Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

47 Pages«<454647
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
guruebby  
#921 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2019 1:21:55 PM(UTC)
guruebby

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Originally Posted by: teeeeej Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: federalgovtjobseeker Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Papoose79 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: cooljul Go to Quoted Post
Does it specify a dress code for the first day?

I would suggest business casual.

So polo shirt and khakis are fine?

There is no dress code per say but I would say to ask your manager, because they will contact you before you start. Certain positions could get away with more than others. Face to face jobs with taxpayers tend to want you to dress more on the lines of a polo shirt and khakis (business casual), but a job like a CSR can dress down even more. Always remember to ask the manager.

On your first day I’d say dress up for swearing in and pictures etc

Business casual will cover that because they really don't do pictures outside of your ID. But maybe things have changed in the last year.

It seems to me that they take your ID photo when they do the fingerprinting? i wonder if dress shorts are permitted. lol

Ask your manager is all I will say. There isn't really a dress code, but you are on your probationary period your first year so they can really fire you for almost anything in the first year so don't get on their bad side.

Does my probationary period start over? I have 7.5 months in another agency so far. I guess I would need to do the IRS's one year probation period, but you still have a couple years of federal service before you get moved from career conditional to career permanent right?

Yes, at least in my experience. I had 6 1/2 years with the Army, but I just recently changed back over to career permanent after three years with the Air Force.
teeeeej  
#922 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2019 1:24:23 PM(UTC)
teeeeej

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Originally Posted by: guruebby Go to Quoted Post

There is no dress code per say but I would say to ask your manager, because they will contact you before you start. Certain positions could get away with more than others. Face to face jobs with taxpayers tend to want you to dress more on the lines of a polo shirt and khakis (business casual), but a job like a CSR can dress down even more. Always remember to ask the manager.

Business casual will cover that because they really don't do pictures outside of your ID. But maybe things have changed in the last year.

It seems to me that they take your ID photo when they do the fingerprinting? i wonder if dress shorts are permitted. lol

Ask your manager is all I will say. There isn't really a dress code, but you are on your probationary period your first year so they can really fire you for almost anything in the first year so don't get on their bad side.

Does my probationary period start over? I have 7.5 months in another agency so far. I guess I would need to do the IRS's one year probation period, but you still have a couple years of federal service before you get moved from career conditional to career permanent right?

Yes, at least in my experience. I had 6 1/2 years with the Army, but I just recently changed back over to career permanent after three years with the Air Force.

Whaaat. 6.5 years didn't grandfather you into career permanent?
guruebby  
#923 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2019 1:29:58 PM(UTC)
guruebby

United States

Whaaat. 6.5 years didn't grandfather you into career permanent?

I had a 5+ year break, and I was hired under a Pathways program so it started the clock over. But not so much over that I qualified for student loan repayment or any other new hire incentives...
Papoose79  
#924 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2019 1:34:08 PM(UTC)
Papoose79

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)

You would actually have to be messing up bad to get fired! I mean really bad.

FYI just ask if your probationary period is restarted if you've already completed one elsewhere.

Again you would really have to mess up to be given the boot!
interestedcandidate  
#925 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2019 2:15:43 PM(UTC)
interestedcandidate

Got FO today, TO received about two weeks ago. But, also got interview invitation for TEGE; next week. Bird in hand better than two in bush, but ultimate goal is to be an RA. Do they frown or disallow moving to another position after FO is accepted?
Papoose79  
#926 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2019 2:34:19 PM(UTC)
Papoose79

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: interestedcandidate Go to Quoted Post
Got FO today, TO received about two weeks ago. But, also got interview invitation for TEGE; next week. Bird in hand better than two in bush, but ultimate goal is to be an RA. Do they frown or disallow moving to another position after FO is accepted?

I don't think they do. I've heard of someone leaving after the first few days of training.
financegirl1  
#927 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2019 2:39:08 PM(UTC)
financegirl1

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Just accepted FO. Got TO last week. I am excited to start :)
thanks 1 user thanked financegirl1 for this useful post.
jxin on 8/15/2019(UTC)
SONshine  
#928 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2019 4:20:42 PM(UTC)
SONshine

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Just received my FO for TCO. I will be turning it down. The RO pathway is the sweeter deal for me 8/19! Get this....my current employer gave me 1 year of leave as not to lose me completely. Of course, I'm SO looking forward to my new career with the feds. All the stressing over having to make the decision, and it worked out!
thanks 1 user thanked SONshine for this useful post.
spicygemini86 on 8/15/2019(UTC)
guruebby  
#929 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2019 4:23:27 PM(UTC)
guruebby

United States

Originally Posted by: SONshine Go to Quoted Post
Just received my FO for TCO. I will be turning it down. The RO pathway is the sweeter deal for me 8/19! Get this....my current employer gave me 1 year of leave as not to lose me completely. Of course, I'm SO looking forward to my new career with the feds. All the stressing over having to make the decision, and it worked out!

So they are paying you for a year to walk out the door? Or are they keeping you on the books for a year just in case the IRS doesn't work out?
jxin  
#930 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2019 5:43:55 PM(UTC)
jxin

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Wow! That's a great fall back plan if you ever decide you want to go back within the year.
SONshine  
#931 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2019 5:14:54 AM(UTC)
SONshine

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

So they are paying you for a year to walk out the door? Or are they keeping you on the books for a year just in case the IRS doesn't work out?

No, they aren't paying me (I wish LOL). I am still an employee but on leave. Believe it or not MANY companies have the same type of leave it's called government leave (NOT military leave) but its basically the same concept. If you are still with your employer you may want to look into it. Perhaps you can contact HR to find out if your organization offers it.
guruebby  
#932 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2019 5:23:33 AM(UTC)
guruebby

United States

No, they aren't paying me (I wish LOL). I am still an employee but on leave. Believe it or not MANY companies have the same type of leave it's called government leave (NOT military leave) but its basically the same concept. If you are still with your employer you may want to look into it. Perhaps you can contact HR to find out if your organization offers it.

If I leave for the IRS, I'll be leaving another government position, so no such luck for me. But that's okay. I suppose I could always come back if I really wanted to...

Edited by user Friday, August 16, 2019 5:24:08 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Papoose79  
#933 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2019 5:37:12 AM(UTC)
Papoose79

Woman
United States

If I leave for the IRS, I'll be leaving another government position, so no such luck for me. But that's okay. I suppose I could always come back if I really wanted to...

You and I both know it doesn't work that way on our end! Lol but of course they can always rehire you if your position is still open.

If I don't get a TO, I'll just chill in my current position till next year in December and then a spot will be available in my current office, especially since my manager is keen on keeping me. I'm just glad he's so flexible and cool because I know for a fact IRS is not as accommodating! Lol
guruebby  
#934 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2019 5:39:57 AM(UTC)
guruebby

United States

You and I both know it doesn't work that way on our end! Lol but of course they can always rehire you if your position is still open.

If I don't get a TO, I'll just chill in my current position till next year in December and then a spot will be available in my current office, especially since my manager is keen on keeping me. I'm just glad he's so flexible and cool because I know for a fact IRS is not as accommodating! Lol

They know I'm looking to leave, but even other interviews with the Air Force have been slow to come. I can afford to be patient for now though.

Papoose79  
#935 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2019 6:10:31 AM(UTC)
Papoose79

Woman
United States

They know I'm looking to leave, but even other interviews with the Air Force have been slow to come. I can afford to be patient for now though.

Well a GS9 Paralegal spot is coming open in my office next December and it goes up to a GS12, however I am maxed on the career ladder now. But honestly if he give me a few steps I wouldn't mind waiting till Dec 2020 of January 2021! For me it's more about the money because my resume is very versatile already! Lol

I've done legal, and social work. And even Collections so a specific field isn't as important. My only wish right now is that my office is not one you can transfer anywhere do to the type of work I do.
guruebby  
#936 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2019 6:19:38 AM(UTC)
guruebby

United States

Well a GS9 Paralegal spot is coming open in my office next December and it goes up to a GS12, however I am maxed on the career ladder now. But honestly if he give me a few steps I wouldn't mind waiting till Dec 2020 of January 2021! For me it's more about the money because my resume is very versatile already! Lol

I've done legal, and social work. And even Collections so a specific field isn't as important. My only wish right now is that my office is not one you can transfer anywhere do to the type of work I do.

The Air Force is huge, and the base I'm currently at is going to be growing over the next 10-15 years so there will be plenty of opportunity, but I'd much rather do something more in line with my degrees than what I'm doing now. The DoD tends to be super heavy with vets entering at the GS-12 level, so it's hard to compete sometimes with people that have been doing the job for 20+ years in uniform.
Papoose79  
#937 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2019 6:29:30 AM(UTC)
Papoose79

Woman
United States

The Air Force is huge, and the base I'm currently at is going to be growing over the next 10-15 years so there will be plenty of opportunity, but I'd much rather do something more in line with my degrees than what I'm doing now. The DoD tends to be super heavy with vets entering at the GS-12 level, so it's hard to compete sometimes with people that have been doing the job for 20+ years in uniform.

Speaking of Degrees yes AS-Paralegal Studies, BS- Criminal Justice, and then a Master in Public Administration; so yes I am going to use one of them either way! Lol I chose the BS in CJ because at the time I was working 40 plus hours at the DA's office thinking about Law school, and if course any Bachelor would do. That degree was pretty easy considering the line of work I did!

But you're definitely right about not being able to compete with the vets! Shoot in San Diego I couldn't get a Federal job anywhere! Lol

It's just the suspense of waiting is what's killing me now! Lol

Edited by user Friday, August 16, 2019 6:31:07 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

jxin  
#938 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2019 2:44:48 PM(UTC)
jxin

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I've been checking my email all day the last three days but no news for me. Has anyone tried asking their sponsor about training dates/locations?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed