Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Anonymous33  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 1, 2019 3:01:54 PM(UTC)
Anonymous33

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I am a GS 11 and repeatedly see my same position posted as a GS 12. My department manager and local supervisor have both said I do 12 work. Both have said they would support advocating for growing my position. I have also stated that it will help the department in the long run because really hiring at an 11, it isn't competitive enough to attract the skillset they really need.

My manager has job descriptions for GS 12 in this role and I have saved some myself. She is in support of asking for my position to be regraded.

My question is should we approach this as a desk audit or a promotion? The goal is to ensure the position will be graded at 12 even if or when I move on because it really needs to be at that level. What other suggestions do you have for advocating? The goal is to compare current job description with GS 12 description for the same role elsewhere and link the two to my daily tasks. Or possibly approach some other way. I am open to suggestions.
frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 2, 2019 5:12:39 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1185 time(s) in 946 post(s)
Do NOT compare your role with positions elsewhere. It may result in failure. They may have a grade determination due to a factor at that location you do not have...OR (and this would make you the most hated person in your field!), it could result in the other positions getting downgraded if they turn out to not be doing GS12 level work.

You and your boss need to work on what you actually do in your position and have that graded (a desk audit will do this). If I were the supervisor (or you), I'd have some informal talks with a classifier to see what might be the difference between an -11 vs a -12 in my location. Often it can be a single word that makes all the difference. I'd also want to see what the current position graded out at. Is it barely over the threshold to be an -11? Or is it just short of being a -12? The latter would be easier in putting it over the top and getting the position upgraded. The former...could be a lot of work.

Look at the language in the other -12 position descriptions to see what the differences are to yours. Then have your boss (or you ghost write) write a new updated PD for your position, and get HR to sign off on it (probably as part of a desk audit).

Hopefully, some of the HR gurus weigh in on this.
You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
djp  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 2, 2019 4:08:06 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 174 time(s) in 171 post(s)
Have you examined your position description with point scoring vs OPM guidelines for 12 leve in that series
Anonymous33  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2019 4:44:57 AM(UTC)
Anonymous33

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I have never seen a position description with point scoring.

I should clarify the 12 posts I have seen are in different regions so no one local would have the authority to downgrade the 12s elsewhere.

I am already performing above my job description.

How would I go about seeing the point scoring? Or finding out officially if it's 11 going on 12 or barely 11?

The issue is that I am going way beyond the minimum requirements, and everyone good in this role leaves for a 12 so I'm trying to help advocate for departmental retention. It's really win win if we do it right.

Basically we are not at the location of higher management. My discipline has much more easy access to grade 12 in the location where higher management works. There has never been anyone local to advocate for our discipline with upper management. If my position were affiliated with the other physical location it would probably be graded a 12. But it's the individuals at the other location who would have final decision authority whether asking for merit promotion or desk audit.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed