Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

General Conversations

Within this forum, you can:

• share experiences as a federal employee
  • ask for some general help from fellow federal employees
  • offer helpful advice
  • make this world a better place (doesn't hurt to try)

Please keep in mind that this is not an opportunity to "step up on a soap box." Let's keep things clean, polite and useful. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Pawn  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 7, 2019 11:50:56 AM(UTC)
Pawn

Groups: Registered

Apologies, if this is in the wrong forum, but I have a question on the process of transitioning from an old PD to a new PD within my agency. I was hired into the federal government on a PD that had a GS-12 Journeyman with another individual. At the time there were only 2 of us. A few years ago, my agency created a new GS-13 Journeyman, within the same job series that I am encumbering, and hired a few people at our HQ in DC. Nothing was ever done to convert me over to this new PD until my recent supervisor, who has taken it upon themselves to try and correct. According to our HR, the only way to convert me over to this new GS-13 PD is to create a vacancy announcement to which I can apply. Is this correct? I ask, because my HR is known to make mistakes. It seems that there should be a process the is more efficient in converting over a single person. I am a 10-point veteran. I appreciate any guidance, thanks!
TheRealOrange  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 8, 2019 2:37:40 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 128 time(s) in 110 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Pawn Go to Quoted Post
Apologies, if this is in the wrong forum, but I have a question on the process of transitioning from an old PD to a new PD within my agency. I was hired into the federal government on a PD that had a GS-12 Journeyman with another individual. At the time there were only 2 of us. A few years ago, my agency created a new GS-13 Journeyman, within the same job series that I am encumbering, and hired a few people at our HQ in DC. Nothing was ever done to convert me over to this new PD until my recent supervisor, who has taken it upon themselves to try and correct. According to our HR, the only way to convert me over to this new GS-13 PD is to create a vacancy announcement to which I can apply. Is this correct? I ask, because my HR is known to make mistakes. It seems that there should be a process the is more efficient in converting over a single person. I am a 10-point veteran. I appreciate any guidance, thanks!

That has been the process at every agency I have worked. The incumbent basically applies for his/her position in a competitive vacancy announcement. Because there is no procedure for non-competitively promoting the person, the "new" position under the new PD must be competed. That assumes, however, that the manager and HR cannot complete the desk audit process and secure the promotion due to the accretion of duties at the higher grade level under the lower-graded PD. My understanding is that is done only when the existing PD is improperly classified, which may not be the case in your situation, as it involves a different PD and classification. Others here are much more versed on these topics, so perhaps they will add more. Best of luck.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed