Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Retirement Planning

Whether you are close to federal employee retirement or just starting out in your career, this is the place to share ideas with your federal colleagues on creating a secure financial foundation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GWPDA  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2019 6:54:40 PM(UTC)
GWPDA

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 481 time(s) in 401 post(s)
So, it's looking like my three high pay years may be followed by two-three years of pay that will be lower than the highest consecutive three. Do I retain the three consecutive high three years or have them diluted by the subsequent two-three little bit lower years?

Thus: 12-12-13-13-14-14-14-12-12-12
frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2019 2:20:38 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 954 time(s) in 757 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GWPDA Go to Quoted Post
So, it's looking like my three high pay years may be followed by two-three years of pay that will be lower than the highest consecutive three. Do I retain the three consecutive high three years or have them diluted by the subsequent two-three little bit lower years?

It is high-3 not last-3. Of course, if enough time passes (ie go from GS-13 Rest of US area to GS-11 in NYC) and then spend a decade or more as an -11 there, then you may find the GS-11 pay isn't that far off from your previous GS13 or may even slightly exceeded it.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
TheRealOrange  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2019 3:10:40 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 106 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GWPDA Go to Quoted Post

As frankgonzalez indicated, it's the highest three consecutive years, regardless of when they occurred. Here's the information from OPM:

High-3 Average Salary

Your “high-3” average pay is the highest average basic pay you earned during any 3 consecutive years of service. These three years are usually your final three years of service, but can be an earlier period, if your basic pay was higher during that period. Your basic pay is the basic salary you earn for your position. It includes increases to your salary for which retirement deductions are withheld, such as shift rates. It does not include payments for overtime, bonuses, etc. (If your total service was less than 3 years, your average salary was figured by averaging your basic pay during all of your periods of creditable Federal service).

https://www.opm.gov/reti...information/computation/
Raoul  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2019 5:36:53 AM(UTC)

Man
United States

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 28 post(s)
and technically it's high consecutive 36 months not calendar years.

In most situations it's the last 36 months.
So, every month you work replaces what you made the month three years ago as that month falls out of the calculation.

The high three creeps up every 30 days.
Retired July 2011
Rss Feed  Atom Feed