Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

VA (Department of Veterans Affairs)

The United States has the most comprehensive system of assistance for veterans of any nation in the world. This benefits system traces its roots back to 1636, when the Pilgrims of Plymouth Colony were at war with the Pequot Indians. The Pilgrims passed a law which stated that disabled soldiers would be supported by the colony. The establishment of the Veterans Administration came in 1930 when Congress authorized the President to "consolidate and coordinate Government activities affecting war veterans."

This forum also includes the Veterans Health Administration (VHA).

Perhaps you are working for the VA or interested in working for the VA. Here is a forum to share your experience with the VA.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
lostro  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 2, 2019 5:15:42 PM(UTC)
lostro

Groups: Registered
United States

Long story short , I initiated a request to HR about a OPM policy that I qualify for. They acknowledge this request ,but no progress has been made and all they do is ignore my questions they don't know how to answer. Keep in mind this matter has been delayed months, several months.

How do I officially make a complaint or notify someone to get some attention on this? My next resort is to contact the union and/or the director.

Any suggestions would be great.

Edited by user Thursday, May 2, 2019 5:16:48 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

FS0201  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 2, 2019 7:02:03 PM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 277 time(s) in 241 post(s)
Originally Posted by: lostro Go to Quoted Post
Long story short , I initiated a request to HR about a OPM policy that I qualify for. They acknowledge this request ,but no progress has been made and all they do is ignore my questions they don't know how to answer. Keep in mind this matter has been delayed months, several months.

How do I officially make a complaint or notify someone to get some attention on this? My next resort is to contact the union and/or the director.

What OPM policy is it?
The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
lostro  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 3, 2019 6:18:35 AM(UTC)
lostro

United States

Originally Posted by: FS0201 Go to Quoted Post

What OPM policy is it?

Its a military leave policy

old fed  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 3, 2019 6:28:31 AM(UTC)
old fed

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 55 post(s)

What OPM policy is it?

as you're a bargaining unit employee get the union involved.

lostro  
#5 Posted : Friday, May 3, 2019 7:40:45 AM(UTC)
lostro

United States

Originally Posted by: old fed Go to Quoted Post

What OPM policy is it?

and if that doesn't get anywhere? I almost suspect that people are hesitant to challenge HR. I've already provided adequate supporting documents and the process is clearly shown in ohrm policy guidelines. I don't get what the problem is...
Endless Summer  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 3, 2019 8:19:06 AM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 169 time(s) in 147 post(s)

What OPM policy is it?

and if that doesn't get anywhere? I almost suspect that people are hesitant to challenge HR. I've already provided adequate supporting documents and the process is clearly shown in ohrm policy guidelines. I don't get what the problem is...

Why not take it one step at a time? Bring it to your union and if that fails, then look at the next step...
thanks 1 user thanked Endless Summer for this useful post.
old fed on 5/3/2019(UTC)
old fed  
#7 Posted : Friday, May 3, 2019 9:17:05 AM(UTC)
old fed

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 55 post(s)

What OPM policy is it?

address that if/when it happens. the union is there to represent you, they are usually happy to take on HR. if they are unsuccessful i suppose your congress person or senator?
FS0201  
#8 Posted : Friday, May 3, 2019 11:18:07 AM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 277 time(s) in 241 post(s)

What OPM policy is it?

What exactly is the problem? Saying it is military leave doesn’t really provide any information, as it could be you aren’t being code for LWOP-US, there are problems with being restored to duty, problems with accrual of military leave, management pressuring you not to take voluntary orders, etc... Don’t worry too much about annoying or going against HR, since all we do is provide guidance. Depending on what the actual issue, it may be that HR has already acted and it is dependent on another...
The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
lostro  
#9 Posted : Friday, May 3, 2019 12:58:15 PM(UTC)
lostro

United States

What OPM policy is it?

address that if/when it happens. the union is there to represent you, they are usually happy to take on HR. if they are unsuccessful i suppose your congress person or senator?

kind of what i was thinking... Id hate for it to get to this.

lostro  
#10 Posted : Friday, May 3, 2019 1:25:26 PM(UTC)
lostro

United States

What OPM policy is it?

What exactly is the problem? Saying it is military leave doesn’t really provide any information, as it could be you aren’t being code for LWOP-US, there are problems with being restored to duty, problems with accrual of military leave, management pressuring you not to take voluntary orders, etc... Don’t worry too much about annoying or going against HR, since all we do is provide guidance. Depending on what the actual issue, it may be that HR has already acted and it is dependent on another...

with all do respect sir , if i make a request to HR or payroll through my service or not , should the action take more then 6 months to do and then disregard all further communication?

regardless of what the policy is specifically , nobody is providing the information to process my request . I know i qualify and if I were to ask you what to do to process this action, you would think I would get a clear and concise response. Well that isn't occurring and as a deployed service member I'm being felt left in the dark by my employer.
As a common courtesy , can somebody at minimum set time aside to have a one on one conversation to cover all the details?( At HR'S convenience of course)(Maybe even over the phone? If they'd actually pick up) The answer is no and HR just disregards or ignores when you question their responses.

You do bring up a valid point , questions that I have also asked and Ive yet been given responses. Your examples mentioned is exactly what im trying to avoid.

Trust me nobody has acted , Ive done my homework on this. Now when I return to duty Im expected to consume my work time to deal with this? Im just trying to be proactive so I can transition back smoothly and do the work that I enjoy with out any other headaches.

I can only imagine how much grief i will get when i ask to apply for tsp catch up and reserve differential. I can go on and on about this along with other issues that have risen since my recall to active duty.

If you have further insight about how HR operates ,Id like to hear it as well as discuss outside this forum if necessary. Thank you for your time

Endless Summer  
#11 Posted : Friday, May 3, 2019 1:35:56 PM(UTC)
Endless Summer

regardless of what the policy is specifically , nobody is providing the information to process my request . I know i qualify and if I were to ask you what to do to process this action, you would think I would get a clear and concise response. Well that isn't occurring and as a deployed service member I'm being felt left in the dark by my employer.

Your refusal to provide details that might allow someone knowledgeable help you is why you haven't gotten much relevant info on the forum. How about your supervisor? The union? Have you contacted HR's senior staff? If you are a reservist have you addressed this through your command? And there is always the option of contacting your representatives in your state's legislature.

Good luck
lostro  
#12 Posted : Friday, May 3, 2019 1:50:08 PM(UTC)
lostro

United States

Originally Posted by: Endless Summer Go to Quoted Post

Your refusal to provide details that might allow someone knowledgeable help you is why you haven't gotten much relevant info on the forum. How about your supervisor? The union? Have you contacted HR's senior staff? If you are a reservist have you addressed this through your command? And there is always the option of contacting your representatives in your state's legislature.

Good luck

Sir/Ma'am, I dont need knowledgeable help on the specific nature of my request. Ive already researched the matter my self and I know HR and payroll have to handle it. All i asked was how to file a complaint ...

My service leadership has since intervened ,but thats now been 30 + days and once again no reply. Union is the next step, the HR representative that handles this is supposedly the supervisor and isnt any more helpful.
I have not addressed with my command, dont know how I could approach that angle.
My representatives is the last resort...
lostro  
#13 Posted : Friday, May 3, 2019 1:56:37 PM(UTC)
lostro

United States

Listen everyone, I take my job serious and I enjoy serving veterans in my capacity, but lets hypothetically say someone complains about my service and my supervisor is notified. Well my supervisor deals with me accordingly. Now I will say that my service did also drag there feet on this as well , but the issue at hand has been approached from multiple angles, why does HR get a free pass ?
frankgonzalez  
#14 Posted : Monday, May 6, 2019 3:17:53 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 964 time(s) in 765 post(s)
Listen everyone, I take my job serious and I enjoy serving veterans in my capacity, but lets hypothetically say someone complains about my service and my supervisor is notified. Well my supervisor deals with me accordingly. Now I will say that my service did also drag there feet on this as well , but the issue at hand has been approached from multiple angles, why does HR get a free pass ?
No-one has said they do. However, they only process things. You may find your supervisory chain in your civil service job are the ones who are holding things up and HR is trying to not get in the middle of a fight between you and your leadership.

I see the same thing with Reasonable Accommodation requests. The EEO office is NOT the approval office. The supervisor is (note: some agencies have removed this from the supervisor and have a separate function that does the approval/denial of accommodations. I have not worked in any of those agencies). So while I can refer people back to their supervisor or ask them if they want to file an EEO complaint, the reality is, I (and my office) are not the ones holding up their request. If you are in the bargaining unit, the best they (HR) can do is suggest you talk to your union rep.

The end of the day, the process for a complaint (for not processing your military leave) would be Grievance process then MSPB then Fed District Court.
You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
ex-military  
#15 Posted : Monday, May 6, 2019 4:09:04 AM(UTC)
ex-military

Was thanked: 100 time(s) in 82 post(s)

Good luck

Sir/Ma'am, I dont need knowledgeable help on the specific nature of my request. Ive already researched the matter my self and I know HR and payroll have to handle it. All i asked was how to file a complaint ...

My service leadership has since intervened ,but thats now been 30 + days and once again no reply. Union is the next step, the HR representative that handles this is supposedly the supervisor and isnt any more helpful.
I have not addressed with my command, dont know how I could approach that angle.

If you're so freaking smart and have "researched the matter" at hand and just "know" that you are qualified and "know" that the problem is with HR and Payroll, why not do your research and figure out how to file a complaint yourself? Why waste time here with vague innuendo and finger-pointing?
Endless Summer  
#16 Posted : Monday, May 6, 2019 12:49:25 PM(UTC)
Endless Summer

How did we go from a military leave policy to a complaint about the level of service you provided?

It's like I understand every word you wrote, but I'll be damned if I can string them together into a coherent statement.
lostro  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, May 7, 2019 1:19:29 PM(UTC)
lostro

United States

Originally Posted by: frankgonzalez Go to Quoted Post
No-one has said they do. However, they only process things. You may find your supervisory chain in your civil service job are the ones who are holding things up and HR is trying to not get in the middle of a fight between you and your leadership.

I see the same thing with Reasonable Accommodation requests. The EEO office is NOT the approval office. The supervisor is (note: some agencies have removed this from the supervisor and have a separate function that does the approval/denial of accommodations. I have not worked in any of those agencies). So while I can refer people back to their supervisor or ask them if they want to file an EEO complaint, the reality is, I (and my office) are not the ones holding up their request. If you are in the bargaining unit, the best they (HR) can do is suggest you talk to your union rep.

The end of the day, the process for a complaint (for not processing your military leave) would be Grievance process then MSPB then Fed District Court.

I see what your saying , but two completely different situations. My request is upheld by U.S. Code and cant be denied. I know my service leadership is not holding things up because they also reached out to HR for support. Guess I will have to defer to union representation and go from there. Appreciate the feedback
lostro  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, May 7, 2019 1:31:21 PM(UTC)
lostro

United States

Originally Posted by: ex-military Go to Quoted Post

Good luck

If you're so freaking smart and have "researched the matter" at hand and just "know" that you are qualified and "know" that the problem is with HR and Payroll, why not do your research and figure out how to file a complaint yourself? Why waste time here with vague innuendo and finger-pointing?

Ok wise guy, whats makes you think I haven't? The basis for my question was to gather insightful options members have approached themselves.
You got a problem with that?
lostro  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, May 7, 2019 1:43:25 PM(UTC)
lostro

United States

How did we go from a military leave policy to a complaint about the level of service you provided?

It's like I understand every word you wrote, but I'll be damned if I can string them together into a coherent statement.

Cause its seems like certain individuals want to take things personal as If I'm making the complaint against them. Hmmmm... I suppose maybe my request isn't being dealt with accordingly because they're on this forum at work rather than doing their job.
Wow, it takes that much effort to string it? SMH...

frankgonzalez  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, May 8, 2019 5:40:37 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 964 time(s) in 765 post(s)
Originally Posted by: frankgonzalez Go to Quoted Post

I see what your saying , but two completely different situations. My request is upheld by U.S. Code and cant be denied. I know my service leadership is not holding things up because they also reached out to HR for support. Guess I will have to defer to union representation and go from there. Appreciate the feedback
A reasonable accommodation is also upheld by US code, and for far longer than military leave has been. That said, I told you the process for your complaint. The issue may be your supervisor has not done what they are supposed to do, and therefore HR can't do anything further. But, you need to file a grievance first, then see what is needed for the next steps based on what occurs then.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
thanks 1 user thanked frankgonzalez for this useful post.
lostro on 5/8/2019(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed