Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Workers' Compensation

The Office of Workers' Compensation Programs administers four major disability compensation programs which provide wage replacement benefits, medical treatment, vocational rehabilitation and other benefits to certain workers or their dependents who experience work-related injury or occupational disease.

Here is a forum for members to share and exchange experiences regarding to workers' compensation related issues.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
butkus51  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2019 7:16:33 AM(UTC)
butkus51

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

I went on LWOP/OWCP back in March. I pay $59.31 for my health insurance bi-weekly but they are taking out $149.89. I get the career rate from the APWU CDHP plan, self and one. The higher rate is for non career/less than one year employees. The OPM code is 476. So the code is right and since there is no code for the reduced career rate, I am being over deducted by about $83. I tried to get this rectified through by DOL adjuster but she said I have to call the comp contact here in my district. I have left her messages and faxes but nothing has changed. At the very least, shouldn't United Health Care be cutting me back a check?

Thanks
"Try again, fail again. Fail better."
edalder  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 09, 2019 10:26:28 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 189 time(s) in 164 post(s)
Postal employees do pay less for their FEHB benefits than other Federal employees. OWCP will deduct the Postal rate for the first year, but not thereafter.

It is my understanding that the USPS will refund the difference in the two rates after the first year on a quarterly basis, but you have to apply with the USPS and I suspect you have to do it quarterly. Also, if you have been separated because you retired, but elected OWCP or the USPS separated you, you will not longer be eligible. Essentially, you pay the same rate as any other Postal retiree, if you are no longer a USPS employee, even one on extended LWOP.

Ultimately, you have to deal with the USPS, not OWCP on this one. You might consider whether you union can rattle a few cages for you.
Kivi
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
butkus51 on 5/10/2019(UTC)
butkus51  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2019 4:21:21 AM(UTC)
butkus51

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: edalder Go to Quoted Post
Postal employees do pay less for their FEHB benefits than other Federal employees. OWCP will deduct the Postal rate for the first year, but not thereafter.

It is my understanding that the USPS will refund the difference in the two rates after the first year on a quarterly basis, but you have to apply with the USPS and I suspect you have to do it quarterly. Also, if you have been separated because you retired, but elected OWCP or the USPS separated you, you will not longer be eligible. Essentially, you pay the same rate as any other Postal retiree, if you are no longer a USPS employee, even one on extended LWOP.

Ultimately, you have to deal with the USPS, not OWCP on this one. You might consider whether you union can rattle a few cages for you.

Thank you. Do you know how I would do that?
"Try again, fail again. Fail better."
edalder  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2019 1:11:49 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 189 time(s) in 164 post(s)
I would start with your HR/USPS Injury Comp office as they probably have some familiarity with the issue. There is probably a form you have to complete and turn in and then it gets forwarded to the Data Center and you eventually get a check. (Don't hold your breath about how quickly this one will happen.)

If you run into a road block, talk to your union. If the shop steward is not helpful, go up the chain. If you are a letter carrier, for example, there is probably someone in the regional business office who deals a lot with OWCP matters and may be able to help. I suspect APWU works somewhat the same, but I am not as familiar with their organization structure.
Kivi
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
butkus51 on 5/21/2019(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed