Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Disability Retirement

The federal government allows employees who are unable to work to retire under a disability retirement. It is in the best interest of both employees and the federal government for employees to remain gainfully employed in their current grade or pay level, as long as they can provide useful and efficient service without endangering themselves, others or government property.
Disability retirement should be the very last option and should be used only when attempts have been made to preserve an individual's employment, and those attempts have failed.

Order our Disability Retirement guide to educate yourself on the rules and regulations concerning disability retirement for federal employees.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
catspaw  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2019 4:16:00 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Hi all, got my FEHB restored this week!! Thank you OPM

Was approved for a DR early January. My TCC ended late last year. Called OPM last week & my file still had not been assigned. However they told me they would expedite it. I had my doubts as I really needed my FEHB back. I got a very nice email from someone in OPM who said they were working on it. Called my health coverage every day to see if it was reinstated- it was this week.

SO thrilled to have my FEHB back. Did get one interim check so awaiting the rest of my money.

Many thanks to OPM for quickly restoring my benefits!
Frogger  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2019 4:42:56 PM(UTC)
Frogger

United States

Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 107 post(s)
That’s great, I need mine back.
catspaw  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2019 7:47:33 AM(UTC)

I hope you get it.

OMB policy should be to let everyone who has applied for a DR keep their federal medical at the employee rate & not pay for TCC until a determination is made on the DR. The person would have to meet the criteria: been a Fed for at least 5 years & have paid FEHB for 5 years- same as any retired person would to get medical in retirement. Too many of us lose our medical coverage when we apply for a DR when we need medical the most.

How about it OMB??????
GSBS  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2019 10:20:14 AM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 286 time(s) in 248 post(s)
Originally Posted by: catspaw Go to Quoted Post

OMB
OPM

Edited by user Thursday, April 11, 2019 2:50:41 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

catspaw  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2019 10:35:00 AM(UTC)

sorry about the error- it is OPM & not OMB.

So if the advantage of separating first is to get TCC, why not do that? Also don't you get medical for 6 months with LWOP? I realize OPM will probably not make a decision during that time period as mine took longer than that. But since we all have medical problems getting TCC was really important to me. What advantage is it to stay on the books if you are not working?
GSBS  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2019 1:06:00 PM(UTC)
GSBS

sorry about the error- it is OPM & not OMB.

So if the advantage of separating first is to get TCC, why not do that? Also don't you get medical for 6 months with LWOP? I realize OPM will probably not make a decision during that time period as mine took longer than that. But since we all have medical problems getting TCC was really important to me. What advantage is it to stay on the books if you are not working?

Most applicants seem to get up to a year of LWOP while their application is pending which affords them continuing FEHB as long as the co premiums are made (the #1 cause of FEHB outages). Some here get removed from service and have the option of electing TCC. I got AWOL and TCC was never offered, then my FEHB stopped. Two years later OPM wanted 24 months of payments for FEHB that had been terminated. If you didn't use this Insurance because it was not available you most certainly wouldn't want to pay the employee share of premiums either?
catspaw  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2019 1:48:15 PM(UTC)

Now I understand. So sorry to hear about that. I used TCC coverage all the time.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
GSBS on 4/5/2019(UTC)
GSBS  
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 11, 2019 2:48:51 PM(UTC)
GSBS

Now I understand. So sorry to hear about that. I used TCC coverage all the time.

Please let us know how the NFC/OPM promise of your TCC premiums to be returned went? Yes the only way to assure yourself of needed uninterrupted coverage while waiting for an OPM decision is to resign. We are aware of many who get that 365 day FEHB extension and LWOP, and others who lost coverage and were left with nothing & no opportunity to even convert. Since your post we have had a couple other applicants who obtained higher priced private coverage available on the open marketplace, also expecting full premium refunds, that isn't possible. There is something to be said in the way you went about what you did!
catspaw  
#9 Posted : Thursday, April 11, 2019 3:47:27 PM(UTC)

I just received a check in the mail yesterday for the entire amount of the TCC premium I paid. OPM paid me everything they owed me. I am thrilled that it all worked out after people here saying I would not get reimbursed for TCC. They did!
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
GSBS on 4/11/2019(UTC)
Frogger  
#10 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2019 3:11:08 PM(UTC)
Frogger

United States

That’s awesome. OPM back charged me for health insurance for the time I didn’t have it.
catspaw  
#11 Posted : Saturday, April 13, 2019 7:36:04 AM(UTC)

frogger what did OPM say about this when you called them? Did you get the premium amounts back? It doesn't seem fair to me but then the whole DR process is unfair as those of us know.

I guess I was just fortunate in my whole process but I did use a lawyer so took their advice & it worked out for me.
Frogger  
#12 Posted : Saturday, April 13, 2019 1:56:06 PM(UTC)
Frogger

United States

I called them and they sent a note, I have been emailing the guy who did my finalization, and he said he would work on it.
limpy1  
#13 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2019 7:48:26 AM(UTC)
limpy1

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I got a rock.
Seriously though I still have got nowhere. Now 6 months since approval. Can't wait to see what they are going to throw at me if they ever do respond back. Right now I have Medicare A&B only. Couldn't afford any of the other supplements and barely Plan B. Do they seriously expect those who's approval took years to pay FEHB for all that time they couldn't use it?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed