Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AFcivilian  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2019 8:47:06 AM(UTC)
AFcivilian

Groups: Registered

For a job listing, does TIG count as when the listing has ended or can I put my availability as the first day after my 1-year mark?

I just got my masters ... so the only way I can apply for gs-11/12 is if it is open to the public, no other categories I can apply through?

I thought I heard before if you have the experience you can still apply and see if they reject.

For reference I’m a gs-7 and veteran (not retired and no disability)
DaVinci95  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2019 12:29:12 PM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 68 time(s) in 65 post(s)
TIG is measured at the date the announcement closes. If you don't have the TIG but you have outside experience that qualifies you, then you would have to apply to the open to the public announcement. It would be a good idea to highlight the qualifying experience in your resume/cover letter because HR may just look at your current GS-7 position and disqualify you.
FS0201  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2019 1:22:09 PM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 277 time(s) in 241 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AFcivilian Go to Quoted Post
For a job listing, does TIG count as when the listing has ended or can I put my availability as the first day after my 1-year mark?

I just got my masters ... so the only way I can apply for gs-11/12 is if it is open to the public, no other categories I can apply through?

I thought I heard before if you have the experience you can still apply and see if they reject.

I am not really understanding the question. If you are a 7, even with a master's, you should be applying for either 8 or 9, depending on series. I don't see any way that you would be eligible for an 11/12, unless you had outside experience and were applying for a position open to the public. As for the TIG at point of application, you wouldn't be eligible applying for a position that you would qualify time wise in the future, unless it was one of the positions where they include language like, "All Applicants must meet time-in-grade and specialized experience requirements with thirty (30) days after the closing date of the announcement."

The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
AFcivilian  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2019 7:54:11 PM(UTC)
AFcivilian

Originally Posted by: FS0201 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: AFcivilian Go to Quoted Post

I am not really understanding the question. If you are a 7, even with a master's, you should be applying for either 8 or 9, depending on series. I don't see any way that you would be eligible for an 11/12, unless you had outside experience and were applying for a position open to the public. As for the TIG at point of application, you wouldn't be eligible applying for a position that you would qualify time wise in the future, unless it was one of the positions where they include language like, "All Applicants must meet time-in-grade and specialized experience requirements with thirty (30) days after the closing date of the announcement."

I should have been more clear. I have corporate experience equal to gs-11/12 and possibly 13 (I can stretch my supervisor experience to match).

I feel I jumped to fast and accepted a gs-7 position. My first review was all 5.0 and even given feedback I belong in higher grade.

I just didn’t know if I unfortunately need to wait it out or not.
djp  
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2019 11:54:13 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 120 post(s)
You can apply as a 12 given outside experience if the outside experience fits the job. If the job you are in is a career change then outside doesn’t matter.

I’m not all that familiar with VRA and VEOA rules that you can go to 11.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed