Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Relocating

Are you considering relocating your federal career - either by your choice or by Uncle Sam? There are practical issues and concerns to think about when deciding whether or not to relocate. Others have done it while still others have not. This forum will allow for all to offer their insight, post their questions, and help each other out.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
USTrans  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 4, 2019 8:31:55 PM(UTC)
USTrans

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 19 post(s)
I am PCSing back to CONUS and has been authorized 60-days TQSE. Has anyone used Air BnB for TQSE purposes? I have not ready anything that says you can, but have not read anything that specifically says you can't. Just want to get take of the groups experience in the matter. Thanks everyone.
DaVinci95  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 5, 2019 4:30:06 AM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 66 post(s)
I rented an Airbnb for a month when PCSing back from Japan a few years ago. I took the lump sum, so I didn’t need to turn in receipts for approval.
USTrans  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 6, 2019 9:58:24 AM(UTC)
USTrans

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: DaVinci95 Go to Quoted Post
I rented an Airbnb for a month when PCSing back from Japan a few years ago. I took the lump sum, so I didn’t need to turn in receipts for approval.

Interesting! Thanks for the information. I chose the actual route. My HR replied to my question concerning Air BnB...paraphrasing, we are 99% sure you can use Air BnB...but talk with DFAS for the other 1%. My next step is to call DFAS 1-800 number and be on hold forever, lol and hope I get to talk with someone.
SpaceBall  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 6, 2019 12:10:45 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
According to the GSA FTR Page 17, GSA has a definition of "Approved Accommodation"

Approved accommodation — Any place of public lodging that is listed on the national master list of approved accommodations. The national master list of all approved accommodations is compiled, periodically updated, and published in the Federal Register by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Additionally, the approved accommodation list is available on the U.S. Fire Administration's Internet site at https://apps.usfa.fema.gov/hotel/.

If you look at the section regarding TQSE, 'FTR Page 215 - PART 302-6—ALLOWANCE FOR TEMPORARY QUARTERS SUBSISTENCE EXPENSES', that word is not used throughout the entire section. The only part close to defining where you can stay is:

§302-6.9 Where may I/we occupy temporary quarters at Government expense?
You and/or your immediate family may occupy temporary quarters at Government expense within reasonable proximity of your old and/or new official stations. Neither you nor your immediate family may be reimbursed for occupying temporary quarters at any other location, unless justified by special circumstances that are reasonably related to your transfer.

For future research, and to get an answer to this question without calling DFAS, you can look at the GSA FTR for answers.

https://www.gsa.gov/poli...al-travel-regulation-ftr
djp  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 6, 2019 4:09:32 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 131 time(s) in 128 post(s)
To me an air B.B. is no different than you renting a room from someone for a few days.

20 years ago when I first moved to DC working for a govt contractor...I started late June. My apt lease I was in went to end of July. Apartment I wanted to move to wasn’t available till mid July.

For 3 weeks I stayed during the week in someone’s basement in a spare bedroom and bathroom. This was before the days of Airbnb.

I had moving expenses covered.
USTrans  
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2019 4:41:16 PM(UTC)
USTrans

Man
United States

I appreciate the replies and I received an email from DFAS Customer Care Center and YES, you can utilize Air BnB for TQSE purposes. I wanted to ensure that was clarified...of course that could be a costly mistake. Thanks everyone.
AirTransporter  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2019 2:24:14 AM(UTC)
AirTransporter

United States

Originally Posted by: USTrans Go to Quoted Post
I appreciate the replies and I received an email from DFAS Customer Care Center and YES, you can utilize Air BnB for TQSE purposes. I wanted to ensure that was clarified...of course that could be a costly mistake. Thanks everyone.

Hey, by any chance do you have their customer care email?
icanzz  
#8 Posted : Friday, June 28, 2019 4:30:39 AM(UTC)
icanzz

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Used Air BnB for 2 months coming back from Italy ...stayed beach house -Off season- was great. No issues.
USTrans  
#9 Posted : Monday, July 1, 2019 11:30:17 PM(UTC)
USTrans

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: AirTransporter Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: USTrans Go to Quoted Post

Hey, by any chance do you have their customer care email?

AirTransporter...I apologize as I have just completed my move from OCONUS to CONUS. The email address is below.

dfas.rome.jfx.mbx.ccc-civrelo-questionsonly@mail.mil
icanzz  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, July 9, 2019 2:55:36 PM(UTC)
icanzz

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: icanzz Go to Quoted Post
Used Air BnB for 2 months coming back from Italy ...stayed beach house -Off season- was great. No issues.

Just realized... I simply used my LQA for last 2 months at a beach house. and TQSE for hotel last 2 nights.

Edited by user Tuesday, July 9, 2019 2:56:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed