Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

General Conversations

Within this forum, you can:

• share experiences as a federal employee
  • ask for some general help from fellow federal employees
  • offer helpful advice
  • make this world a better place (doesn't hurt to try)

Please keep in mind that this is not an opportunity to "step up on a soap box." Let's keep things clean, polite and useful. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
annabannannna  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 9, 2019 9:37:45 PM(UTC)
annabannannna

Groups: Registered

Haven't seen this topic lately so I'll ask again to see if policies have changed. In my section they give everyone an extra duty...my duty is the only one that requires on call. At first it was manageable, I get a call, and within 24 hours after the call I send an email. Ridiculous in this age of technology, but the CFRs are from the 70s and didn't forsee technology advancements. All described in IMs and CFRs. During normal work hours the detail involves more work, but this silly email is my on call task. Now they want to change it so I'm on call and stay in area....which is not described in IMs or CFRs. Under certain events they want me to visually verify the on-ground conditions the phone call described on the same day I receive the call. Yes this affects my free time....I typically do not stay in town during the weekend. And the kicker is according to historic data I'll only probably have to report to duty once a year, if even that often. A whole year of weekends trashed for maybe one day of pay. Basically I'm forced to be available for extremely little compensation. Can they change the on call status of my extra duty on call status on a whim, no IM or CFRs? Why is no one else in my section on call? How can they rationalize putting me on call and ruin my weekends, and then potentially pay me nothing because no events occurred requiring me to report to duty? We all have the exact same job descriptions.
Endless Summer  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2019 4:46:53 AM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 198 time(s) in 171 post(s)
Originally Posted by: annabannannna Go to Quoted Post
Haven't seen this topic lately so I'll ask again to see if policies have changed. In my section they give everyone an extra duty...my duty is the only one that requires on call. At first it was manageable, I get a call, and within 24 hours after the call I send an email. Ridiculous in this age of technology, but the CFRs are from the 70s and didn't forsee technology advancements. All described in IMs and CFRs. During normal work hours the detail involves more work, but this silly email is my on call task. Now they want to change it so I'm on call and stay in area....which is not described in IMs or CFRs. Under certain events they want me to visually verify the on-ground conditions the phone call described on the same day I receive the call. Yes this affects my free time....I typically do not stay in town during the weekend. And the kicker is according to historic data I'll only probably have to report to duty once a year, if even that often. A whole year of weekends trashed for maybe one day of pay. Basically I'm forced to be available for extremely little compensation. Can they change the on call status of my extra duty on call status on a whim, no IM or CFRs? Why is no one else in my section on call? How can they rationalize putting me on call and ruin my weekends, and then potentially pay me nothing because no events occurred requiring me to report to duty? We all have the exact same job descriptions.

I'd say you've got three basic options...
1. refuse the additional duty and let the chips fall where they may.
2. request that the requirement to verify the on-site conditions be rotated among your coworkers.
3. accept the additional duty and just go on with your life as normal. If the call comes when you are out of town, call someone who can go to the site for you, or not... Roll the dice.
DaVinci95  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2019 10:01:22 AM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 66 post(s)
The Dept. of Labor would say that the restrictions placed on you are not severe enough to prevent you from using your on-call time for your own personal purposes. https://www.dol.gov/whd/...2008_12_18_14NA_FLSA.htm

Did they address what happens when you are on leave? I agree with requesting that the on-call duties be rotated.
Freghie  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 30, 2019 12:04:36 AM(UTC)
Freghie

United States

Read here about your rights https://mosheslaw.com/laborandemployment/. I found a lot of new things that I didn't know before. I'm sure there is a way out.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed