Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Defense

The Department of Defense (DoD) is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the United States armed forces. The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.

The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest government agency -tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times. Today, the Department is not only in charge of the military, but it also employs a civilian force of thousands. With over 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and 718,000 civilian personnel, DoD is the nation's largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.

Perhaps you are working for the DoD or interested in working for the DoD. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DoD.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nembamike  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2019 2:43:56 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 207 time(s) in 186 post(s)
I would think supporting the mission comes before physical fitness.

Edited by user Tuesday, May 14, 2019 2:57:46 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2019 3:05:02 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 964 time(s) in 765 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 1910Operative Go to Quoted Post
Has anyone dealt with having to give up all of your weekly Physical Fitness hours for a pay period in order to be granted OT (8 hrs) on a day off during the same period? Is this even legal? I recently moved to a new department, same agency, and this seems to be the norm. Thanks.
The PT hours are not a right. So, management has decided that if you need overtime, then the gym hours need to go (more time to do the work), and then determine if OT is still needed. If it is, it is not because someone is out of the office working out vs doing the mission work.

Unless you are in a bargaining unit, and the contract requires bargaining unit employees be given a specific amount of time for exercise, then management can end all exercise time. Consider in the same way as telework Nice benefit, but not required.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Endless Summer  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2019 10:16:42 AM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 169 time(s) in 147 post(s)
I'm pretty sure the agreement I signed had that clause in it. Something about forfeiting the PT hours if overtime was required. Seems fair, Otherwise they'd be paying you overtime to work out.
frankgonzalez  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 4:52:45 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

I see the OP deleted their post and left the building after finding zero support for their concern!

I noticed they have had only one other post...and called themselves a non-entitled vet!

https://forum.federalsoup.com/de...&m=905481#post905481

Edited by user Wednesday, May 15, 2019 5:02:49 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1910Operative  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 28, 2019 9:04:28 AM(UTC)
1910Operative

Man
United States

Oh, no.... The OP is still here. Don’t you worry. The post was deleted because I got my answer and figured I would stop wasting peoples time. Obviously, this forum doesn’t work that way. Nothing to do with lack of support, although I know you wish I felt that way. The support I received was an answered question. Good job interjecting yourself though. Gotta keep them post counts up, right? 5,098 and counting...

- A non-entitled Vet who gives up their own PT hours And rearranges their schedule to help out the team by working the backlogged items of others for a few OT hours per pay period. Nice try though, Frank.

Edited by user Tuesday, May 28, 2019 9:09:52 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

frankgonzalez  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 28, 2019 10:05:32 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Originally Posted by: 1910Operative Go to Quoted Post
Oh, no.... The OP is still here. Don’t you worry. The post was deleted because I got my answer and figured I would stop wasting peoples time. Obviously, this forum doesn’t work that way. Nothing to do with lack of support, although I know you wish I felt that way. The support I received was an answered question. Good job interjecting yourself though. Gotta keep them post counts up, right? 5,098 and counting...

- A non-entitled Vet who gives up their own PT hours And rearranges their schedule to help out the team by working the backlogged items of others for a few OT hours per pay period. Nice try though, Frank.
Let's see...lots of people have similar questions as those already asked and answered here in the forum...so keeping the question would help others vs deleting it. A simple "Thanks! Now I know!" would have sufficed to end your conversation.

As for your "non-entitled vet" claim...You asked if it were legal to require someone to give up gym time if they wanted overtime. Smacks of entitlement when asked that way. Followed by the delete after being told that it is perfectly legal and good stewardship of federal funds...well, it does raise questions. And now you are claiming you're such an angel by generously giving up your gym time to clear out the backlog for a little overtime. I'm amazed the supervision didn't end gym time for everyone until the backlog was cleared up! I expect your coworkers are grateful for your efforts, but I expect most vets wouldn't question having to give up the gym time to get the mission done, let alone question if it were legal for management to require that for OT. After all, mission comes first, right?

I'm not counting posts...I only do so when there is a question of veracity of a poster. Someone with 2 or 3 posts, especially having joined 3 years ago raises questions of is this a sock puppet account (we had quite a few here a few years ago...admins were playing "whack a mole" with them for a while) or is this a troll account (you called out someone in one post, and asked if something was legal in the other, both of which could be seen as attempts to rile up people, and a deletion after getting answers that do not appear to support the narrative your question put forth is similar to actions trolls have taken..., And now you try to insult me in your 3rd post..of the ones I'm aware of)? I respond to questions where I have input.

And to your point about being a non-entitled vet (doesn't really make you any better than anyone else...just a different path to where you are today)...I'm a disabled vet who also happens to be a military retiree. I am active on this forum, and like to help others when I can. I don't feel entitled at all, I feel lucky to be in the position and agency I am today (but I acknowledge the hard work I put in to get here)...and looking forward to what the future may bring my way!

Have fun here, help where you can, and over time, your post count will go up too...

Edited by user Tuesday, May 28, 2019 10:06:14 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed