Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Security Clearance

A security clearance is a status granted to individuals allowing them access to classified information. Those trying to get a clearance may have questions such as how does one go about attaining a clearance? And, what are the different levels? As well as other questions. This area will allow those that have clearances offer advice and suggestions to those inquiring about clearances or upgrading their clearances.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
HistoryWhiz1  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2019 1:17:34 PM(UTC)
HistoryWhiz1

Groups: Registered
United States

Hi all,

I have just completed my sophomore year of college; I am expecting to have to complete an SF86 to obtain a security clearance for my internship next summer in the coming months (perhaps August/September). After going over it, I have a few questions about the form.

1. I got in trouble a few times in high school and was sent to the principal's office. However, I turned 18 post-high school and am currently in college. How do I list my education on the form since I haven't received a degree from my university yet (do I just say it's in progress)? Will my high school records be looked at?

2. During my senior year of high school, I fell in with the wrong crowd. I was pressured and threatened with physical violence, on multiple occasions, to smoke weed. Sometimes, it would just get shoved in my mouth despite me saying no. In total, I must have smoked around 9-10 times between October 2016 and May 2017. Since entering college two years ago, I have cut off ALL contact with these people, am clean, associate with non-drug users, and focus on school. My internship this summer even drug tested me-- and I obviously passed. I've read that BI ask for names of people you were with while smoking, etc. but I know that these people resent me for cutting them off and will very much mischaracterize me. How should I go about explaining my story?

3. On a similar vein, the form asks me to list people who have known me well for the last 7 years. I want to list my girlfriend of two years since she knows about my past and knows that I am clean and focused now. However, I can't list too many people from high school as the friends I had were the ones pressuring me to smoke. I might pick a friend from high school who wasn't involved and a family friend. Does that work?
Fed Investigator  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2019 3:09:34 PM(UTC)
Fed Investigator

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 117 post(s)
Just list your attendance dates at the college.

List your references who have known you the last seven years. Girlfriend if fine, family friends are fine. Your time in high school will need to be verified by someone that went there with you, so better find a couple of friends to provide to the Investigator.

Your story of being threatened with violence to smoke and having marijuana shoved in your mouth sounds ridiculous. There may be some truth in there somewhere but on the face of it, it sounds ridiculous. Just be honest in your interview, no one is perfect, the government doesn't want perfect people, they want honest people.

Falsifying your SF-86 or lying in your interview is the fastest way to get your clearance denied.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed