Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rbr  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2019 1:10:57 PM(UTC)
rbrow018

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 32 post(s)
Hello All

I have friend in a situation who wants my advice and I'm honestly not sure what to tell them. Looking for insight from the group, specifically the HR people.

Here's the general background......Got first job in federal government about almost a year ago working at an Agency A where they were required to serve 1 year of probation. Discovered that they were a bad fit at Agency A so began to apply to other agencies at halfway point of 52 weeks. Was eventually offered job at Agency B at a lateral transfer but higher clearance level. This happened about 2 months before probation was up. Certified both SF-86 and OEF-306 stating that they had never been terminated from a position while still employed with Agency A. About 10 days after security process started and 3 weeks before probation completion date, they were informed that they would not be retained past probation at Agency A. From what I understand, there was no prior indication (formal counseling or disciplinary action) leading them to believe that they would be terminated. Chose to accept immediate termination in lieu of forced resignation mainly for unemployment benefit purposes. Waiting on final SF-50 from Agency A.

Although they aren't upset about the termination (job not a great fit), they are concerned with how it could potentially impact a transfer over to Agency B given the sudden "break in service". Wants to know should they reach out to Agency B's HR and inform them of situation or let the situation play out?

I'm personally leaning towards advising them to tell HR (will find out anyway) but I have some people that disagree since the forms which the investigation was certified are technically accurate....Thoughts?

Edited by user Saturday, May 11, 2019 1:25:32 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

someoldguy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2019 1:39:13 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 900 time(s) in 753 post(s)
HR won't be of much help here. The person applying for a job requiring a higher clearance will almost certainly have a meeting with an investigator and they can provide the updated info at that time. That's my take on things.
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
rbr  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2019 1:47:15 PM(UTC)
rbrow018

Originally Posted by: someoldguy Go to Quoted Post
HR won't be of much help here. The person applying for a job requiring a higher clearance will almost certainly have a meeting with an investigator and they can provide the updated info at that time. That's my take on things.

I told them to definitely disclose the situation to an investigator during the clearance interview. From my understanding, they told me they could get an interim clearance prior to a security interview. They showed me SF-86 which was pretty "clean" prior to latest termination. If that's the information security office is using then they probably will be granted one.

I think their biggest concern is that if HR does extend a final offer (in say a month) and wants to get initiate a inter-agency transfer, they will no longer be in the federal government. How much will that complicate the hiring process?
someoldguy  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2019 1:52:04 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 900 time(s) in 753 post(s)
Originally Posted by: rbr Go to Quoted Post
I think their biggest concern is that if HR does extend a final offer (in say a month) and wants to get initiate a inter-agency transfer, they will no longer be in the federal government. How much will that complicate the hiring process?
If anything it should make it simpler since they won't have to get the other HR to generate the paperwork needed to effect the transfer.

DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
thanks 1 user thanked someoldguy for this useful post.
rbrow018 on 5/11/2019(UTC)
Citrine  
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 12, 2019 9:36:52 AM(UTC)
Citrine

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
they might fall into a different category when their federal job ends.

have them check to see if the job was open to current employees, former employees, or the public. also have them find out if they have reinstatement eligibility.
thanks 2 users thanked Citrine for this useful post.
someoldguy on 5/12/2019(UTC), rbrow018 on 5/12/2019(UTC)
djp  
#6 Posted : Sunday, May 12, 2019 12:56:25 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 120 post(s)
If thry are let go..I don’t think this is considered a negative firing affecting the other job. Sine on probation the other job should be as a us citizen so this job shouldn’t matter.

With first time probation it’s hard to fight bring kicked out. Since nothing was written up thry cant cite bad cause for termination since there was no warning signs or counseling record.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
rbrow018 on 5/12/2019(UTC)
rbr  
#7 Posted : Sunday, May 12, 2019 7:33:44 PM(UTC)
rbrow018

Great feedback everyone

Found out they were hired under one of the vet eligibilities (VRA/VEOA) so I don't even think they need a SF-50. I looked at their OEF-306, and told them to "update" it once they are appointed. So don't think they will reach out to HR at this time. The OPM regulation does state the agency isn't allowed to put comments on a final SF-50 for employees terminated during their probationary period because they don't have full appeal rights. The only thing they would need is to discuss the termination with the investigator who could probably interview them after they are already working at the new job.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed