Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
someoldguy  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2019 3:54:07 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 900 time(s) in 753 post(s)
Originally Posted by: agrodude Go to Quoted Post
I was contacted for an interview, and it been a week. The SO is waiting to hear back from the other applicants before they schedule the interview dates. I have not heard nothing back, expect the SO will contact me to schedule after they hear from the applicants. Is this normal?
Sounds familiar... I seem to recall a very similar situation and then they emailed me in the afternoon and asked if I would be available for a phone interview THE NEXT MORNING AT 9 AM!!!

Be prepared.
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
nembamike  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 8:23:59 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 207 time(s) in 186 post(s)
Originally Posted by: someoldguy Go to Quoted Post
I was contacted for an interview, and it been a week. The SO is waiting to hear back from the other applicants before they schedule the interview dates. I have not heard nothing back, expect the SO will contact me to schedule after they hear from the applicants. Is this normal?
Sounds familiar... I seem to recall a very similar situation and then they emailed me in the afternoon and asked if I would be available for a phone interview THE NEXT MORNING AT 9 AM!!!

Be prepared.

Same thing has happened to me as well. My experience is they generally give a weeks notice when scheduling.

Endless Summer  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 12:39:04 PM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 168 time(s) in 146 post(s)

It's frustrating but completely normal. It can be almost impossible to coordinate the schedules of 3-5 people to make them all available for an interview at the same time, even a phone interview. Add to this that they all need to review the resume/package and it's not uncommon for it to take 4-5 weeks before the team can be on the same page.

Hang in there, it will happen if it's meant to.

DaVinci95  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2019 4:37:47 AM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 68 time(s) in 65 post(s)
Thank you all for the feedback,

1. Why would the SO send out an email stating they would like to schedule an interview, without reviewing the resume first?

2. Wouldn't it make more sense to review first, then contact who you want to interview?

Its funny one of the SO wanted the contact information for my current supervisor. I am super close with my current supervisor. He is like a father to me. I know the SO never contacted him, but I emailed the SO. Since the position doesn't have an interview, and the score solely based on my resume and supervisory feedback. The SO said he was able to get ahold of my current supervisor...liar liar pants on fire. What happens if I get official letter on government letterhead from my supervisor say he was never contacted and email it to HR?

I should probably clarify, the job with an interview is for another position.

The SO does review the resumes and creates a list of potential interviewees before scheduling the interviews. The rest of the panel usually doesn't see the resumes until the interviews are set.

As for the other position, what do you think the letter would accomplish? There's no requirement to contact former supervisors. There's really no requirement to read resumes either. The SO could select one at random from the stack of eligibles, scan it to make sure it meets the minimum requirements of the announcement, and make the selection. The SO may have been lying or may have mistaken you for another candidate. It is easily explained away. If you weren't selected, your letter isn't going to change the selection and may sour your chances for future positions there.

I once had a candidate who applied for several positions in my office but wasn't selected. He filed a FOIA request thinking he was blackballed because he had formerly worked there as a contractor. The truth is his qualifications just weren't as good as the other applicants in each case. Even after the FOIA request I tried to evaluate him with an unbiased eye, but if it had come down to him and another candidate I would have selected the other guy because I don't want to invite that kind of drama into my office.
frankgonzalez  
#5 Posted : Friday, May 17, 2019 5:22:43 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 959 time(s) in 761 post(s)
I guess it's like what davinci said, they contacted one supervisor which has nothing to do with the job. I am surprised they never contacted my other current supervisor which is related to the job.
Your current supervisor is often taken with a grain of salt. They may talk you down so they don't lose you. They may talk you up to get rid of you. Or they may be honest. No idea unless I already know them (in my series, it is pretty small...and if I don't know the supervisor, I know someone who does, which does help some). So...the previous supervisors are more useful. The question I usually ask is "Would you hire them again and why?" The answer often tells me everything I need to know about the person.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
someoldguy  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 17, 2019 1:40:49 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 900 time(s) in 753 post(s)
Originally Posted by: nembamike Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: someoldguy Go to Quoted Post
...they emailed me in the afternoon and asked if I would be available for a phone interview THE NEXT MORNING AT 9 AM!!!
My experience is they generally give a weeks notice when scheduling.
Generally, yes. But like I say, be prepared.

Keep in mind, often it is a panel interview and they're trying to find a time when several people can be all be available at the same time for an extended time, since most likely they'll do a few interviews in a row. That's why it can sometimes be a little hectic.

Oh I just read @Endless Summer's post and they said about the same thing.

So it must be true :)

Edited by user Friday, May 17, 2019 1:42:32 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Somebody else said the same thing but I saw it after I posted

DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
GWPDA  
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2019 6:03:50 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 404 post(s)
It happens. You do know that basically everything stops around a federal holiday, right?
Endless Summer  
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2019 8:18:16 AM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Originally Posted by: Unknown User Go to Quoted Post
Trying to be patient, but I was contacted at the beginning of the month. The funny thing I interviewed for the same position at a different location, and it took the office a week to schedule an interview. I got a job offer a week later. You don't contact someone saying you want to interview. It extremely inconsiderate, I understand there maybe better candidates, friends; relatives. Do the job properly from the beginning, job applicants aren't here to be used to tell HR we contacted Joe Blow for an interview, but decided to go with Mary Jane because of favoritism/nepotism.

You overestimate the ease and consistency of getting things done in the fed world, and the evil intentions of the people on the hiring panels. I have been on panels where it took us a month after closing to get the interviews scheduled. I've been on one where, after we'd made our choice, HR told us they'd made an error in the referrals that negated the whole process.

The truth is, if I wanted to give the job to a friend, colleague, or relative, I would just interview you and say you weren't the best candidate. I don't have to explain a thing. There are a thousand ways to filter you out if that was the goal. It's far more likely that they are undermanned because of the holiday, I doubt there are more than 20% of my coworkers in the office this week.

If you got a FO for the same job, does that mean you turned them down? or are you just stringing them along in the hope that something better comes along? That may backfire on you.
Exit7A  
#9 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2019 12:54:47 PM(UTC)
Exit7A

United States

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 133 post(s)
Trying to be patient, but I was contacted at the beginning of the month. The funny thing I interviewed for the same position at a different location, and it took the office a week to schedule an interview. I got a job offer a week later. You don't contact someone saying you want to interview. It extremely inconsiderate, I understand there maybe better candidates, friends; relatives. Do the job properly from the beginning, job applicants aren't here to be used to tell HR we contacted Joe Blow for an interview, but decided to go with Mary Jane because of favoritism/nepotism.

Wide brush you using there. You don't know what is going on behind the scenes so making assumptions is not wise. You seem to already dislike this agency, so you should remove yourself from consideration.
That's all I got to say about that.
thanks 1 user thanked Exit7A for this useful post.
JOEPR on 5/30/2019(UTC)
JOEPR  
#10 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2019 10:41:24 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Exit7A Go to Quoted Post

Wide brush you using there. You don't know what is going on behind the scenes so making assumptions is not wise. You seem to already dislike this agency, so you should remove yourself from consideration.

Agreed is kind odd of why you complains about X for a interview but in the other hand you god a job offer(take that job offer and make the best of it ).
now the favoritism and nepotism easy on that one don't make accusation on less you got evidence.
and also i agreed you bit dislike the agency. If i got a penny for every application or interview that i got a answer 6 months later i won't be working right now

habu987  
#11 Posted : Friday, May 31, 2019 5:38:19 AM(UTC)
habu987

United States

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 25 post(s)
I'll one up you!

Applied for a position that closed in mid March, got referred a few days after it closed, then got an email in mid April saying I'd been selected to interview and to pick my top three choices of first come first serve interview slots later that week. I promptly responded, but got no confirmation. After three more emails and a voicemail to the contact that week and the following week, nothing. Got completely ghosted, and still have heard nothing about it.
Endless Summer  
#12 Posted : Friday, May 31, 2019 5:44:22 PM(UTC)
Endless Summer

I love the agency, but like the police there are bad and good coops. This type of situation is based on culture and geographic region. Of course it's an accusation, how else are you suppose to prove it. The only way to prove it you have be working for them. You have to file a claim with the agency and get FOIA documents.

What is your opinion when an agency hires a relatives or friends through limited authority, and when a regular non-related applicant applies for a limited authority position they tell them nothing is available. As soon as you walk out the door, their friend walks in the door. The hiring manager hands them a limited authority position. Then when a funded vacancy comes online, their friend can say I got the qualifications and converts them to permanent employees with benefits.

Another problem, is state hiring manager get there family and friends state jobs without the qualification. Then there friends in the federal side can hire them. That what takes place in my neck of wood. I work in a field were I collaborate with fed employees and work at their office. I grew up my town all my life, and it's part of the culture to give out jobs to relatives and friends without regards to hiring qualified candidates. I seen a whole bunch of corrupt hiring take place, but people are to afraid to report it in small towns.

You don't need to work for an agency in order to file a FOIA request. Second, you keep mentioning them hiring friends, and that you've spent your entire life in this one small town... that's food for thought.

There are always going to be people working the system. Heck, I'm convinced that 80% of any job is just not being a jerk to your coworkers. Carrying every insult around with you for the rest of your life isn't going to be of any help to you.

There doesn't have to be a huge conspiracy to hire people they want. Just today I saw a job posting for Hawaii. It was open only to current employees of that agency, it was open for 24 hours only, no PCS, and a rigid set of qualifications. All perfectly legal.
GWPDA  
#13 Posted : Friday, May 31, 2019 5:45:52 PM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 404 post(s)
What would I say? I'd say you were working for the Executive Office of the President. Surely tho, I'd be wrong. Surely.
thanks 1 user thanked GWPDA for this useful post.
SD Analyst on 6/6/2019(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed