Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Medicare and Health Care

*This is a non-medical board. This site shall not be used to seek professional, medical or legal consultation.

Medicare is health insurance for people age 65 or older, under age 65 with certain disabilities, and any age person with End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD). There are many different parts to Medicare; with all of these options, it can be confusing.

This forum will allow members to share their experience with medicare and seek advice* on certain medicare-related situations.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tomjordan  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2019 1:31:43 PM(UTC)
tomjordan

Groups: Registered

(I couldn't find a previous topic that seemed to relate to us precisely (we're not retired, not on SSDI, etc), but my apologies if I overlooked one)

My non-Fed wife (65) & I (64) still plan to work a few more years. FEHB coverage = BC/BS family. She just turned 65 last month, we don't have any major health conditions or issues. I understand she needs to enroll in Medicare, but the "Medicare & You" publication implies that she can "enroll" but it might be to her advantage to "delay" and that I should contact my agency's personnel office. That's a total dead end, they won't talk about it at all.

Can anyone offer--or point me to--an explanation what this is all about? Does she need Part B? If so, is BC/BS an adequate secondary plan?
upandup  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 13, 2019 7:59:39 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
While you are working, FEHB will remain primary regardless of Medicare status.
Medicare Part A is generally without a premium, so it usually makes sense to enroll in Part A. That will then be secondary for inpatient bills.

Since Medicare Part B would be secondary, it is often not worth paying premiums while FEHB is primary. (Even when it is primary, this is a topic of much debate and no one answer.) Your wife will get a special enrollment period to choose Part B without surcharge once your FEHB coverage ends/active status ends.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed