Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
KLS25  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2019 5:07:57 AM(UTC)
KLS25

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/25/2019(UTC)
Posts: 1
United States
Location: MD

I recently received the CJO's and accepted the gs level and salary. I have a quick question. Can you renegotiate your salary when you Final Job Offer comes in? Does anyone have any success negotiating after CJO?

Edited by user Monday, May 13, 2019 5:19:23 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

BatDog123  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2019 6:46:24 AM(UTC)
BatDog123

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/19/2018(UTC)
Posts: 64
United States

Thanks: 28 times
Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: KLS25 Go to Quoted Post
I recently received the CJO's and accepted the gs level and salary. I have a quick question. Can you renegotiate your salary when you Final Job Offer comes in? Does anyone have any success negotiating after CJO?


From what I have heard, the only way to negotiate after the CJO is if you have received higher education or certifications. Otherwise, SOL.
TrinitySix  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 9:39:21 AM(UTC)
TrinitySix

Rank: Member

Groups: Unapproved
Joined: 4/3/2019(UTC)
Posts: 13

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
That said, experience and promotion also counts. OPM has tables; if by the time you get your FJO you have a year of experience as a contractor or in the IC that would improve the FJO. If you get a grade promotion, you won't go backwards with the FJO but might lose steps while gaining grade.

I was advised not to turn down the CJO based on salary and grade offer because of the near certainty that the final will be higher because I'll have had another year of experience and possibly a higher grade when they go to calculate the FJO.

If you're entry level and not already a fed, I think BatDog123 is correct, unless your current job is related to the CJO and you'll have demonstrable qualifications for the next higher grade based on the written criteria for each grade in that role.

No harm in asking. They're not going to rescind if you request a review of your added experience and qualifications for a higher grade, they'll just do that and say yes or no based on whether you meet the criteria.
someoldguy  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 5:10:37 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/28/2013(UTC)
Posts: 3,899

Thanks: 274 times
Was thanked: 897 time(s) in 751 post(s)
Originally Posted by: TrinitySix Go to Quoted Post
No harm in asking. They're not going to rescind if you request a review of your added experience and qualifications for a higher grade, they'll just do that and say yes or no based on whether you meet the criteria.
A guy on the DIA forum reported that his CJO was for 9/4 but his FJO was 10/3. Now, he waited an awfully long time to get the FJO... but I don't think he negotiated, they just offered it.

So it is within the realm of possibilities.

DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
velcroTech  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 5:19:46 PM(UTC)
velcroTech

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/3/2017(UTC)
Posts: 152
Cayman Islands
Location: Gun Bay

Thanks: 6 times
Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 20 post(s)
I can also tell you for a fact that after you get through the clearance process you will be contacted by your recruiter. You can attempt to negotiate for a higher step/grade but some positions have a cap to them for new employees. Other positions have an annual bonus of 10%, 16%, 21% up to 28%.
NancyR  
#6 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2019 12:24:41 PM(UTC)
NancyR

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/23/2018(UTC)
Posts: 4
United States
Location: CALIFORNIA

Thanks: 1 times
I turned down the offer for language analyst position because it was just too too low. Then they came back with another offer, approx they increased $2,000 annually and they increased GS/GG level as well, but it was still too low for me and much different/lower than what they posted online job description. So I turned that offer down as well, never heard back since then. But I was told that my final offer would be higher than current CJO and also language incentive adds up. Hope it will work for you.

Edited by user Saturday, May 18, 2019 12:29:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Added "GG" since NSA uses GG pay scale, which is same I guess

velcroTech  
#7 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2019 2:14:13 PM(UTC)
velcroTech

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/3/2017(UTC)
Posts: 152
Cayman Islands
Location: Gun Bay

Thanks: 6 times
Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NancyR Go to Quoted Post
I turned down the offer for language analyst position because it was just too too low. Then they came back with another offer, approx they increased $2,000 annually and they increased GS/GG level as well, but it was still too low for me and much different/lower than what they posted online job description. So I turned that offer down as well, never heard back since then. But I was told that my final offer would be higher than current CJO and also language incentive adds up. Hope it will work for you.


What did they offer you? What about your professional experience?
NancyR  
#8 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2019 2:15:56 AM(UTC)
NancyR

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/23/2018(UTC)
Posts: 4
United States
Location: CALIFORNIA

Thanks: 1 times
Originally Posted by: velcroTech Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: NancyR Go to Quoted Post
I turned down the offer for language analyst position because it was just too too low. Then they came back with another offer, approx they increased $2,000 annually and they increased GS/GG level as well, but it was still too low for me and much different/lower than what they posted online job description. So I turned that offer down as well, never heard back since then. But I was told that my final offer would be higher than current CJO and also language incentive adds up. Hope it will work for you.


What did they offer you? What about your professional experience?


I was offered Grade 7 Step 8 which makes it $57,987. $44,840 base and $13,147 locality. I have 6,5 years part-time and 1 year full time experience that required me to use my native language(teaching language to military 2,5 years-part time, translation 4 years - part time and I am currently in the speech recognition-voice AI field for the last one year-full time), and have 3/3 DLPT score.

I have another offer from another agency, it's Grade 10 step 7.

Edited by user Sunday, May 19, 2019 6:50:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

someoldguy  
#9 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2019 5:38:30 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/28/2013(UTC)
Posts: 3,899

Thanks: 274 times
Was thanked: 897 time(s) in 751 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NancyR Go to Quoted Post
I was offered Grade 7 Step 8 which makes it $57,987. $44,840 base and $13,147 locality. I have 6,5 years part-time and 1 year full time experience that required me to use my native language(teaching language to military 2,5 years-part time, translation 4 years - part time and I am currently in the speech recognition-voice AI field for the last one year-full time), and have 3/3 DLPT score.
That does seem a bit low, especially for someone with experience. At least you got a little better offer someplace else.

DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
TrinitySix  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2019 5:50:28 PM(UTC)
TrinitySix

Rank: Member

Groups: Unapproved
Joined: 4/3/2019(UTC)
Posts: 13

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I guess they aren't giving much credit for part-time work, which is a bit behind the times in the new gig economy. Glad to hear you got a better offer elsewhere. I can't imagine trying to live on 7 anywhere near here.
thanks 1 user thanked TrinitySix for this useful post.
NancyR on 5/22/2019(UTC)
BatDog123  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2019 4:09:05 AM(UTC)
BatDog123

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/19/2018(UTC)
Posts: 64
United States

Thanks: 28 times
Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: TrinitySix Go to Quoted Post
I guess they aren't giving much credit for part-time work, which is a bit behind the times in the new gig economy. Glad to hear you got a better offer elsewhere. I can't imagine trying to live on 7 anywhere near here.


Shew, I may be one of the very few, but a GS-7 is going to be a pretty large pay raise for me. Although I will be commuting quite a bit, so not living in the immediate area will help.
NancyR  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2019 8:45:16 AM(UTC)
NancyR

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/23/2018(UTC)
Posts: 4
United States
Location: CALIFORNIA

Thanks: 1 times
Originally Posted by: TrinitySix Go to Quoted Post
I guess they aren't giving much credit for part-time work, which is a bit behind the times in the new gig economy. Glad to hear you got a better offer elsewhere. I can't imagine trying to live on 7 anywhere near here.


How about GS 10? Do you think it would be enough in DC area?

Plus my husband needs to find a job in DC area as well if my clearance goes through.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.


This page was generated in 1.877 seconds.