Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tfcheng  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2019 3:49:50 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Hi, my family and I were with GEHA for many years. My wife found a job last year and her health benefit looked pretty good and we decided to go with her last open season and had canceled GEHA. However, we just found out that she didn't elect prescription coverage so we need to pay drugs out of our own pockets. We normally don't see a lot of doctors, but I am still wondering if there is any option for us to fill this hole before next open season comes. Thank you!
upandup  
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 24, 2019 9:12:33 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 16 post(s)
I've never heard of an employer group insurance plan without prescription coverage. I have, however, seen plans with separate prescription cards and a separate administrator of the benefit. So the first thing I would do is verify with that HR office that there is not some prescription coverage you just don't know about.

Look through the SF 2809 for qualifying life events. https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/sf2809.pdf

If your wife loses her group insurance coverage, then you could change your enrollment to Self Plus One or Self and Family.
S D Analyst  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2019 2:15:31 PM(UTC)
SD Analyst

Was thanked: 417 time(s) in 356 post(s)
You do realize, I hope, that you must carry FEHB the last 5 years you work in order to have it in retirement, right? If you cancel it now, you have to work another 5 years carrying FEHB in order to keep it when you retire. I would never cancel FEHB. Let your spouse get her own coverage, if she wants, with her company. You keep FEHB as Self Only, then if you want, you can change it to Family coverage when you retire.

Edited by user Monday, March 25, 2019 2:16:27 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

upandup  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2019 3:41:18 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Originally Posted by: S D Analyst Go to Quoted Post
You do realize, I hope, that you must carry FEHB the last 5 years you work in order to have it in retirement, right? If you cancel it now, you have to work another 5 years carrying FEHB in order to keep it when you retire. I would never cancel FEHB. Let your spouse get her own coverage, if she wants, with her company. You keep FEHB as Self Only, then if you want, you can change it to Family coverage when you retire.

Excellent point--dropping down to self only on the cheapest plan is one option to keep the FEHB coverage alive.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed