Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.



Federal Employees Benefits Q &A

Do you have questions about your federal employee CSRS or FERS pension/annuity or federal employee retirement planning? Concerns about your Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) account or what about federal employee pay and leave issues?

Ask your question here.

You must Register before posting to this forum.
The Q&A forum is moderated by Ed Zurndorfer -- an expert on federal employee benefits -- and a Certified Financial Planner, chartered life underwriter and chartered financial consultant in Maryland.

Zurndorfer is also the author of several federal employee benefits guides published by Federal Employees News Digest.

Your question will be put into a message queue and submitted for review. We cannot guarantee that all questions will be answered, however any answered questions will appear below, and some will also be featured in our daily Federal Daily e-newsletter (Subscribe here). Federal Soup users should not submit replies to the questions posted, as we leave the replies for the moderator only. Any replies to questions other than the moderator will be deleted.

Please do not submit employee benefits questions to the webmaster or the forum moderator.

Note: FederalSoup.com has attempted to compile information that is as accurate and current as possible for federal employees. Federal policies, laws, regulations, statistics and addresses continually change. Therefore, no warranties are made as to the accuracy or completeness of the information presented in this column. If additional clarification or information is needed, it is suggested that competent and professional assistance be sought. Mr. Zurndorfer does not moderate other forums on FederalSoup and will not reply to general FederalSoup inquiries submitted in this Q&A forum.

Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 10:45:34 AM(UTC)

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/29/2010(UTC)
Posts: 12

will my spouse still be eligible for my federal health, life and long term care insurance if I only elect partial instead of full survivor benefits for him when I retire.
Ed Zurndorfer  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2019 2:38:47 AM(UTC)
Ed Zurndorfer

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/10/2001(UTC)
Posts: 5,662

Was thanked: 149 time(s) in 139 post(s)
In the event you predecease your spouse and you are giving your spouse a partial (not full) survivor annuity, then your spouse will be able to retain the FEHB health insurance benefit. With respect to federal life insurance (FEGLI) benefits, you as the employee or the annuitant are the insured and assuming your spouse is your designated beneficiary, then upon your death your spouse would receive the FEGLI death proceeds no matter what type of survivor annuity you give your spouse. If your spouse is currently insured through the Federal Long Term Care Insurance Program(FLTCIP), then your spouse would keep that LTC insurance upon your death. If your spouse is not currently insured through the FLTCIP, then upon your death your spouse could apply for the FLTCIP at any time assuming your spouse is receiving either a full or partial survivor annuity.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

This page was generated in 0.107 seconds.