Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

57 Pages«<54555657>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
guruebby  
#1101 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2019 11:54:40 AM(UTC)
guruebby

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 41 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Calitigress Go to Quoted Post
A good chunk of us are in the same boat regarding having TCO offers and a selected status for RA with no TO. I accepted the FO for TCO because I can't guarantee RA will come through at this point. It's messed up but I will leave after starting TCO to RA. It's not our fault that HR couldn't communicate better. They really needed to hire RA first before TCO. We have to do what's best for us. For those that will be in the same POD for both...yea that might be awkward.

Honestly, I'd stop being worried about how people are going to feel about you moving to another job right after getting hired. If that's what you're worried about, I wouldn't be. You're just a (mostly) anonymous new hire for a few months (if not longer) anyway, and they aren't going to miss you once you move on. It's likely that they've seen it personally happen dozens of times if they've been there any amount of time.
guruebby  
#1102 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2019 11:56:16 AM(UTC)
guruebby

United States

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 41 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jxin Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone know if I'd be able to use in advance my 4 hour sick leave of the first pay period during the second week after starting? I have a doctor's appointment scheduled in the middle of the morning. No way I can take that full day just in case, huh? Should I try to push back the appointment another week/change for a afternoon time? Email the contact on my welcome letter or sponsor?

Your supervisor would be the person to approve any advanced leave. If you know that person's name, reach out to them now, otherwise I'd just bring it up day one.
thanks 1 user thanked guruebby for this useful post.
jxin on 9/24/2019(UTC)
Calitigress  
#1103 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2019 12:47:07 PM(UTC)
Calitigress

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: guruebby Go to Quoted Post
A good chunk of us are in the same boat regarding having TCO offers and a selected status for RA with no TO. I accepted the FO for TCO because I can't guarantee RA will come through at this point. It's messed up but I will leave after starting TCO to RA. It's not our fault that HR couldn't communicate better. They really needed to hire RA first before TCO. We have to do what's best for us. For those that will be in the same POD for both...yea that might be awkward.

Honestly, I'd stop being worried about how people are going to feel about you moving to another job right after getting hired. If that's what you're worried about, I wouldn't be. You're just a (mostly) anonymous new hire for a few months (if not longer) anyway, and they aren't going to miss you once you move on. It's likely that they've seen it personally happen dozens of times if they've been there any amount of time.

I wasn't really worried myself, just more of a comment to the others without quoting them. I've been with the IRS for close to 12 years now, I'm used to it. Just rec'd my TO for RA as well :D.
socaltax  
#1104 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2019 1:02:51 PM(UTC)
socaltax

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: guruebby Go to Quoted Post

I wasn't really worried myself, just more of a comment to the others without quoting them. I've been with the IRS for close to 12 years now, I'm used to it. Just rec'd my TO for RA as well :D.

This is what I was originally trying to figure out. I don't know what the culture is at the IRS. Quitting one job a few weeks in so that I can take another job in that same POD, could be normal business that happens all the time or it could be considered an ahole move that gives you a bad name. From what you are saying it sounds like it is normal to do.
thanks 1 user thanked socaltax for this useful post.
Calitigress on 9/24/2019(UTC)
jxin  
#1105 Posted : Thursday, September 26, 2019 7:21:10 AM(UTC)
jxin

United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Anyone get their charge card yet? How long from approval to when you received it in the mail?

I applied a bit late and I'm worried I won't get it by Monday.
financegirl1  
#1106 Posted : Thursday, September 26, 2019 7:57:47 AM(UTC)
financegirl1

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Anyone get their charge card yet? How long from approval to when you received it in the mail?

I did the card application on 9/11 and received it 9/23
thanks 1 user thanked financegirl1 for this useful post.
jxin on 9/26/2019(UTC)
Calitigress  
#1107 Posted : Thursday, September 26, 2019 12:52:04 PM(UTC)
Calitigress

United States

I received a few emails from the Fresno TCO group manager today that included orientation/schedule info. He also mentioned the first classroom session would be in Fresno, but is not sure which site (there are 5-6 locations in Fresno). Just random info.
jxin  
#1108 Posted : Thursday, September 26, 2019 1:01:21 PM(UTC)
jxin

United States

I received a few emails from the Fresno TCO group manager today that included orientation/schedule info. He also mentioned the first classroom session would be in Fresno, but is not sure which site (there are 5-6 locations in Fresno). Just random info.

BAHHHHHH FRESNO. Thanks for sharing. Between Fresno and St. Louis I'm not sure what I like/dislike more 😂😭
Calitigress  
#1109 Posted : Thursday, September 26, 2019 6:17:51 PM(UTC)
Calitigress

United States

BAHHHHHH FRESNO. Thanks for sharing. Between Fresno and St. Louis I'm not sure what I like/dislike more 😂😭

I've never been to St. Louis, but I share the feeling about Fresno lol.
thanks 1 user thanked Calitigress for this useful post.
jxin on 9/26/2019(UTC)
teeeeej  
#1110 Posted : Thursday, September 26, 2019 6:41:06 PM(UTC)
teeeeej

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 29 post(s)

I applied the day that we received the info and I received my card 2 days ago.
thanks 1 user thanked teeeeej for this useful post.
jxin on 9/26/2019(UTC)
jxin  
#1111 Posted : Thursday, September 26, 2019 6:51:42 PM(UTC)
jxin

United States

Thanks for the charge card timelines you two. Based on your timelines I probably won't get mine in time, yikes. This is what I get for procrastinating until near the deadline they put, haha.
spicygemini86  
#1112 Posted : Friday, September 27, 2019 6:20:44 AM(UTC)
spicygemini86

United States

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Anyone from the SouthEast gotten a location for the first classroom training?
tinyfrog  
#1113 Posted : Saturday, September 28, 2019 5:36:03 AM(UTC)
tinyfrog

United States

Originally Posted by: spicygemini86 Go to Quoted Post
Anyone from the SouthEast gotten a location for the first classroom training?

I'm in the Northeast and my manager said we should get classroom locations after orientation. I've heard of Jacksonville and Philly being used before, would love for Andover MA to be my location but I'm not optimistic...
thanks 1 user thanked tinyfrog for this useful post.
spicygemini86 on 9/28/2019(UTC)
jxin  
#1114 Posted : Sunday, September 29, 2019 9:28:12 PM(UTC)
jxin

United States

Hope y'all have a good first day of work tomorrow! If any of you hear some more hints about where the classroom training will be, please share~
financegirl1  
#1115 Posted : Monday, September 30, 2019 7:01:56 AM(UTC)
financegirl1

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Hope y'all have a good first day of work tomorrow! If any of you hear some more hints about where the classroom training will be, please share~

Some of us are going to Kansas City, MO and others are going to Covington, KY
thanks 1 user thanked financegirl1 for this useful post.
TexSass on 9/30/2019(UTC)
tinyfrog  
#1116 Posted : Monday, September 30, 2019 8:27:32 AM(UTC)
tinyfrog

United States

We are all going to Kansas City
jxin  
#1117 Posted : Monday, September 30, 2019 3:10:45 PM(UTC)
jxin

United States

Ooo I hope so. So far my pod seems to haven't heard where but they said we'd be split up into groups of 20-25... And that likely locations include Fresno, Oakland, and some places in Missouri.
FoxxieFox  
#1118 Posted : Monday, September 30, 2019 4:16:29 PM(UTC)
FoxxieFox

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Here in Salt Lake City, we were told that TCO's in the western states might go to Oakland, CA. (Matching a previous post).

Edited by user Monday, September 30, 2019 4:40:29 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Typo

teeeeej  
#1119 Posted : Monday, September 30, 2019 5:07:23 PM(UTC)
teeeeej

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 29 post(s)
We were told Fresno.
Calitigress  
#1120 Posted : Monday, September 30, 2019 5:47:19 PM(UTC)
Calitigress

United States

Our territory manager was with us in place of our group manager today. She is in charge of the southern half of CA, HI, NM and AZ. 20-25 people would be in the first phase of classroom training in Fresno. I'm thinking those of you in other territories/areas are going to go to a location within your own. Oakland would fit for Northern CA. Did everyone else have PODs with no other TCOs? The 3 of us that started in Fresno today are the only ones. There used to be 20 at some point, but now one of the RAs from upstairs is our OJI. HA just lost their last person, and many other locations are down to zero. I felt *****ty when the manager figured out I'm most likely gone in 2 weeks to RA. She was making jokes about it though, so she's not holding it against me. Honestly, this job seems pretty sweet.

Edited by user Monday, September 30, 2019 5:47:58 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed