Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mariali19  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2019 4:34:29 AM(UTC)
mariali19

Groups: Registered
United States

About 2 years ago I started working in a specific job series (no previous exp) but recently I applied, found eligible, referred, and interviewed for a position in the field I have previous experience in. The same day they called saying they wanted to move forward. The interviewing agency discovered how low my current GS-level is in comparison to the new one (GS-7 to GS-11). The lady who facilitating the interview setup (HR) said she doesn't know if it is possible and I may have to resign for a day and then accept the offer when it comes. Anyone heard of this? It was a federal position open to the public
spence  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 23, 2019 5:14:30 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 29 post(s)
If it was an announcement open to the public as in All US Citizens, which seems to be the case, and not just those with competitive status, time-in-grade restriction shouldn't be a problem. Even if you have to resign for a day, which I don't think you do, that wouldn't be a big deal.

Endless Summer  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 24, 2019 3:34:33 AM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 148 time(s) in 130 post(s)
Originally Posted by: spence Go to Quoted Post
If it was an announcement open to the public as in All US Citizens, which seems to be the case, and not just those with competitive status, time-in-grade restriction shouldn't be a problem. Even if you have to resign for a day, which I don't think you do, that wouldn't be a big deal.

There should be no reason for you to resign. If this was a promotion within the same agency that might be the case. Resigning creates a break in service that messes up the computation of your benefits, etc.

Do not resign, I don't think the HR person knows what they're talking about.
thanks 1 user thanked Endless Summer for this useful post.
mariali19 on 3/25/2019(UTC)
DroneBee  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 24, 2019 5:52:57 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 93 post(s)
HR (as usual) doesn't know what they are talking about. Going to a different series is not the same as staying within a series - going from one series to another doesn't require a lateral. Don't resign - ask for more help.
djp  
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 24, 2019 6:32:48 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 110 time(s) in 108 post(s)
You can go from 7 to 11 without resigning if the 11 was open to public and you were qualified based on work done outside of the feds.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
mariali19 on 3/25/2019(UTC)
mariali19  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2019 6:19:38 AM(UTC)
mariali19

United States

Originally Posted by: Endless Summer Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: spence Go to Quoted Post

There should be no reason for you to resign. If this was a promotion within the same agency that might be the case. Resigning creates a break in service that messes up the computation of your benefits, etc.

Do not resign, I don't think the HR person knows what they're talking about.

Thanks, this is exactly what I was thinking that if I resigned it would affect my benefits.

mariali19  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2019 6:21:37 AM(UTC)
mariali19

United States

Originally Posted by: djp Go to Quoted Post
You can go from 7 to 11 without resigning if the 11 was open to public and you were qualified based on work done outside of the feds.

Thank you, I qualified with my non fed positions. I will see where this goes.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed