Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pennwood66  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 14, 2019 7:17:43 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I am hoping someone can offer some advice. I am currently a GS12 but applied for a GS11 position and have been referred. If I get interviewed I am wondering if they will ask why I am applying for a lower grade position and how I should answer the question without hurting my chances. Any advice?
Endless Summer  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 14, 2019 9:37:07 AM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 143 post(s)
Originally Posted by: pennwood66 Go to Quoted Post
I am hoping someone can offer some advice. I am currently a GS12 but applied for a GS11 position and have been referred. If I get interviewed I am wondering if they will ask why I am applying for a lower grade position and how I should answer the question without hurting my chances. Any advice?

I did just that. They never asked, but I was prepared to tell them the truth. In my case I was moving from an area with an outrageous cost of living to an area with a very modest cost of living. Even taking the drop in grade and the much lower locality pay into effect I was coming out $26k ahead.
pennwood66  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 14, 2019 10:51:28 AM(UTC)

Thanks. In my case the current GS12 job I have is very stressful with alot of deadlines. I applied for a GS11 at the same place in another branch where the work is no where near as stressful. It will be a pay cut for me but I interested in it to have a better quality of life. I do not want to really say the reason I want to leave my current position and take the GS11 is because it is a less stressful job with less work. In other words I don't want to sound like I am bashing my current branch and looking for an easier job, just something like looking for a different opportunity or something.
Citrine  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 14, 2019 7:03:08 PM(UTC)
Citrine

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
have a good answer ready.

a downgrade position might give you broader experience, and open up different avenues for advancement. meet new people, learn new things, yada yada.

can you get the same pay in the lower position? that would make a broadening reason more convincing.

do you have at least a year in the current position and grade?
FatHappyCat  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 14, 2019 10:36:59 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 91 post(s)

Fairly certain they won't ask you about it since they're required to ask only the scripted questions.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
pennwood66 on 4/14/2019(UTC)
cyberfx1024  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 16, 2019 2:04:04 PM(UTC)
cyberfx1024

United States

Was thanked: 50 time(s) in 45 post(s)

Just be prepared to answer this question of they ask it. I was asked this as well in a job interview once and I answered truthfully that I wanted to move back to NC to be closer to family.

I was a GS-11 in Los Angeles and then moved to NC as a GS-9, then 6 months later I was offered a 11 and a 12 within the same week. I ended up taking the GS-12 position and haven't looked back.
FS0201  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 16, 2019 3:07:17 PM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 274 time(s) in 239 post(s)

Agree with others. You probably won’t be asked, but be prepared with a reason just in case (family, expanded experience, location, etc...). I have interviewed for lower graded positions before, and don’t recall being asked directly. I have answered indirectly when addressing interest in a position. Also think it is more common than some imagine. I even knew an SES that took a downgrade to a 15 to get experience in a different field, and was later promoted back to SES.
The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
Warehouse Guy  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 16, 2019 4:37:38 PM(UTC)
Warehouse Guy

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
My suggestion is to make sure you insert it somewhere. They probably won't ask(they technically have to ask everybody the same questions so they won't be specific) but they will probably wonder/want to know, so if you have a reason that you feel is valid and isn't negative it wouldn't hurt to throw it in there and ease any concerns they might have.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed