Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
S D Analyst  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 3:02:09 PM(UTC)
SD Analyst

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 409 time(s) in 349 post(s)
I don't see how, unless you applied to a position open to the General Public for the 12, and had outside experience to qualify on it. I would love to hear more details. It has to be pretty rare.
JJ1  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 3:25:39 PM(UTC)
JJ1

United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
So I mean going from GS5 to GS7 to GS9 to
GS12 in 260 days. This will be my current path.

The 5-9 where all VRA appointments. The
GS12 will be a 30% vet appointment. I will be jumping the 11. I am just wondering if this is common. The moves have sucked!!
Polar Bear  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 3:37:33 PM(UTC)
Polar Bear

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I doubt it's common. congrats on the moves up.
djp  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 4:16:29 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 116 time(s) in 114 post(s)
Originally Posted by: PFOL Go to Quoted Post

GS12 will be a 30% vet appointment. I will be jumping the 11. I am just wondering if this is common. The moves have sucked!!

Is it possible...maybe. I don’t see it happening.

First you can’t go 9 to 12.

Under VRA appt you can get an 11 then a yr later get a 12.

JJ1  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 4:20:07 PM(UTC)
JJ1

United States

All of this has happened to me.I'm going from a 9 to a 12 on a 30% VA, that is not the same as a VRA. I am guessing I qualified based off of my Military write up.
FS0201  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 4:41:49 PM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 272 time(s) in 237 post(s)

Sounds like they were worth it.
The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
RVRGRL  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 11:00:48 PM(UTC)
RVRGRL

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 14 post(s)

I've done something similar, but I had applicable private sector experience at the GS11 equivalent level. Finally got hired as a fed at the GS9 level, went to a GS4 while I did my MS degree because I couldn't work full time, then GS11, then quickly to GS12 since it was open to the public. It happens, and can happen as long as everyone follows the rules. Not sure I understand why you're complaining? Or are you just wondering if it's legal?
Endless Summer  
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 11:53:03 PM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 135 post(s)
I was hired in at a 12, so I kind of went from 0 to 12 overnight.

I'm happy for you, best wishes
thanks 1 user thanked Endless Summer for this useful post.
BatDog123 on 3/15/2019(UTC)
birdonamission  
#9 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2019 7:07:49 AM(UTC)
birdonamission

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 43 post(s)
All of this has happened to me.I'm going from a 9 to a 12 on a 30% VA, that is not the same as a VRA. I am guessing I qualified based off of my Military write up.

I have the 30% or more Veterans preference thing. It comes into play during the application review process (still have to be qualified to do the job) and placement on the certificate of eligibles. I'm not sure it has anything to do at all with being able to skip an entire grade.
JJ1  
#10 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2019 7:10:36 AM(UTC)
JJ1

United States

Originally Posted by: Endless Summer Go to Quoted Post
I was hired in at a 12, so I kind of went from 0 to 12 overnight.

I'm happy for you, best wishes

That is the best way!
JJ1  
#11 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2019 7:15:36 AM(UTC)
JJ1

United States

Originally Posted by: RVRGRL Go to Quoted Post

I've done something similar, but I had applicable private sector experience at the GS11 equivalent level. Finally got hired as a fed at the GS9 level, went to a GS4 while I did my MS degree because I couldn't work full time, then GS11, then quickly to GS12 since it was open to the public. It happens, and can happen as long as everyone follows the rules. Not sure I understand why you're complaining? Or are you just wondering if it's legal?

Not complaining at all. I do wonder if it is legal. In DHS HR we have actually audited hires and decided that they were not done wrong and had to let the person go.

Edited by user Friday, March 15, 2019 7:21:26 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

JJ1  
#12 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2019 7:17:30 AM(UTC)
JJ1

United States

Originally Posted by: birdonamission Go to Quoted Post

I have the 30% or more Veterans preference thing. It comes into play during the application review process (still have to be qualified to do the job) and placement on the certificate of eligibles. I'm not sure it has anything to do at all with being able to skip an entire grade.

It does matter for skipping grades. VRA can only put you to a GS-11 max. 30% has no grade minimum.
birdonamission  
#13 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2019 8:52:28 AM(UTC)
birdonamission

It does matter for skipping grades. VRA can only put you to a GS-11 max. 30% has no grade minimum.

I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying. To be eligible for a GS-12 position, with merit promotion announcements open to current federal employees you have to have been been a GS-11 for a minimum of 52 weeks...or, with announcements open to the public (it sometimes says open to "U.S. Citizens") and for which Veterans preference applies, you have to have commeasurate specialized experience that, in theory, a GS-11 would have but instead gained through other (non-Federal) employment. Does any of this apply to your situation?

If I'm the one not understanding, please enlighten on how a GS-9 gets to skip GS-11 to get to GS-12 just becasue he or she has 30%+ Veterans preference. I'm always open to learning new things every day.
JJ1  
#14 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2019 9:10:27 AM(UTC)
JJ1

United States

I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying. To be eligible for a GS-12 position, with merit promotion announcements open to current federal employees you have to have been been a GS-11 for a minimum of 52 weeks...or, with announcements open to the public (it sometimes says open to "U.S. Citizens") and for which Veterans preference applies, you have to have commeasurate specialized experience that, in theory, a GS-11 would have but instead gained through other (non-Federal) employment. Does any of this apply to your situation?

If I'm the one not understanding, please enlighten on how a GS-9 gets to skip GS-11 to get to GS-12 just becasue he or she has 30%+ Veterans preference. I'm always open to learning new things every day.

So my announcement was not Open to Public.

Here is the Clarification from the agency on who can apply- "Current Federal employees with competitive status; Current and former Federal employees who meet the established criteria in an Office of Personnel Management Interchange Agreement; Current and former Federal employees with reinstatement eligibility; Individuals who are eligible under Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA); Individuals who are eligible under a noncompetitive special hiring authority"

I guessed since a VRA can only be an 11 and VEOA must have the lower grade TIG of an 11 to go to 12, that the 30% was allowing me to skip the 11 and go to 12. The 30% does not have any requirements for current GS employees, only that you qualify for the job based on past experience.

Do you think there is an issue/complication with the move from 9 to 12 hire? Any info would help!

birdonamission  
#15 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2019 9:32:56 AM(UTC)
birdonamission

So my announcement was not Open to Public.

Here is the Clarification from the agency on who can apply- "Current Federal employees with competitive status; Current and former Federal employees who meet the established criteria in an Office of Personnel Management Interchange Agreement; Current and former Federal employees with reinstatement eligibility; Individuals who are eligible under Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA); Individuals who are eligible under a noncompetitive special hiring authority"

I guessed since a VRA can only be an 11 and VEOA must have the lower grade TIG of an 11 to go to 12, that the 30% was allowing me to skip the 11 and go to 12. The 30% does not have any requirements for current GS employees, only that you qualify for the job based on past experience.

Do you think there is an issue/complication with the move from 9 to 12 hire? Any info would help!

The main things I see here is that since it's not an "Open to the Public" announcement, the default is that it's a Merit Promotion announcement, and where an issue/complication could arise is that for merit promotions, Time-in-Grade (TIG) most definitely applies (so needing to have been a GS-11 for at least 52 weeks is rquired) and, furthermore, Veterans preference DON'T apply.

To everyone: I don't know everything, obviously, and I may not be aware of an authority that allows a current GS-9 to skip GS-11 and go straight to a 12 under merit promotion rules. Please chime in if you have anthing on that.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed