Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sisymay  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2019 7:55:33 PM(UTC)
sisymay

Groups: Registered
United States

Hi. I was RCA still in training. I resigned after my 5th day in office training (casing and on route). I barely received any training at all, and got no training as specified in the training manual that I received from RCA academy. I was made to go out on route with only 2 hours of casing training, and NO training at all as far as how to load the truck, how to mark parcels, how to follow route, what to do when I return to office, etc.

My supervisor jumped all over me when I finally returned at 6:30 pm after I brought back a lot of mail. I told her the reasons I was late, she said none of it mattered. I was in tears and left. This was last Wednesday. The next morning I called and told them I was resigning, and was told to come in and fill out a resignation form. I did, and included my reasons for resigning.

Yesterday, I saw an RCA opening at a smaller office closer to where I live and applied for it. I don't know if I'm eligible for rehire. After I finished the application, I immediately got an email with a link to do the 'virtual entry assesment'. After I did it, I got an email saying my rating is 'ineligible' and I won't be considered for the position. I am wondering why, because I passed it the first time I took it.

Is there anyone within the USPS I can talk to, to let them know I'm very interested in this position and I know I can do the job if I am trained properly?

Thanks so much !

roger.d  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2019 8:31:40 PM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Was thanked: 702 time(s) in 548 post(s)
Originally Posted by: sisymay Go to Quoted Post
Hi. I was RCA still in training. I resigned after my 5th day in office training (casing and on route). I barely received any training at all, and got no training as specified in the training manual that I received from RCA academy. I was made to go out on route with only 2 hours of casing training, and NO training at all as far as how to load the truck, how to mark parcels, how to follow route, what to do when I return to office, etc.

My supervisor jumped all over me when I finally returned at 6:30 pm after I brought back a lot of mail. I told her the reasons I was late, she said none of it mattered. I was in tears and left. This was last Wednesday. The next morning I called and told them I was resigning, and was told to come in and fill out a resignation form. I did, and included my reasons for resigning.

Yesterday, I saw an RCA opening at a smaller office closer to where I live and applied for it. I don't know if I'm eligible for rehire. After I finished the application, I immediately got an email with a link to do the 'virtual entry assesment'. After I did it, I got an email saying my rating is 'ineligible' and I won't be considered for the position. I am wondering why, because I passed it the first time I took it.

Is there anyone within the USPS I can talk to, to let them know I'm very interested in this position and I know I can do the job if I am trained properly?

Thanks so much !

Did you receive a PS50? In the comment section it might say something to the effect of "do not rehire". If so, you are done.

Learn to discipline yourself, so someone else doesn't have to
sisymay  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2019 8:34:59 PM(UTC)
sisymay

United States

No I haven't received anything.
Yukoncarrier24  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2019 10:31:44 PM(UTC)
Yukoncarrier24

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 21 post(s)
What makes you think they will train you any better in a new office? And management will probably treat you the same
roger.d  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 10:05:20 AM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Was thanked: 702 time(s) in 548 post(s)
Try calling the HR number to see if it recognizes your employees number.
Learn to discipline yourself, so someone else doesn't have to
sisymay  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 10:38:30 AM(UTC)
sisymay

United States

I tried, it doesn't.
postalvet  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 4:30:42 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 2831 time(s) in 2230 post(s)

Thanks so much !

I would say when you submitted the completed assessment you were crossed referenced and found to be already a postal employee, because management does not move that fast to remove you from the rolls.

wait a while and apply again by creating a new profile.

you could go to the new office and explain everything and if you get good vibes they might be able to help. then again it might be the same office as a lot of offices are connected and then you are out of luck.
Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
colty31  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 6:43:09 PM(UTC)
colty31

United States

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 64 post(s)
You shouldn't have quit so quickly before. Everyone struggles as a new CCA/RCA. Yes, some offices are better at training/easing people into the full job but most aren't.

Did you consider sticking it out before? All you can do is just try and improve a little each day.

As a hiring manager, I'd have a hard time giving someone a second chance that quit after 5 days when there are other eager applicants wanting the job.

Good luck tho.
122intheshade  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 7:47:33 PM(UTC)
122intheshade

Pitcairn
Location: Bankin' off of the northeast wind, sailin' on a summer breeze

Was thanked: 551 time(s) in 441 post(s)
The good news for you, is that most offices only see your application, not past postal work history. I was an RCA twice, and the second time they had no idea that I'd been one before. And before I was a CCA, I had been "let go" and "allowed to quit" as an RCA. Didn't matter. I got hired.

The test thing is a bit tricky. I passed the test the first time, then tried to use it my second go-round, and for some reason it wasn't "accepted" even though the passing result is good for several years. Eventually I just took it again, passed, and continued on. I believe the issue might be that not enough time has passed from when you took and passed the test, to a new application. Try waiting a couple weeks, and then try using the score. The application process should prompt you with something like, "You have a passing score. Do you want to use it, or take the test again in hopes of a better score?"

Finally, if you really want to be a carrier, apply as a CCA. Better union, faster conversion.
We decide which is right; and which is an illusion. I've got blisters on me fingers!
sisymay  
#10 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2019 6:54:56 AM(UTC)
sisymay

United States

To colty31, what would have happened if I come in from the route the next day and still had a lot of mail left over? I knew I would have. Boss kept saying we don't bring back mail, and there was no excuse for bringing it back. Is is normal not to get correct training?
Rural guy  
#11 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2019 11:50:26 AM(UTC)
Rural guy

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 53 post(s)

Thanks so much !

"
So you completed academy training, that's 3 or 4 days now. Then after your "5th day in office training (casing and on route)" you state "you barely received any training at all" Didn't you ride the full route either observing or delivering with the regular carrier? Didn't you watch how the regular loads the truck? (many regulars don't mark parcels) Sorry if this sounds harsh but 5 days of training is more than the contractual minimum of 32 hours. You may not be cut out for this job. I know many supervisors will pay much more training time if they feel it will help and many more work on the swim or sink theory. As somebody already pointed out you may not get any better or more training somewhere else. RCA is just not a very good job anymore if you really want to try and make the USPS a career then apply for a CCA (city carrier assistant) or even PSE (clerk) (postal support employee) Either of those would lead to a career position in far fewer years than RCA. (99% of the time)
sisymay  
#12 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2019 12:24:25 PM(UTC)
sisymay

United States

32 hours contractual?? HA! I didn't get 32 hrs training. I got 4 hrs training, all casing. Training in office was 2 hours each day for 5 days, of which NONE was on the route. For 2 of those 5 days my regular wasn't there and someone took her place who didn't train me. He just showed me what he was doing. I tried to pay attention and take notes the best I could, but it was so confusing.

I should have clarified in my original post here that I received 4 hours case training instead of 2.

No, I did not go out on the full route with the regular. I was not shown how to load the truck, mark parcels, what to do before leaving office, etc because the other person who was there when the regular was out didn't show me any of that. Plus, I had to leave after 2 hrs, before that part even started. The next week, I was told to go out on the route and do 2 rows. The regular tried to show me the best she could on what to do before I left, but I couldn't remember it all after just talking/showing me for a few minutes.

I tried to follow the route list, I had no where to put it so I had to hold it in my hand while I was driving, to try and keep up with each street to turn on. I got lost so many times because some box numbers were not in order. Some roads were retrace back. It was so confusing, having never been on the route before at all. When I got back at 6:30pm, boss asked why I brought back so much mail, and that none is suppose to be brought back. She jumped all over me. When I told her I haven't had much training at all and that I had never been on the route before, she said 'that's no excuse'. I was never taught what to do when returning to office, either. Boss just said 'we'll leave all this mail for the regular tomorrow' and said I could leave. I don't even know what was suppose to be done when coming back from the route.

If anyone can take that crap, more power to 'em.

Edited by user Saturday, May 18, 2019 12:28:58 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

sisymay  
#13 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2019 2:38:46 PM(UTC)
sisymay

United States

I don't know. But from what I've been hearing from other employees, you are probably right.
sisymay  
#14 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2019 2:40:47 PM(UTC)
sisymay

United States

I would say when you submitted the completed assessment you were crossed referenced and found to be already a postal employee, because management does not move that fast to remove you from the rolls.

wait a while and apply again by creating a new profile.

you could go to the new office and explain everything and if you get good vibes they might be able to help. then again it might be the same office as a lot of offices are connected and then you are out of luck.

I'm thinking about going to the office, good idea.
colty31  
#15 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2019 4:29:08 PM(UTC)
colty31

United States

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 64 post(s)
To colty31, what would have happened if I come in from the route the next day and still had a lot of mail left over? I knew I would have. Boss kept saying we don't bring back mail, and there was no excuse for bringing it back. Is is normal not to get correct training?

In my office, we have to help newer CCAs/RCAs if they're struggling. Some pick it up faster than others/

They should have sent you someone to help you finish/always call and update your status around 2pm
Rss Feed  Atom Feed