Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

57 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
federalgovtjobseeker  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2019 9:28:28 AM(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/8/2019(UTC)
Posts: 282
United States
Location: Somewhere

Thanks: 26 times
Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 72 post(s)
Hey Everyone,

I have applied to multiple positions here with the IRS this year, but the one position I am having trouble finding much information on is the TCO position (Tax Compliance Officer). Even in old threads, this position still seems very mysterious so I have a few questions for anyone with answers about this position. One, I know the job series stops at a 9 on the USAJOBS postings, so what is the next step after that? Are you suppose to use this job as a stepping stone into an RA or manager position or is there a GS11 position because I have never seen one posted? It seems like there is a Senior Tax Specialist job which could be the next step, but I have never seen one posted. Also, who is the manager who manages the TCO? What is their title normally? Lastly, what is the workload for the position? I know the RO for example has a caseload of 70 cases at a time once you are done with training pretty much with certain guidelines when to close a case, but that job involves field work. The TCO does not so does the TCO have more cases per week and a different schedule? Any information is valuable so please reply if you have any.

Thanks Everyone!

Edited by user Sunday, March 17, 2019 9:36:32 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked federalgovtjobseeker for this useful post.
SONshine on 7/8/2019(UTC)
spence  
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2019 11:27:28 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/3/2008(UTC)
Posts: 1,870

Thanks: 58 times
Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 35 post(s)
I've never been a TCO but have been in Exam at a lower level, so have a little bit of insight into this though I'm still fuzzy on a lot of the process and specifics. Others can address your questions more. I just wanted to start you off with at least some kind of answer.


TCOs work cases that need to audited that are theoretically:

- more complicated than the audits that can be conducted through the mail and phone on a few more basic issues, which are worked by Correspondence Exam Technicians (CETs) in the campuses. TCO cases more often involve scheduling audit meetings with taxpayers in the office to review information asked for and provided by the taxpayer, and explain the expenses and deductions that can be taken, although some TCOs don't work cases that require meeting with taxpayers.

- less complicated than the audits conducted by Revenue Agents. Revenue Agent cases involve going out and visit taxpayers at their place of business for an audit rather than simply meeting with the taxpayer at the office.


I believe when you apply to be TCO as a member of the public, there is an online simulation as a test to help rank people for the job, as there is for other jobs like Contact Rep, RO, and RA, and this can give you a good idea of what the job would entail.


TCOs can either work in one of the main campuses or in field offices. Especially in the campuses, they may also help do screening of W&I and SB/SE cases that are referred to Exam or flagged by the system -- to select those that should be worked by TCOs, rather than CETs, RAs, or not at all. This could include setting up cases and sending out initial contact letters for audits that will be done by CETs, in addition to their own audits. In the campuses, they may also help with tax law advice and tax law instruction for CETs.


TCOs have a heavy caseload and are expected to close a lot more cases than Revenue Agents, despite the antiquated and extremely glitchy (this can't be emphasized enough) program for generating reports that the IRS uses in Exam, and despite the steps and documentation that must be done with each audit. Some people who have been TCOs in this forum haven't liked it. Someone I know in person who was TCO in a field office had issues with the lack of following of the Internal Revenue Manual and lack of understanding of the information of the basic IRS data system called IDRS that they saw in the job. Exam doesn't seem to have high morale in general. However, when I was in Exam, what I observed of the TCOs was that they were highly competent and they did seem to have decent morale and camaraderie.


I don't know about the "title" of their managers or further promotion opportunities. For some people, TCO may be it, and they may go no further than GS-9. But that isn't to say you can't apply to be a Revenue Agent after that. If you have the required units of accounting education (24?), you can successfully apply to be hired as a Revenue Agent no matter what job you have in the IRS. This happens often. You just might have to start at a lower grade. Same with any other job that you would be able to apply to anyway, which now you can apply for both as an internal and external. There are headquarters and campus analyst jobs too that may have higher promotion potential, that you can see on USAJobs, that are typically open only to internals and not the public.

Edited by user Sunday, March 17, 2019 12:43:27 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked for this useful post.
federalgovtjobseeker on 3/17/2019(UTC), CareerChangeTime on 3/21/2019(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2019 1:02:02 PM(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/8/2019(UTC)
Posts: 282
United States
Location: Somewhere

Thanks: 26 times
Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 72 post(s)
Originally Posted by: spence Go to Quoted Post
I've never been a TCO but have been in Exam at a lower level, so have a little bit of insight into this though I'm still fuzzy on a lot of the process and specifics. Others can address your questions more. I just wanted to start you off with at least some kind of answer.


TCOs work cases that need to audited that are theoretically:

- more complicated than the audits that can be conducted through the mail and phone on a few more basic issues, which are worked by Correspondence Exam Technicians (CETs) in the campuses. TCO cases more often involve scheduling audit meetings with taxpayers in the office to review information asked for and provided by the taxpayer, and explain the expenses and deductions that can be taken, although some TCOs don't work cases that require meeting with taxpayers.

- less complicated than the audits conducted by Revenue Agents. Revenue Agent cases involve going out and visit taxpayers at their place of business for an audit rather than simply meeting with the taxpayer at the office.


I believe when you apply to be TCO as a member of the public, there is an online simulation as a test to help rank people for the job, as there is for other jobs like Contact Rep, RO, and RA, and this can give you a good idea of what the job would entail.


TCOs can either work in one of the main campuses or in field offices. Especially in the campuses, they may also help do screening of W&I and SB/SE cases that are referred to Exam or flagged by the system -- to select those that should be worked by TCOs, rather than CETs, RAs, or not at all. This could include setting up cases and sending out initial contact letters for audits that will be done by CETs, in addition to their own audits. In the campuses, they may also help with tax law advice and tax law instruction for CETs.


TCOs have a heavy caseload and are expected to close a lot more cases than Revenue Agents, despite the antiquated and extremely glitchy (this can't be emphasized enough) program for generating reports that the IRS uses in Exam, and despite the steps and documentation that must be done with each audit. Some people who have been TCOs in this forum haven't liked it. Someone I know in person who was TCO in a field office had issues with the lack of following of the Internal Revenue Manual and lack of understanding of the information of the basic IRS data system called IDRS that they saw in the job. Exam doesn't seem to have high morale in general. However, when I was in Exam, what I observed of the TCOs was that they were highly competent and they did seem to have decent morale and camaraderie.


I don't know about the "title" of their managers or further promotion opportunities. For some people, TCO may be it, and they may go no further than GS-9. But that isn't to say you can't apply to be a Revenue Agent after that. If you have the required units of accounting education (24?), you can successfully apply to be hired as a Revenue Agent no matter what job you have in the IRS. This happens often. You just might have to start at a lower grade. Same with any other job that you would be able to apply to anyway, which now you can apply for both as an internal and external. There are headquarters and campus analyst jobs too that may have higher promotion potential, that you can see on USAJobs, that are typically open only to internals and not the public.


Thank you for your reply. It seems like a good job from what you told me. Just depends on what somebody wants to do, but definitely a good way to get into the IRS!
Springbaby  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2019 3:14:03 PM(UTC)
Springbaby

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/16/2015(UTC)
Posts: 79
United States
Location: Northeast

Thanks: 4 times
Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Great question and topic! I applied for the Tco position and received an email today regarding my suitability for the role. I hope it is ok to post on this thread regarding the next steps. I will keep you all posted!!
thanks 1 user thanked Springbaby for this useful post.
CareerChangeTime on 3/21/2019(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2019 3:32:44 PM(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/8/2019(UTC)
Posts: 282
United States
Location: Somewhere

Thanks: 26 times
Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 72 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Springbaby Go to Quoted Post
Great question and topic! I applied for the Tco position and received an email today regarding my suitability for the role. I hope it is ok to post on this thread regarding the next steps. I will keep you all posted!!


Feel free to post about the job posting if you have anything to add about the process! I got an email about suitability too.

Springbaby  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2019 4:19:29 PM(UTC)
Springbaby

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/16/2015(UTC)
Posts: 79
United States
Location: Northeast

Thanks: 4 times
Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
😊 Will do!!!
federalgovtjobseeker  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 7:07:19 AM(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/8/2019(UTC)
Posts: 282
United States
Location: Somewhere

Thanks: 26 times
Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 72 post(s)
It now says qualifications under review for the TCO position, granted that doesn't mean too much. I had a qualifications under review for 4 months for a job recently with the IRS, but just wanted to update the forum in case anyone is interested.
thanks 1 user thanked federalgovtjobseeker for this useful post.
CareerChangeTime on 3/21/2019(UTC)
Springbaby  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 12:46:06 PM(UTC)
Springbaby

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/16/2015(UTC)
Posts: 79
United States
Location: Northeast

Thanks: 4 times
Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Mine also says qualifications under under review with a status of received.
Boboddy  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 2:42:40 PM(UTC)
Boboddy

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/21/2018(UTC)
Posts: 28
United States
Location: Maryland

Thanks: 6 times
Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Same statuses here; I got my "Application Received" email on 3/19 and "Quals Under Review" status on USAJobs. Applied for GS-5 and GS-7.

It'll be interesting going through this process as I accept a tentative offer for Revenue Officer. I'm entertaining it in case the RO job doesn't work out for me.
federalgovtjobseeker  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 3:23:49 PM(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/8/2019(UTC)
Posts: 282
United States
Location: Somewhere

Thanks: 26 times
Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 72 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Boboddy Go to Quoted Post
Same statuses here; I got my "Application Received" email on 3/19 and "Quals Under Review" status on USAJobs. Applied for GS-5 and GS-7.

It'll be interesting going through this process as I accept a tentative offer for Revenue Officer. I'm entertaining it in case the RO job doesn't work out for me.


Always good to have options!
cooljul  
#11 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2019 9:51:42 AM(UTC)
cooljul

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/31/2018(UTC)
Posts: 213

Thanks: 62 times
Was thanked: 102 time(s) in 64 post(s)
I applied for the TCO position too but really hoping for the RA.
cmunozcpa  
#12 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2019 2:42:43 PM(UTC)
cmunozcpa

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/4/2018(UTC)
Posts: 100
United States
Location: TX

Thanks: 23 times
Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Ditto.
“As you think, so shall you become.” -Bruce Lee
Govtservant  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2019 11:22:27 AM(UTC)
Govtservant

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/27/2014(UTC)
Posts: 21

Thanks: 3 times
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Did anyone get scheduling for assessment?
federalgovtjobseeker  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2019 12:00:02 PM(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/8/2019(UTC)
Posts: 282
United States
Location: Somewhere

Thanks: 26 times
Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 72 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Govtservant Go to Quoted Post
Did anyone get scheduling for assessment?


Is it just a status change or is it an email with a link for the basic accounting assessment or an email for the Self Assessment/ Job Simulation Assessment?
Springbaby  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2019 4:16:17 PM(UTC)
Springbaby

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/16/2015(UTC)
Posts: 79
United States
Location: Northeast

Thanks: 4 times
Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Hi. didn't get an email to take an assessment for the TCO position.
caligurl0222  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2019 7:13:20 PM(UTC)

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/6/2010(UTC)
Posts: 102

Thanks: 22 times
Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Govtservant Go to Quoted Post
Did anyone get scheduling for assessment?


Yes. Have to take assessment for Accounting Principles by April 1st 11:59 p.m. EST. It says the test is 60 minutes.
You have to take the assessment if you don't have the minimum accounting credits.
I believe in Laws of Attraction and I attract good things!
Govtservant  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, March 27, 2019 8:11:37 AM(UTC)
Govtservant

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/27/2014(UTC)
Posts: 21

Thanks: 3 times
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I received a email to take the assessment. But I saw scheduling for assessment on career connector before I saw the email.....do anyone know what the assessment consist of? I’m reading old post, some ppl said it’s like a couple of accounting questions on there , and some ppl say it’s doesnt have accounting questions.
federalgovtjobseeker  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, March 27, 2019 8:14:35 AM(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/8/2019(UTC)
Posts: 282
United States
Location: Somewhere

Thanks: 26 times
Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 72 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Govtservant Go to Quoted Post
I received a email to take the assessment. But I saw scheduling for assessment on career connector before I saw the email.....do anyone know what the assessment consist of? I’m reading old post, some ppl said it’s like a couple of accounting questions on there , and some ppl say it’s doesnt have accounting questions.


Depends what assessment it is. You either are taking the basic accounting assessment or the self assessment/job simulation. It should tell you which assessment it is. Also, if you didn't have the number of accounting credits they need, you will need to take the basic accounting assessment first.
Govtservant  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, March 27, 2019 3:55:56 PM(UTC)
Govtservant

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/27/2014(UTC)
Posts: 21

Thanks: 3 times
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
It says basic accounting assessment. I forgot to include my transcripts so I could of voided the assessment
federalgovtjobseeker  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, March 27, 2019 4:02:42 PM(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/8/2019(UTC)
Posts: 282
United States
Location: Somewhere

Thanks: 26 times
Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 72 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Govtservant Go to Quoted Post
It says basic accounting assessment. I forgot to include my transcripts so I could of voided the assessment


I wonder if they would void it if you showed them the transcripts or maybe it's too late? Glad to know the process is moving though. After that, the self assessment/job simulation will be given to candidates. Good luck!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest
57 Pages123>»
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.


This page was generated in 1.058 seconds.