Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.



Federal Employees Benefits Q &A

Do you have questions about your federal employee CSRS or FERS pension/annuity or federal employee retirement planning? Concerns about your Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) account or what about federal employee pay and leave issues?

Ask your question here.

You must Register before posting to this forum.
The Q&A forum is moderated by Ed Zurndorfer -- an expert on federal employee benefits -- and a Certified Financial Planner, chartered life underwriter and chartered financial consultant in Maryland.

Zurndorfer is also the author of several federal employee benefits guides published by Federal Employees News Digest.

Your question will be put into a message queue and submitted for review. We cannot guarantee that all questions will be answered, however any answered questions will appear below, and some will also be featured in our daily Federal Daily e-newsletter (Subscribe here). Federal Soup users should not submit replies to the questions posted, as we leave the replies for the moderator only. Any replies to questions other than the moderator will be deleted.

Please do not submit employee benefits questions to the webmaster or the forum moderator.

Note: FederalSoup.com has attempted to compile information that is as accurate and current as possible for federal employees. Federal policies, laws, regulations, statistics and addresses continually change. Therefore, no warranties are made as to the accuracy or completeness of the information presented in this column. If additional clarification or information is needed, it is suggested that competent and professional assistance be sought. Mr. Zurndorfer does not moderate other forums on FederalSoup and will not reply to general FederalSoup inquiries submitted in this Q&A forum.

Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Friday, May 3, 2019 5:01:24 PM(UTC)

Rank: Rookie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/15/2017(UTC)
Posts: 44
United States
Location: DC

Thanks: 1 times
For example,if I have about 8 years of federal employee status. If I leave federal government then come back to be a federal employee a few years before 62 years ago, for example, if I come back to federal government when I am somewhere around 55-57 years old.

When I turn to 62 years old, can I get 1.1% per year for pension (with less than 15 years' service in total)?

Ed Zurndorfer  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2019 3:38:42 PM(UTC)
Ed Zurndorfer

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/10/2001(UTC)
Posts: 5,660

Was thanked: 149 time(s) in 139 post(s)
The simple answer to your question is no. In order to be eligible for the 1.1 percent accrual factor in the calculation of your FERS annuity, you would have to retire from federal service at age 62 or older with at least 20 years of federal service.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

This page was generated in 0.203 seconds.