Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Endless Summer  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2019 5:41:05 AM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 148 time(s) in 130 post(s)
I was applying for a position, one of those that allows you to qualify based on experience or based solely on an advanced degree and in filling out the questionnaire I started wondering...

I've always heard that the applications are pre-screened based on the answers to the questionnaire. This particular position was asking about experience using some very specific software and knowledge of agency-specific programs, that nobody would ever have been exposed to unless they had worked in the field. These are not things taught in college.

So, I'm curious, How does a person with zero experience, but an advanced degree, get past the initial screening? If they honestly answer that they have no training or experience in the programs or policies?

Just curious, I'm applying based on experience.
spence  
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2019 10:53:56 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 29 post(s)
How do you know that any get past the initial screening? You can be basically qualified and that's it, no more, no further contact on the application.

Possibly, veterans preference or special hiring authorities could come into play depending on the grade level, and allow people who are only basically qualified to be considered.
Endless Summer  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2019 11:50:19 AM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Originally Posted by: spence Go to Quoted Post
How do you know that any get past the initial screening? You can be basically qualified and that's it, no more, no further contact on the application.

Possibly, veterans preference or special hiring authorities could come into play depending on the grade level, and allow people who are only basically qualified to be considered.

I'm just guessing... The postings are saying that you either need 52 weeks experience, or a degree. I am assuming they would not open the posting up to people without the detailed experience if that was their cutoff, but they seem to be saying that you need one or the other.

The job I recently applied for asked for experience with a particular database system that is unique to the military. 80% of the questions on the questionnaire dealt with this topic. I'm assuming that someone without any experience in the software could qualify if they had the degree.

What has me stumped is, if they answer the questionnaire honestly, how do they ever get considered for the position?
spence  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2019 12:32:36 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 29 post(s)
OPM has basic qualification standards for each job series that include education being substituted for experience up to certain grade levels, so I think that might be all that is. HR would still need to use those and then screen for who they actually want based on the questions and the resumes. For other, less specialized jobs, education actually does substitute for experience more, but for your specific case described, I think it's more of a formality because of OPM.

Edited by user Sunday, March 17, 2019 12:37:10 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Exit7A  
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2019 1:03:18 PM(UTC)
Exit7A

United States

Was thanked: 144 time(s) in 123 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Endless Summer Go to Quoted Post

I'm just guessing... The postings are saying that you either need 52 weeks experience, or a degree. I am assuming they would not open the posting up to people without the detailed experience if that was their cutoff, but they seem to be saying that you need one or the other.

The job I recently applied for asked for experience with a particular database system that is unique to the military. 80% of the questions on the questionnaire dealt with this topic. I'm assuming that someone without any experience in the software could qualify if they had the degree.

What has me stumped is, if they answer the questionnaire honestly, how do they ever get considered for the position?

Curious, what database system do you think is unique to the military?
That's all I got to say about that.
Endless Summer  
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2019 11:48:03 PM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Originally Posted by: Exit7A Go to Quoted Post
Curious, what database system do you think is unique to the military?

Maybe not database systems in the sense of Access, Oracle, etc. but database products themselves. iNFADS comes to mind as one example. Remember, I'm not an IT guy so I make up my own definitions...
frankgonzalez  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2019 3:17:05 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 924 time(s) in 729 post(s)
Remember...order of preference for the selecting officials is typically:
Experience+Education > Experience > Education

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
djp  
#8 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2019 10:29:11 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 110 time(s) in 108 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Endless Summer Go to Quoted Post

Entry level no experience
GS5 bachelors
GS7 bachelors with 3 gpa or higher
Gs 9 masters
Gs 11phd
Gs 12.. must have job experience

Rss Feed  Atom Feed