Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Defense

The Department of Defense (DoD) is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the United States armed forces. The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.

The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest government agency -tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times. Today, the Department is not only in charge of the military, but it also employs a civilian force of thousands. With over 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and 718,000 civilian personnel, DoD is the nation's largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.

Perhaps you are working for the DoD or interested in working for the DoD. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DoD.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
seeasdf  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2019 7:22:23 AM(UTC)
seeasdf

Groups: Registered
United States

Recently transferred from SSA to DOD Army.

SSA released me on March 30, 2019 and my new DOD start date was March 31, 2019.

During DOD orientation, was told that start date being March 31st, the pay day will be on April 18th, because I am a transfer.

However, had a conversation w/ payroll today and I was told that at DOD, we have extra one week of waiting time until pay comes into our bank accounts.
So we work two weeks, and rather than getting paid on the following Friday, here at DOD, we get paid the next Thursday after that Friday.

This is quite different from the general GSA pay schedule. Has DOD paid like this always? So basically at DOD, there are 6 more days of waiting period for the pay to come in. Are all DOD employees paid like this??
ex-military  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2019 8:47:48 AM(UTC)
ex-military

Was thanked: 94 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Had the same thing happen when I transferred from HHS to DHS. HHS payroll posted the Friday after the end of the pay period. DHS, payday is the Thursday after that, so essentially almost an entire pay period behind. In practice, what is happening is the payroll will post on the second Monday after the end of the PP, so a couple of days early. On occasion, games get played with holidays etc and it doesnt post until Tues or Wed.

It has to do with the Payroll Processor. There are way too many redundant systems in Fed govt.
DaVinci95  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2019 9:49:39 AM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 56 post(s)
I've worked for the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, and DHA. In all cases, payday was the Friday (or Thursday night) after the pay period closed.
SoylentGreen  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2019 10:02:37 AM(UTC)
SoylentGreen

United States

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Originally Posted by: seeasdf Go to Quoted Post
Recently transferred from SSA to DOD Army.

SSA released me on March 30, 2019 and my new DOD start date was March 31, 2019.

During DOD orientation, was told that start date being March 31st, the pay day will be on April 18th, because I am a transfer.

However, had a conversation w/ payroll today and I was told that at DOD, we have extra one week of waiting time until pay comes into our bank accounts.
So we work two weeks, and rather than getting paid on the following Friday, here at DOD, we get paid the next Thursday after that Friday.

This is quite different from the general GSA pay schedule. Has DOD paid like this always? So basically at DOD, there are 6 more days of waiting period for the pay to come in. Are all DOD employees paid like this??

So, your first pay period with DoD ends tomorrow, April 13. If you are getting direct deposit, you should receive your deposit for this pay period on Friday, April 19. That's actually a day or two quicker than some other agencies.

SoylentGreen  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2019 10:04:56 AM(UTC)
SoylentGreen

United States

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Actually, apparently some DoD folks get paid on the second Thursday after the pay period ends. Sorry if I misled anyone. I get paid on the first Friday after the pay period ends. Your experience may vary.

Edited by user Friday, April 12, 2019 10:05:33 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

cyberfx1024  
#6 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2019 6:49:35 PM(UTC)
cyberfx1024

United States

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Originally Posted by: SoylentGreen Go to Quoted Post
Actually, apparently some DoD folks get paid on the second Thursday after the pay period ends. Sorry if I misled anyone. I get paid on the first Friday after the pay period ends. Your experience may vary.

Yep this is me. I get paid on the 2nd Thursday after the pay period ends. ALso the pay alway*****s.my bank around 1pm Eastern time every single time.
seeasdf  
#7 Posted : Sunday, April 14, 2019 8:32:04 AM(UTC)
seeasdf

United States

thank you very much for the responses!!
birdonamission  
#8 Posted : Sunday, April 14, 2019 5:16:43 PM(UTC)
birdonamission

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 43 post(s)
I left DoD three years ago and I forgot the timing between the end of the pay period and my direct deposit posting. Where I'm at now, I see the money in my checking account the following Friday after the end of the pay period.

BUT, that's not true for some of my co-workers. Some see their money show up on Saturday. What I was told about how it could be different when we work in the same office, in the same agency, with the same payroll office and system is that Treasury sends the direct deposit at exactly the same time to employees' financial institutions and it's up to those banks to decide when they post the money. Mine doesn't waste any time, compared to others', who sit on it for a bit longer.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed