Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ertien  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 08, 2019 11:12:33 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I will keep this pretty focused, but please let me know if any additional information would help.

I am currently a permanent Excepted Service employee. I am considering taking a 5-year-term-limited Competitive Service job that is at the same grade and full performance level as my current position. Both my current job and the one I'm considering are with DOD and require TS/SCI (I mention this in case it's relevant to risk/future prospects).

Can anyone help me gauge the risk I'd be taking in moving from permanent to term?

Does the fact that the term is 5 years make any difference?

Would I be gaining anything by becoming Competitive Service here, even if it's a term job, or would I be strictly giving up my permanent status for no status benefit?

Thank you for any replies.
Tic3  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 09, 2019 4:01:04 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 64 time(s) in 46 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ertien Go to Quoted Post
I will keep this pretty focused, but please let me know if any additional information would help.

I am currently a permanent Excepted Service employee. I am considering taking a 5-year-term-limited Competitive Service job that is at the same grade and full performance level as my current position. Both my current job and the one I'm considering are with DOD and require TS/SCI (I mention this in case it's relevant to risk/future prospects).

Can anyone help me gauge the risk I'd be taking in moving from permanent to term?

Does the fact that the term is 5 years make any difference?

Would I be gaining anything by becoming Competitive Service here, even if it's a term job, or would I be strictly giving up my permanent status for no status benefit?

Thank you for any replies.

A TERM appointment is a temporary position, and although it's limited to 5-years, there is no guarantee that it will last the full 5-year term. If funding for the position runs out in six months, then your job ends. Are you prepared to be unemployed when this TERM position ends?

Personally, there's no way I would ever give up a permanent position for a temporary one.
DaVinci95  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 09, 2019 5:28:15 AM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 56 post(s)
I agree with Tic3 that you shouldn't leave a permanent position for a term position, even from an Excepted Service position. The term position would not give you career competitive status, it is not a promotion, and it is not a transition to a new career field. From the information you've provided, I don't see any benefit to the term position.
nembamike  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 09, 2019 6:21:36 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 204 time(s) in 183 post(s)
As already posted, never take a term position unless you are prepared to not have a job at the end of the term. If you are prepared go for it.
GWPDA  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 09, 2019 6:22:29 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 475 time(s) in 395 post(s)
Frequently misunderstood, a term position is not the same thing as a temporary position. A term position is contracted for a period greater than one year. That 'greater than one year period' then may be renewed annually according to the announcement - two, three even in DOD for as long as six consecutive renewals. If there is no work, the term position does not evaporate but rather exists until the conclusion of the term year. A term position conveys all employee benefits except 'status'.

With that out of the way, generally speaking one takes a term position if that position is paid significantly higher, or if it provides experiences otherwise unavailable or even if it's located somewhere desirable.

Going from Excepted service to Competitive service however, with comparable pay, you actually do encounter a risk - and it's not just because of the term nature of the employment. It's the going from Excepted to Competitive. As a new Competitive Service term employee you will have no real fallback if things don't work out. Even if you serve the full five year contract, you may not have any acceptable status to apply for non-term competitive positions (I say may, because I have seen and applied for Army jobs which allowed my term status to be used as 'current Army employment'.) Whether you could return to Excepted status jobs is unknown. That's the hole. I'd place the risk at over 65% that you could sideline your career by taking the DOD position.
ertien  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 09, 2019 12:27:49 PM(UTC)

Thank you for the replies. The clear consensus is that there is significant risk involved in this transition.

The reasons I am entertaining the move are that the new position would have me working closely with an OGC (I have a law degree and am interested in transitioning to legal work), and that the work would be more interesting than the options immediately around me. There could also be a $5,000-10,000 raise involved, but that is less of a motivator. My series would change from 0132 to 0301.
someoldguy  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 09, 2019 12:56:11 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 884 time(s) in 738 post(s)
Something that has not been mentioned so far (at least not based on the 30 seconds I just took to read the history) is the potential to be converted to permanent.

As I understand it, that possibility has to be mentioned in the job announcement, something like "this position can be noncompetitively converted to permanent status." Actually I think it was GWPDA who first pointed this out back when I was looking at term positions

One other tidbit: some places will advertise positions as "term" when they cannot secure the budget to make it a permanent position. Maybe they'd like to but they can't.
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
thanks 1 user thanked someoldguy for this useful post.
GWPDA on 4/9/2019(UTC)
birdonamission  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 09, 2019 1:25:41 PM(UTC)
birdonamission

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Don't forget Reductions in Force (RIFs)...

Per OPM:

"Determining Retention Standing-Tenure

Beginning with Group I, the agency ranks competitive service employees on a retention register in three groups according to their types of appointment:

Group I - Includes career employees who are not serving on probation. A new supervisor or manager who is serving a probationary period that is required on initial appointment to that type of position is not considered to be serving on probation if the employee previously completed a probationary period.

Group II - Includes career‑conditional employees, and career employees who are serving a probationary period because of a new appointment.

Group III - Includes employees serving under term and similar non‑status appointments.

Retention registers for excepted positions use similar tenure groups."

What Group one is in becomes very important in a RIF, e.g. "right to bump or retreat" process, etc.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed