of "eithre" in the original posting to "either" in the 2nd posting...

4, they have an internal hire in mind and want them to be the only candidate or best. In application someone applies who is better or has vet status.

GWPDA  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2019 6:08:00 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 476 time(s) in 396 post(s)
In my field, the same job has been posted three times - because for three times they literally cannot get any qualified applicants willing to take the job. It's overseas, it's underpaid and it's deployable. But that's what they've got.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed